These are classic baked chocolate glazed donuts. They are soft baked donuts topped with a creamy chocolate glaze. No mixer needed! These fluffy donuts with a homemade chocolate glaze will make sure you start your day happy.
These chocolate glazed donuts are the classic donut made fresh in your own kitchen. They are simple to make, so you will want to make them all the time! They are the perfect way to make weekend mornings special for your family. Just make sure to serve them with a glass of milk.
Why This Recipe Works
- Fresh donuts- Nothing starts a day off better than fresh homemade donuts!
- Easy recipe- This chocolate donut recipe it very easy to make. It is perfect for first time donut makers. No hot oil, electric mixer, or donut cutter required!
- Rich chocolate glaze- This thick chocolate glaze is perfect for any chocolate lover. There is a reason chocolate glazed is the most common favorite donut!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Flour- Be sure to sift this to avoid flour clumps. Also don't compact it when measuring to avoid dry donuts.
- Sugar- You can use regular granulated sugar for these.
- Eggs- Pull these out 2 hours before baking to get to room temperature.
- Milk- Pull this out 2 hours before baking to get to room temperature.
- Sour Cream- Pull this out 2 hours before baking to get to room temperature.
- Unsalted butter- Melt this before you need it so it can cool.
- Chocolate chips- I used semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can use dark chocolate chips. I don't recommend milk chocolate chips because they will be too sweet.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these chocolate glazed donuts.
STEP 1: Prep. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Then, lightly spray 2 donuts pans with baking spray. Set them aside.
STEP 2: Dry ingredients. Mix the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and sugar together in a medium bowl. Set it aside.
STEP 3: Combine. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, milk, sour cream, melted butter, and vanilla extract together. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and whisk them until just combined.
STEP 4: Pipe batter. Pour the donut batter into a piping bag. Then, pipe the batter into the greased donut pans until half full. Do not overfill the tray!
STEP 5: Bake donuts. Bake for 9-11 minutes. They are done when a toothpick inserted into the center of the donuts comes out clean.
STEP 6: Cool. Let the donuts cool in the hot pan for 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
STEP 7: Make glaze. Add the chocolate chips, butter, and milk to a glass heat-safe bowl or measuring cup. Heat it in the microwave for 20 second intervals until it is melted, stirring after each interval.
STEP 8: Glaze donuts. Pour the glaze into a shallow bowl and dip the top of each donut into the donut glaze. Place each glazed donut on a wire rack to set. If you are adding sprinkles add them on top while the glaze is still wet.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour. Compacted flour can cause the donuts to be dry.
- Make sure to thoroughly spray the donut pans with baking nonstick spray first. Cooking spray does not have flour like baking spray, so use a baking one!
- When you are piping the donut batter into the pan, it can be still a little uneven. To prevent this, use your finger to smooth out the batter.
- Place a baking sheet under the wire rack to catch any glaze that drips off.
You can make these into muffins. Use a muffin pan with muffin liners. Bake for the same amount of time. Dip the muffins into the glaze.
Yes you can. Freeze the cooled donuts and wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour before glazing.
I have not recipe tested this. If you make these with no eggs, let me know.
Storing and Freezing
Store these chocolate glazed donuts in an airtight container in the fridge up to 5 days.
These donuts taste best fresh. The donuts can have the glaze melt a little in an airtight container.
Once you have cooled the chocolate glazed donuts you can freeze them before decorating them. Thaw them for 1 hour before glazing them.
Other Breakfast Recipes To Try
Chocolate Glazed Donuts
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- ⅔ cup White granulated sugar
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup Milk room temperature
- ½ cup Sour cream room temperature or greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoon Unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- ⅓ cup Milk
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Spray two donut pans lightly with baking nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pinch of nutmeg, and sugar. Set aside.2 cups All-purpose flour, 2 teaspoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Salt, Pinch of nutmeg, ⅔ cup White granulated sugar
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, milk, sour cream, melted butter, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk until just combined.2 Large eggs, ½ cup Milk, ½ cup Sour cream, 4 tablespoon Unsalted butter, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Pour the donut batter into a piping bag. Pipe the donut batter into the donut pan halfway. Make sure to not overfill!
- Bake for 9-11 minutes. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the donuts sit in the hot pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- In a glass measuring cup ( or a bowl), add the chocolate chips, butter, and milk. Heat in 20 second intervals until melted. Make sure to mix well between heating.1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 tablespoon Butter, ⅓ cup Milk
- Pour the glaze into a bowl. Dip the top of the donut in the glaze. Place on a wire rack. If adding sprinkles, make sure to add on top when the glaze is wet.