This strawberry semi-naked cake is a layered vanilla cake filled with diced fresh strawberries. It is topped with cream cheese frosting and extra fresh strawberries. It is decorated for a semi-naked look with lots of filling.
This strawberry semi-naked cake is such a classic cake. It is a vanilla cake with fresh strawberry filling. The cake is decorated in a semi-naked look!
Why You Will Love This
- Vanilla cake- The vanilla cake layers are very soft and moist.
- Fresh strawberry filling-The filling has diced fresh strawberries for a very vibrant spring/ summer flavor.
- Cream cheese frosting- This cream cheese frosting goes so well with this cake! The tang from the cream cheese mixed with the strawberries is wonderful.
- Semi-naked cake- Decorating the cake in a semi-naked look is even easier than fully frosting it!
- Dairy ingredients- Pull these out 2 hours before baking.
- Sour cream- Use full fat sour cream.
- Cake flour- I tried this with both cake flour and all-purpose flour. Cake flour gives it the best texture and quality.
- Buttermilk- You can use ¾ cup whole milk and 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes before using.
- Strawberries- This recipe needs fresh strawberries.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream cheese.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure it is sifted to avoid a gritty frosting.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake this cake.
STEP 1: Beat the butter and sugar. Beat this on high to get a fluffy texture.
STEP 2: Add in the wet ingredients. Next, add in sour cream, vanilla, and eggs. It will appear lumpy, but this is normal.
STEP 3: Add in dry ingredients and buttermilk. Alternate these and mix it on low.
STEP 4: Bake the cake. Bake the cake for 16-19 minutes.
STEP 5: Cream cheese frosting. Beat the cream cheese and the butter. Next, add in the powdered sugar until mixed in. It will be thick.
Then, add in vanilla, heavy cream, and vanilla. Mix until fluffy.
What Size Pans
This recipe makes three 8 inch cake layers. However, you can use 6 inch cake pans to get a thicker layer of cake.
Make sure to spray the pans well with baking non-stick spray and place an 8 inch parchment circle on the bottom of each pan to prevent sticking.
Assembling The Cake
Place small amount of frosting on the board you are decorating on. This will keep the cakes in place.
Place the first layer of cake bottom side down. Use a serrated knife or a cake leveler to get a flat surface. Spread 1 cup of frosting over the cake and pipe a frosting border around the edges. The border will keep the strawberries inside.
Fill the cake layer with diced strawberries, They should be compacted in, but flat before stacking the cakes.
Repeat with the second layer. The last layer should be bottom side up to get the flattest surface for the top of the cake.
Use a cake scrapper to smooth the frosting around the edges. If there are gaps, pipe in extra frosting and smooth again. Freeze for 10 minutes to set the fillings.
Apply frosting around the cake. Use the cake scrapper to smooth the cake. To achieve the semi-naked look, there should be peaks of cake poking through the frosting.
Top with fresh strawberries. I used almost a full container of strawberries to top the cake. The more the better!
Yes it can. Divide the recipe in half to make 12 cupcakes.
This will make a 9X13 cake. Divide the recipe in half for an 8X8 cake.
Yes. It will make 2 layers using 9 inch cake pans.
Storing and Freezing
Store this strawberry semi-naked cake in an airtight container. Store in the fridge for 5 days.
You can freeze the vanilla cake layers if you make it ahead of time. Once the cakes are cool, wrap in cling wrap and store in the freezer. They should only be in the freezer for less than a week. Pull the cake out for 1 hour before decorating the cake.
You can also freeze the cake slices of this strawberry semi-naked cake. Wrap each slice in cling wrap and store in an air tight container and freeze up to 30 days.
Pull the cake slices out for 1 hour before eating.
Other Cake Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Strawberry Semi-Naked Cake
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ½ cups White granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 4 Large eggs room temperature
- 3 cups Cake flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¾ cup Buttermilk room temperature
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 1 ½ cups Unsalted butter slightly cold
- 8 cups Powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tablespoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups Diced Strawberries
- Strawberries whole and half strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray three 8 inch cake pans with baking non-stick spray. Place 8 inch parchment circles on the bottom of the pan. Spray again.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Using a mixer, beat the butter and sugar on high for 4 minutes. Scrape the bowl.
- Add in sour cream and vanilla. Beat until combined. Scrape the bowl and add the eggs one at time. Once combined, scrape the bowl to make sure all the butter is mixed in.
- Add in ⅓ of the dry ingredients and half of the buttermilk, mix until just combined. Add another ⅓ of the dry ingredients and the rest of the buttermilk. Then, add the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter evenly between the three cake pans by using a kitchen scale. Bake for 16-19 minutes. The cakes are done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cakes sit in the pans for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow cakes to cool completely before decorating
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Set the butter on the counter for 30 minutes. This will let it get slightly cold. While waiting, sift the powdered sugar.
- Using a mixer, beat the cream cheese. Beat on high for 1 minute. Add in the butter and beat for 3 minutes until soft and fluffy.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar. Then, add salt, vanilla, and heavy cream. Mix on low until just combined. Turn to high and beat for 3 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to beat the air bubbles out.
- Place a small amount of frosting on the bottom of the board you are decorating on. This will keep your cake in place while decorating.
- Place first layer of cake on the bottom side down. Place 1 cup of frosting on the cake and smooth. Pipe a layer of frosting around the border of the cake to keep the filling in. Fill the entire layer with diced strawberries. Repeat with the second layer. Place the last layer bottom side down.
- Fill any gaps between filling and cake with extra frosting and smooth. Freeze for 10 minutes. Then, apply a light layer of frosting around the whole cake. There should be parts of the cake peeking through. Top with fresh strawberries.