These easy strawberry shortcake trifles are made with a moist buttery lemon cake. They are topped with whipped cream cheese and fresh strawberries dusted with sugar. Nothing says summer like these strawberry shortcake trifles!
The BEST Easy Strawberry Shortcake Trifles
What makes these easy strawberry shortcake trifles the best? The moist lemon cake and whipped cream cheese. Oh, and the fresh strawberries. Basically this is the ultimate light summer dessert!
This summer dessert can be made in 4 parts.
- Part 1- Make the lemon cake. This cake is super moist and has the zest of an entire lemon
- Part 2- Prepare the strawberries. This part is super easy, but very important. Make sure the strawberries are rinsed and cut into small cubes.
- Part 3- Make whipped cream cheese. This is the yummiest part of this whole recipe. It combines whipped cream and cream cheese frosting. It is DELICIOUS
- Part 4- Assemble the trifles. Easily assemble these trifles in less than 15 minutes.
This blog receives a commission for using Amazon products for the food recipes that I shared with you in my posts. Although I receive a commission for using and linking their products, they are extremely good for my food recipes and all my opinions and suggestions are unbiased.
How To Make The Lemon Cake
This cake is made in a 9X9 baking pan. I like this pan because it has high sides. That is great for this cake because it rises a lot in the oven.
First, sift all of the dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. Then, use a mixer to cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Zest a small lemon and add it to the butter mixture. Add the vanilla and mix until smooth. Then, add the eggs one at time.
Next, alternate between adding the dry ingredients and sour cream until it is all combined.
Now bake! Bake it for 13-18 minutes until lightly golden brown. Let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack.
Can This Cake Be Gluten Free?
Yes! This cake can be gluten free. Use a 1:1 gluten free flour. If you are at high altitude, still add 1 TBSP of gluten free flour.
How To Make Whipped Cream Cheese
To make this whipped cream cheese you will need a mixer. Either a stand mixer or a hand mixer.
The most important key to this is making sure the cream cheese is room temperature. Room temperature cream cheese is much easier to cream into a soft texture.
Beat the cream cheese until smooth and fluffy, about 1 minute on medium. Then, add the vanilla and sifted powdered sugar. Make sure your powdered sugar is sifted otherwise it can become grainy.
Next, switch to a whisk attachment if using a stand mixer. Then, add the heavy cream and beat on high until stiff peaks form. It should be light and fluffy, but also stiff enough to pipe with.
Making The Whipped Cream Cheese Ahead Of Time
I recommend using the whipped cream cheese right away. In fact, this entire recipe can be made in 1 afternoon. However, if you wanted to make the whipped cream cheese ahead of time, cover it and store in the fridge.
About 1 hour before you use it, pull it out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature. It shouldn’t be too cold. Then, whip it again for 1 minute on high until fluffy again.
Assembling The Easy Strawberry Shortcake Trifles.
I used these cute tulip jars for these trifles. It makes the perfect size for a dessert, and the jars are fun. You can use any jars you would like, but I liked this size.
Before you start assembling, place the cake in the freezer for 10 minutes. This will help cake crumble less when assembling.
The best way to cut up the cake is to use a biscuit cutter. These are amazing for getting the most perfect circle. Make sure the cake fits tightly in your jar.
If you are using the exact jars I am using, the cake is going to be very thick. I actually split the cake in half to get more even layers.
Start by placing the first layer of cake on the bottom of the jar; use your fingers to squish it down. Then, apply a light layer of the prepared strawberries.
Next, pipe the whipped cream on top of the strawberries. (I used the wilton 1M tip.) Then, add the next layer of cake, strawberries, and top with whipped cream cheese.
Storing Easy Strawberry Shortcake Trifles
To store these trifles, cover the jars in cling wrap and keep them in the fridge. This only makes 4, so you will probably eat it up right away!
It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. After that, the strawberries will get too soggy.
Other Recipes To Try
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bars
- Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars
- Angel Food Cupcakes
- S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Trifle
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 TBSP Cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 6 TBSP Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup White granulated sugar
- 1 Zest of a small lemon
- 3/4 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup Sour cream room temperature
- 1 lb Strawberries rinsed, dried, and cut into small cubes.
- 2 TBSP White granulated sugar
Whipped Cream Cheese
- 4 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Powdered sugar sifted
- 1 cup Heavy cream cold
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 9X9 pan with non stick baking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, salt. Set aside.
- Use a mixer and cream together the butter and sugar on medium. Mix for 1 minute until the butter is light and fluffy. Zest 1 small lemon and add it to the bowl. Add vanilla and mix for 30 seconds until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time on low. Mix until combined. Scrape the bowl.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and 1/2 of the sour cream and mix until combined. Add the next 1/3 of the dry ingredients and the rest of the sour cream. Then, add the rest of the dry ingredients. Scrape the bowl and mix for 10-15 seconds.
- Pour the cake batter into the baking pan. Bake for 13-18 minutes. The cake is finished baking when the edges are slightly golden brown and when a toothpick is inserted, it comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow the cake to cool completely. Before assembling the cake, place in the freezer for 10 minutes
- Cut 1 lb of rinsed and dried strawberries into small cubes. Place strawberries in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle sugar on top of strawberries and stir. Let it sit for 5 minutes before using.
Whipped Cream Cheese
- Using a mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the room temperature cream cheese for 1 minute until smooth. Add the sifted powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until combined. Scrape the bowl
- Switch to a whisk attachment, and add in the heavy cream. Beat on high until stiff peaks form. Use immediately.
- Use a biscuit cutter or a knife to cut out circles of cake that will fit the jar you are using. Place cake on the bottom of the jar, it should fit tightly.
- Add a light layer of strawberries on top of the cake. It should completely cover the cake. Use a piping bag, to evenly pipe the whipped cream cheese on top of the strawberries
- Add another layer of cake, followed by strawberries and whipped cream cheese. Store the jars covered and in the fridge.