This chocolate ganache cake is a square easy to make moist chocolate cake. It is topped with a chocolate ganache frosting. This chocolate cake recipe is a delicious take on a classic recipe.
This chocolate ganache cake recipe is a perfect moist cake with the best chocolate ganache frosting you have ever had. A simple chocolate cake like this needs to stand out based on its good quality and this homemade chocolate cake delivers.
Why This Recipe Works
- Chocolate flavor- This decadent cake delivers on flavor. It is SO good and I can confidently say it is the BEST chocolate ganache cake.
- Moist cake- This cake has the perfect tender texture and is moist and delicious. It is hard not to eat the entire cake!
- Easy recipe- This recipe is simple and easy to follow. It is simple enough and tastes so good that you won't ever want to go back to a cake mix.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- I strongly recommend dutch process cocoa powder for a more rich chocolate flavor. This is the one I used.
- Oil- Use canola oil, vegetable oil, or olive oil.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking to get room temperature eggs.
- Buttermilk- Use full fat or reduced fat buttermilk. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Hot water- The water needs to be steaming. The hot water helps to bloom the chocolate. You can also use hot coffee instead.
- Chocolate Chips- Use semi-sweet chocolate chips for the best flavor as milk chocolate will be too sweet.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake this chocolate ganache cake.
STEP 1: Prep. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Then, spray a 9X9 inch square pan with baking nonstick spray. Place parchment paper on the bottom and spray again.
STEP 2: Dry ingredients. In a large bowl, sift together all purpose flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
STEP 3: Wet ingredients. Heat water on the stove until it is steaming. In a separate bowl, mix the oil, vanilla extract, eggs, and buttermilk. Then, add the water at a low speed whisking it in, being sure not to add it fast enough to cook the eggs.
STEP 4: Combine. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. There should be few lumps when you are done.
STEP 5: Bake. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake it for 25-30 minutes. It is done when a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
STEP 6: Cool. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, transfer it to a cooling rack to cool completely before decorating.
STEP 7: Melt ganache. In a heatproof bowl, add the chocolate chips. Then, heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan over low medium heat until steaming.
Pour the heavy cream over the chocolate chips and let it sit for 2 minutes. Mix it with a rubber spatula until combined. Heat in a microwave if there are remaining chunks.
STEP 8: Whip ganache. Let the ganache cool for 1 hour stirring every 20 minutes. Once it is pudding consistency (thick, but creamy), use a hand mixer to beat the ganache until it is a fluffy frosting with spreadable consistency.
Frost the top of the cake with the whipped chocolate ganache and enjoy!
Expert Baking Tips
- Properly measure the flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour. Compacted flour can cause the cake to be dry.
- To easily remove the cake from the pan, make sure to first spray the pan with baking nonstick spray. Then, line bottoms with parchment paper, so when it is time to remove the cake, it can be easily lifted out of the pan. The key is to make sure you leave enough coming out of the sides to use as handles.
- For high altitude baking add 2 tablespoon of flour to the cake batter.
- When frosting use an offset spatula to spread it in an even layer.
Yes you can make the cake ahead of time! Once the cake layer is done cooling, wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Then, freeze up to 30 days. Pull it out 1 hour before decorating.
Yes you can. An 8X8 pan will make a thicker cake. A 9in round pan will also work, but will be slightly thicker than a 9 in square as well.
Yes it can! This recipe will make roughly 12 cupcakes.
Storing and Freezing
Store this chocolate ganache cake in an airtight container like a cake carrier. Store in the fridge up to 5 days.
You can freeze the chocolate ganache cake in individual cake slices. Place in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days.
Other Cake Recipes To Try
Chocolate Ganache Cake
- 1 ¼ cup All-purpose flour
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tablespoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Oil canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup Buttermilk room temperature
- ½ cup Steaming hot water Or you can use hot coffee
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- 2 cups Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 ¼ cups Heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9X9-inch square pan with baking nonstick spray. Place parchment paper on the bottom and spray again. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.1 ¼ cup All-purpose flour, ¾ cup White granulated sugar, ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, ½ tablespoon Baking powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Heat the water on the stove top until steaming. In a separate mixing bowl, mix the oil, vanilla, eggs, and buttermilk. Then, very slowly whisk in the hot water.½ cup Oil, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 2 Large eggs, ½ cup Buttermilk, ½ cup Steaming hot water
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk until just combined. There should be minimal lumps in the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake sit in the hot pan for 10 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack. Cool completely before decorating.
- In a bowl, add the chocolate chips. Heat the heavy cream in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until steaming and hot.2 cups Semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 ¼ cups Heavy cream
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips. Let it sit for 2 minutes. Then, mix using a rubber spatula until combined. If any chocolate chunks remain, heat in the microwave until melted.
- Let the ganache sit on the counter for 2 hours. Stir it every 20 minutes. We are looking for the consistency of pudding. Light and creamy with a bit of thickness.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the ganache until fluffy.
- Frost the top of the cake with the frosting.