These black forest cupcakes are full of chocolate, cherries, and whipped cream cheese. These moist chocolate cupcakes are filled with a cherry cinnamon pie filling. They are dunked in chocolate and topped with whipped cream cheese. They are super decadent!
Black forest cake/cupcakes are full of chocolate, cherries, and a whipped cream. This recipe has all of these in the cupcakes!
Instead of a whipped cream, there is a whipped cream cheese. The tang of the cream cheese pairs well with the cherries.
If you are looking for more summer recipes, try roasted cherry brownies, peach cobbler cake, and strawberry semi-naked cake.
Why You Will Love This
- Easy to make- These cupcakes are super easy to make! It is much easier than make a full layered black forest cake.
- Filled cupcakes- You can't resist a filled cupcake!
- Cinnamon cherry pie filling- I made a cherry pie filling but it is loaded with cinnamon for extra flavor.
- Chocolate ganache- These cupcakes are dunked in chocolate!
- Whipped cream cheese- This tastes so good! Even better than whipped cream.
These are some notes about the ingredients used.
- Room temperature dairy ingredients- Pull these out 2 hours before baking.
- Dutch process cocoa powder- I used this one. Dutch process cocoa powder leads to a richer chocolate flavor.
- Buttermilk- Use fresh buttermilk from the store. See substitutions.
- Oil- You can use canola, vegetable, or olive oil.
- Hot water- You can also use hot coffee. I always use hot water.
- Cherries- I used sweet cherries. You can use frozen for the filling. Let them thaw first.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream cheese.
Step By Step Instructions
Here are the steps to make the cupcakes, filling, and the whipped cream cheese.
STEP 1: First, line the cupcake tin with cupcake liners. You need cupcake liners for this recipe.
STEP 2: Next, mix the dry ingredients. Make sure to sift the flour and cocoa powder to avoid any lumps. Whisk it all together.
STEP 3: Mix the wet ingredients together. Save the hot water for the fourth step. After mixing the wet ingredients, add to the dry. Mix until combined.
STEP 4: Then, slowly add in the hot water. Go slowly to not to overcook the eggs.
STEP 5: Next, pour the cupcake batter into the cupcake liners. Fill ⅔rds full. Then, bake for 18-20 minutes. Let these cool completely.
STEP 6: Cherry pie filling. Mix all of the ingredients into a saucepan. Mix and heat on medium heat. Once the cherries are softened, mash them with the back of a wooden spoon. Heat until thickened.
STEP 7: Whipped cream cheese. Beat the cream cheese and the powdered sugar together. It should be creamy with no lumps remaining. Add in the vanilla.
STEP 8: Beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Then, add the whipped cream to the cream cheese mixture. Fold very gently. Then, freeze until it is more solid.
STEP 9: Cut a hole in the cupcake ⅔rds down. Fill it with the cherry pie filling. Dunk it in the chocolate ganache. Then, top it with whipped cream cheese.
When you are making the cupcakes, make sure not to overmix the batter. Mix just until combined. If you overmix it can affect the texture and the rise.
The cherry pie filling should be cooked just until thickened. Then, remove it from the heat and remove it from the hot pan.
The whipped cream cheese will be very soft before you freeze it. Freezing it is essential before you decorate.
Next, if the whipped cream cheese gets too soft while decorating, put it back in the freezer.
How To Get The Swirl
First, top the cupcakes with the frosting. Then, go around the sides of the frosting, and smooth the top.
Next, dip an offset spatula in the juice from the cherry pie filling. Swirl it in the whipped cream cheese. Place them back in the freezer to get firm before serving.
- Buttermilk- If you can't find buttermilk, mix ½ cup cows milk with ½ tablespoon of lemon juice. Then, let it sit for 10 minutes before using.
- Other fruit- If you don't like cherries, you can use strawberries, berries, apples, peaches, etc.
- Cocoa powder- You can use regular cocoa powder, they won't be as dark in color like mine.
Black forest cake is layers of chocolate cake with cherry pie filling and whipped cream. It also can involve Kirsch.
I don't drink alcohol, so I don't bake with it. If you would like to add it you can! Add 1 tablespoon of Kirsch.
Yes! Double the cake recipe, but keep the rest of it the same. Bake in a 9X13 pan for 25-30 minutes.
Yes it can! Double the entire recipe for a three layer 8 inch cake.
Storing and Freezing
Store these black forest cupcakes in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
You can freeze these cupcakes before you fill them. Wrap them in cling wrap and store up to 30 days in the freezer. Thaw for 1 hour before you decorate.
Other Cupcake Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Make sure to tag me on Instagram @stephaniesweettreats. I hope you loved it! To get more ideas follow me on Pinterest.
Black Forest Cupcakes
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Buttermilk room temperature
- ¼ cup Oil
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- ½ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup Hot water
Cherry Pie Filling
- 2 cups Fresh cherries pitted, washed, cut in half.
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup Chocolate chips semi-sweet
- ¼ cup Heavy cream
Whipped Cream Cheese
- 12 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups Powdered sugar sifted
- ⅔ cups Heavy cream cold
- Cherries for decoration
- Chopped chocolate optional for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.⅓ cup Dutch process cocoa powder, ¾ cup White granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Baking soda, ¼ teaspoon Baking powder, 1 teaspoon Salt
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix until combined. Heat the hot water on the stove until steaming. Slowly pour into the batter. Go slow to not to over heat the eggs.½ cup Buttermilk, ¼ cup Oil, 2 Large eggs, ½ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ½ cup Hot water
- Fill the muffin liners ⅔rds full with cupcake batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. The cupcakes are done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes sit in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack. Let them cool completely before decorating.
Cherry Pie Filling
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, combined cherries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, cinnamon, and vanilla. Stir continuously.2 cups Fresh cherries, ¼ cup White granulated sugar, 2 tablespoon Cornstarch, 1 tablespoon Lemon juice, 1 ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Stir until the cherries start to release their juice and soften. Lightly mash the cherries using the back of a wooden spoon. Stir until it starts to thicken slightly. Take off the heat and let it cool.
- Use a cupcake corer or sharp knife to cut a hole ⅔rds down the cupcake. Fill the cupcakes to the top with cherry filling. Toss the tops of the cupcake.
- Pour chocolate chips in a bowl. Heat heavy cream in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat until steaming. Pour heavy cream over chocolate chips.½ cup Chocolate chips, ¼ cup Heavy cream
- Let it sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Stir until smooth and silky. If any chocolate chunks remain, heat in the microwave for 10 second intervals.
- Dunk the cupcakes into the chocolate. Place cupcakes in the fridge to set the chocolate.
Whipped Cream Cheese
- Place metal bowl with whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes to get cold. Using a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese on high for 1 minute.12 oz Cream cheese
- Add in the sifted powdered sugar. Mix on low until combined. Switch to high and beat until smooth. Add in the vanilla.4 cups Powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- In the cold bowl, beat the heavy cream on high until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Be gentle and careful to not over mix. Place whipped cream cheese in the freezer for 20 minutes until firm.⅔ cups Heavy cream
- Frost the cupcakes. Optional, using your offset spatula, dip it in the cherry pie filling. Then, swirl it on top of the cupcakes. Top with a cherry and chopped chocolate.Cherries, Chopped chocolate
These are so good. Black Forest cake in a cupcake. Genius.