These chocolate marshmallow cookies are for my chocolate lovers! There is a small chocolate cookie loaded with chocolate chips baked thumbprint cookie style. On top is a fluffy and melty marshmallow dipped in chocolate. To balance the flavor, don't forget the flaky sea salt!
How To Make Chocolate Cookie Dough
This chocolate cookie dough is similar to regular chocolate chip cookie dough, but with cocoa powder!
- Beat butter and sugars- Use a mixer to beat the butter and sugar together. It should be very soft and fluffy! This is key to a chewy cookie!
- Add in vanilla and eggs- Mix in the vanilla and eggs one at a time. Scrape the bowl to make sure it is all mixed together.
- Add in dry ingredients- Use a sifter to make sure no dry lumps remain. Some cocoa powder can clump up. After mixing, it should be thick and slightly wet.
- Mix in two types of chocolate chips- Use both semi-sweet chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips. The milk chocolate chips help to balance the chocolate flavor.
What Type Of Cocoa Powder To Use
I strongly recommend using a dutch process cocoa powder. Using a regular cocoa powder will have a lighter chocolate flavor and a lighter color in general. My favorite cocoa powder is this one. It is a dark cocoa powder, which gives this cookie dough a dark chocolate look and taste.
Chilling The Dough
Chilling the dough is so important to prevent over spreading cookies in the oven. Don't skip this step! Chill the dough for 45 minutes.
Then, use a cookie scoop to scoop the dough. Next, place on a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
If you want to chill the dough overnight, first let it chill for 45 minutes. Then, scoop the dough into the cookie dough balls. Cover and chill overnight. It will need an extra 1-2 minutes baking time. If you try to scoop very cold dough, it will be too tough and hard.
Baking The Cookies
Bake the cookies for 8 minutes. They will be slightly underdone. Take the marshmallows and cut them horizontally. Place the marshmallow into the cookie. This will make the cookies thumbprint style.
Bake again for 2 minutes. This will finish baking the cookie and the marshmallow with melt slightly.
While it is still hot, use your fingers to squish the marshmallow down slightly. To get perfectly circular cookies, use a spoon to straighten out the edges.
Let the cookies cool completely before dipping in chocolate.
Dipping In Chocolate
First, make the chocolate ganache. Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan, then pour over chocolate chips. Let it sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds before stirring.
While the chocolate is warm, dip the top of the cookie into the chocolate. Shake the cookie slightly to drip excess chocolate off. If, after dipping the cookies, there is marshmallow poking through, spoon a tiny bit of chocolate on top.
Let the cookies sit for at least 30 minutes for chocolate to start to set before eating. Don't forget that flaky sea salt!
Storing The Cookies
The cookies can be stored at room temperature or in the fridge. Make sure they are covered in an airtight container. They will last up to 5 days.
Other Recipes To Try
- Sprinkle chocolate chip cookies
- Caramel chocolate chip cookies
- White chip double chocolate cookies
- Peanut butter cookies
Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
- 1 ¾ cups All-purpose flour
- ¾ cup Unsweetened dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ½ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ cups Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Milk chocolate chips
- 18 Marshmallows cut in half
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup Heavy cream
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Using a mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and sugar together for 1-2 minutes until very fluffy.
- Add in vanilla and eggs. Add the eggs one at time and mix on low. Scrape the bowl and mix for another 10 seconds. Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Add chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips and mix.
- Cover bowl and chill in the fridge for 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper. Use a 1 ½ TBSP cookie scoop to scoop 12 cookies per cookie sheet. While cookies bake keep dough in the fridge.
- Bake 1 tray at a time for 8 minutes. Then, place half of a marshmallow in the middle of each cookie. Bake for another 2 minutes. Lightly squish each marshmallow and use a spoon to round the cookies. Let cookies cool on cookie sheet for 4 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Pour chocolate chips into a bowl. Set aside. Heat heavy cream over medium heat in a saucepan. Heat until hot and steaming. Pour hot cream over the chocolate chips. Let it sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Stir until smooth. If any tiny chunks of chocolate chips remain. Heat in microwave for 10 second intervals until melted (stir in between).
- Dip each cookie (marshmallow side down) in chocolate. Shake off excess and place back on wire rack. Allow the chocolate to set for 30 minutes before topping with sea salt and enjoy.