These chocolate marshmallow cookies are for my chocolate lovers! There is a small chocolate cookie loaded with chocolate chips baked thumbprint cookie style. On top is a fluffy and melty marshmallow dipped in chocolate. To balance the flavor, don't forget the flaky sea salt!
These chocolate marshmallow cookies combine a chewy chocolate cookie with a gooey marshmallow. These are made thumbprint cookie style with a marshmallow right in the middle!
I felt the cookies needed a little more, so they are dipped in a chocolate ganache. The sea salt is a must to balance out the flavors!
Why You Will Love This
- Chewy chocolate cookie- I took regular chocolate chips cookies and turned them into a double chocolate cookie.
- Marshmallow- The marshmallows are cut in half and baked for a few minutes. This makes them gooey!
- Chocolate ganache- These cookies are dipped in chocolate. Which makes them seem fancy.
- Easy to make- These cookies are incredibly easy to make!
Here are some notes about the ingredients used.
- Room temperature dairy ingredients- Pull the butter and eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Dutch process cocoa powder- I used this one. Use the dutch process to get a deeper chocolate flavor.
- Chocolate chips- I like the balance of flavors by using semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips.
- Marshmallows- Use the regular size.
- Flaky sea salt- I use this one.
Step By Step Instructions
Here are the steps to make and bake these cookies.
STEP 1: First, mix the dry ingredients. Mix all the ingredients. Use a sifter to prevent flour lumps from getting into the dough.
STEP 2: Next, beat the butter and sugars. Beat these on high to get it nice and fluffy. This helps to aerate the butter.
STEP 3: Add in the vanilla and eggs. Mix the batter until combined. Don't forget to scrape the bowl!
STEP 4: Then, add in the dry ingredients. Add in both types of chocolate chips.
STEP 5: Next, chill the dough. Chill the dough for 45 minutes. This will solidify the butter before baking.
STEP 6: Scoop the cookie dough. Use a 1 oz cookie scoop and create a heaping cookie dough ball. Bake for 8 minutes.
STEP 7: Top with half of a marshmallow. Then, bake for another 2 minutes. Squish the marshmallow down slightly.
STEP 8: Chocolate ganache. Make the ganache and dip the cookies in the chocolate. Top with sea salt.
When you are making the cookie dough, it is really important to aerate the butter.
Beat the butter and the sugar on high. Beat these for several minutes. It should be incredibly fluffy. When the butter is aerated it will create a chewier cookie.
Also, make sure you chill the dough. If you want cookies that don't spread a lot, then chill the dough!
Next, squishing the marshmallow is optional. I like to have the marshmallow level with my cookie.
Yes. You can make these into a 3oz cookie. Use 2 halves of the marshmallows on the cookie.
I haven't recipe tested this. If you make these with an egg substitution, let me know!
No. You don't have to.
Storing and Freezing
Store these cookies at room temperature in an airtight container. They will last up to 5 days.
Freeze these cookies in an airtight container up to 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour before eating.
Other Cookie Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
- 1 ¾ cups All-purpose flour
- ¾ cup Unsweetened dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ½ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ cups Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Milk chocolate chips
- 18 Marshmallows cut in half
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup Heavy cream
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Using a mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and sugar together for 1-2 minutes until very fluffy.
- Add in vanilla and eggs. Add the eggs one at time and mix on low. Scrape the bowl and mix for another 10 seconds. Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Add chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips and mix.
- Cover bowl and chill in the fridge for 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper. Use a 1 ½ tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop 12 cookies per cookie sheet. While cookies bake keep dough in the fridge.
- Bake 1 tray at a time for 8 minutes. Then, place half of a marshmallow in the middle of each cookie. Bake for another 2 minutes. Lightly squish each marshmallow and use a spoon to round the cookies. Let cookies cool on cookie sheet for 4 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Pour chocolate chips into a bowl. Set aside. Heat heavy cream over medium heat in a saucepan. Heat until hot and steaming. Pour hot cream over the chocolate chips. Let it sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Stir until smooth. If any tiny chunks of chocolate chips remain. Heat in microwave for 10 second intervals until melted (stir in between).
- Dip each cookie (marshmallow side down) in chocolate. Shake off excess and place back on wire rack. Allow the chocolate to set for 30 minutes before topping with sea salt and enjoy.