These vanilla Nutella Cupcakes are super moist and have Nutella swirled inside. The cupcakes are topped with a chocolate Nutella frosting with extra melty Nutella on top. These cupcakes are very easy to make and taste like Nutella heaven. Even if you didn't like Nutella, you will love these cupcakes!
When I was trying to make these vanilla Nutella cupcakes, I wanted to make something unique! So, I swirled Nutella both in the middle and top of these cupcakes.
Then, there is Nutella in the frosting and top. Every part of this cupcake has Nutella and has a great chocolate flavor!
If you are looking for more Nutella recipes, try Nutella stuffed cookies, Nutella peanut butter cake, and Nutella cheesecake.
Why You Will Love This
- Vanilla cupcakes- The vanilla cupcakes are so incredibly soft and buttery!
- Easy to make- These cupcakes look impressive, but they are very simple to make.
- Nutella swirled- There is Nutella swirled in the cupcake.
- Chocolate Nutella frosting- The frosting has a little bit cocoa powder and Nutella.
- Topped with even more Nutella for those Nutella lovers!- On top of the cupcakes is melty Nutella!
- Pull out dairy ingredients 2 hours before baking.
- Unsalted Butter- Use unsalted butter and make sure it is softened before using.
- Slightly cold butter- Pull the butter out for 30 minutes. We want cold butter, so the frosting is firm. If it is too cold it won't beat into a fluffy frosting.
- Sour cream- Use full fat sour cream.
- Buttermilk- Use full fat or reduced fat buttermilk.
- Nutella- I used a whole jar of Nutella for these cupcakes.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure it is sifted to avoid a gritty frosting.
- Cocoa powder- This is the cocoa powder I used.
Can I use homemade Nutella?
I have not recipe tested this, but it should work. As long as it is thick enough like regular Nutella it should work.
You will need to use less in the frosting because if it is too thin, the frosting will be runny.
Sour cream- You can use greek yogurt if you don't have sour cream. I do recommend the full fat.
Buttermilk- If you don't have buttermilk, you can use ½ cup whole milk with a half Tablespoon of lemon juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes before using.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these vanilla cupcakes. This recipe uses a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer. You also need a 12-cup cupcake tin with cupcake liners and a rubber spatula.
STEP 1: Mix dry ingredients together. Sift the all-purpose flour. Then, add in the rest of the dry ingredients.
STEP 2: Beat butter and sugar. Beat these on high speed until fluffy in a large bowl. Next, add in sour cream, vanilla extract, and eggs. Mix for another 2 minutes on medium speed.
STEP 3: Alternate flour mixture and buttermilk. Alternate these two and mix them in on low speed.
STEP 4: Scoop the batter. Use 1 Tablespoon or a cookie scoop to scoop the batter into the cupcake pan. Spoon ½ teaspoon of Nutella and swirl with a butter knife.
STEP 5: Scoop the batter again. Fill the muffin pan about ⅔rds full of batter. Spoon another ½ teaspoon of Nutella and swirl.
STEP 6: Bake the cupcakes. Bake the cupcakes for 18-22 minutes. Cool completely on a cooling rack.
STEP 7: Nutella frosting. Beat the slightly cold butter and Nutella. Add in powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Mix salt, vanilla, and heavy cream.
STEP 8: Beat the frosting. The creamy Nutella frosting needs to be beaten on high to get it nice and fluffy.
The wet ingredients in the cupcakes needs to be beaten on high for a total of 5 minutes for best results. Set a timer!
Heat the Nutella in the microwave for 20 seconds before swirling into the batter. I used a toothpick to swirl it in. You could also use a butter knife.
The frosting needs to be beaten on high for both the butter and again when everything is mixed in. To get a fluffy frosting like mine, you need to beat it for several minutes.
Decorating Cupcakes Ideas
For these cupcakes, I used a Wilton 1M tip and a piping bag. When I piped them, I made sure there was a small center for the extra Nutella.
Then, heat the Nutella for 30 seconds in the microwave. Pipe the extra Nutella in that hole. This part is optional.
You can also top the cupcakes with a drizzle of Nutella, Ferrero Rocher truffles, or chocolate sprinkles.
Yes it can! Double the recipe to make three 8 inch layer cakes. Double the frosting as well.
Yes. It will work with a 8X8 dish. It can fit in a 9X9, but the cake will be thinner. If you want a 9X13, double the recipe.
I have not recipe tested this, but Bob's Red Mill 1:1 gluten free flour blend would work.
Storing and Freezing
Store these vanilla Nutella cupcakes in the fridge. Store in an airtight container up to 5 days. Let the cupcakes come to room temperature before eating.
The decorated cupcakes can be frozen in an airtight container. Freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1 hour before eating.
The baked cupcakes can be frozen as well. Freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour before decorating.
Other Cupcake Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Make sure to tag me on Instagram @stephaniesweettreats. I hope you loved it! To get more ideas follow me on Pinterest.
Easy Vanilla Nutella Cupcakes
Vanilla Nutella Cupcakes
- ¾ cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- ¼ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- ½ cup Nutella slightly melted.
Nutella Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup Unsalted butter slightly cold
- ¼ cup Nutella
- 2 ¾ cup Powdered sugar sifted
- ¼ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Heavy cream
- ¼ cup Nutella topping the cupcakes
Vanilla Nutella Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour. Add in salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.1 ¾ cup All-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- Using a mixer, beat the butter and sugar. Beat on high for 3 minutes. It will be pale and fluffy. Add in sour cream, vanilla, and eggs. Beat on high for 2 minutes. It will appear lumpy, but that is normal.¾ cup Unsalted butter, ¾ cup White granulated sugar, 2 Large eggs, ¼ cup Sour cream, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Add in ⅓rd of the dry ingredients and half of the buttermilk. Add in another ⅓rd of the dry ingredients and the rest of the buttermilk. Finish with the rest of the dry ingredients. Scrape the bowl.½ cup Buttermilk
- Heat Nutella in a microwave safe bowl for 20 seconds. Stir.½ cup Nutella
- Use 1 Tablespoon or a cookie scoop to scoop the batter. Spoon a ½ teaspoon of Nutella on to each cupcake. Use a toothpick to swirl the Nutella. Fill the muffin tin ⅔rds full of cupcake batter. Add another ½ teaspoon of Nutella and swirl the top.
- Bake the cupcakes for 18-22 minutes. The cupcakes are done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let them cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack. Cool completely before decorating.
Chocolate Nutella Frosting
- Set the butter on the counter for 30 minutes for it to be slightly cool. Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together while you wait.1 cup Unsalted butter, 2 ¾ cup Powdered sugar, ¼ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Using a mixer, beat the butter for 2 minutes on high. Add in the Nutella and beat until it is mixed together. Scrape the bowl.¼ cup Nutella
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar/cocoa powder. Mix until thick and smooth. Add in vanilla, salt, and heavy cream. Mix on low until combined. Switch to high and beat for 1-3 minutes.½ teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ¼ cup Heavy cream
- Heat the Nutella in the microwave for 30 seconds, so it is melted.¼ cup Nutella
- Pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes. Add the melted Nutella on top.
My favorite part is the Nutella frosting . It is incredible!