These Halloween brownies are perfect for spooky season! They are fudgy brownie layers and topped with orange colored cheesecake. It is also swirled with extra brownie on top. These are a perfect orange and black fun halloween treats!
These Halloween brownies are pretty easy to make and makes such a fun festive treat! My favorite part about these brownies is they are actually marbled cheesecake brownies, but dyed orange! This would be the perfect brownies to make for a Halloween party or for kids.
For more Halloween recipes, try Halloween Pumpkin Ghost Cupcakes, Halloween Candy Chocolate Cake, and Mummy Cookies.
Why This Recipe Works
- Fudgy brownies- The homemade brownie recipe is based on my Better Than Boxed Brownies, but with no chocolate chips. They are super fudgy and incredible.
- Cheesecake layer- The cheesecake layer is creamy and pretty simple with the ingredients. They are just dyed orange!
- Swirled brownies- The top of the brownies has a swirl of brownies. This created using a ¼ cup of brownie batter and very hot water mixed together.
- Kid approved- When I made these for my 4 year old, he absolutely loved it!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before using so it is room temperature.
- Unsalted butter- The butter is melted and cooled before adding to the brownie batter.
- Oil- Use canola oil, vegetable oil, or olive oil.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- For best results, use dutch-processed cocoa powder. This is the one I used.
- Cornstarch- This helps to make the brownies more fudgy. If you don't have it, then you can skip it.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream cheese. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Orange food coloring- Use a gel food dye. I love Americolor.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these Halloween swirl cream cheese brownies. You will need a stand mixer with both a whisk attachment and a paddle attachment or use a hand mixer. You will need a 8X8-inch square baking pan.
STEP 1: Mix the sugar and the eggs. First, beat the sugar and eggs on high speed in a large bowl for 5 minutes.
Next, mix in the melted butter, oil, and vanilla extract and mix in low speed.
STEP 2: Add the dry ingredients. Add in the all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt. Make sure to mix on low speed until just combined.
Save ¼ cup of brownie batter into a bowl.
STEP 3: Beat the cream cheese and sugar. Next, in a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar on high speed for 1 minute.
Then, add in the orange food dye and vanilla and mix on medium speed. Add enough food dye to get to the desired orange color.
STEP 4: Add the egg. Add the eggs and mix on low speed. Make sure to add as little air as possible to prevent cracks while baking.
STEP 5: Spread the batter. Spread the brownie batter over the prepared pan. Top with the cheesecake batter.
Heat the water on the stovetop until steaming, then pour on top of the ¼ cup of brownie batter. Use a whisk to stir until smooth. It will be like liquid.
STEP 6: Swirl the batter. Pour the brownie batter on top of the cheesecake filling. Use a butter knife to very gently swirl it together.
STEP 7: Bake. Bake for 40-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out with soft crumbs. If it is gooey, bake for another 5 minutes.
STEP 8: Chill. First, cool completely on a cooling rack. Then, cover in plastic wrap and chill overnight or for at least 2 hours before cutting and enjoying.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick a measuring cup into the flour, this will compact the flour. Which will dry out the brownies and turn them cakey.
- The sugar and eggs with the brownie batter, needs to be beaten on high for 5 minutes.
- When the flour mixture is almost all the way mixed into the brownie batter, use a rubber spatula to fold the rest of the way. Over mixing the batter will cause the air bubbles to pop and it loose the crackle top and the rise.
- When preparing the pan, make sure to place parchment paper on the bottom and 2 sides of the pan. This will let you be able to remove them easily from the pan after they chill.
Yes you can. Use a cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Bake for 20 minutes.
For thinner bars, use a 9X9-inch square pan.
You don't need a water bath for this recipe!
Storing and Freezing
Store these Halloween brownies in the fridge in an airtight container. Chill up to 5 days.
The bars can be frozen, store in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating. They thaw easily if you freeze them in slices.
Other Brownie Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW if you loved this recipe! Make sure to tag me on Instagram @stephaniesweettreats. To get more ideas follow me on Pinterest.
- 1 cup White granulated sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 4 tablespoon Unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup Oil canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup All-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup Unsweetened cocoa power dutch-process is best
- ½ tablespoon Cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ tablespoon Hot water
- 8 oz Cream Cheese room temperature
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 Large egg room temperature
- Orange food dye
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Spray an 8X8-inch baking pan with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper. Spray again.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside.⅔ cup All-purpose flour, ⅔ cup Unsweetened cocoa power, ½ tablespoon Cornstarch, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Using a mixer with a whisk attachment. Beat the sugar and eggs on high speed for 5 minutes. It will become light and pale in color. While it is mixing, melt the butter.1 cup White granulated sugar, 2 Large eggs
- Add the melted butter, oil, and vanilla and mix on low until combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until combined.4 tablespoon Unsalted butter, ¼ cup Oil, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Take off the mix and mix using a rubber spatula. Save ¼ cup of brownie batter to the side. Spread the brownie batter in the pan.
- In a medium bowl using a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract on high speed for 1 minute. Add the orange food dye and mix until desired color. Then, add in the egg and mix on low speed.8 oz Cream Cheese, ¼ cup White granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, Orange food dye, 1 Large egg
- Spread the cheesecake batter on top of the brownie batter. Heat the water on the stove until steaming. Pour the water into the leftover brownie batter and whisk until combined.1 ½ tablespoon Hot water
- Pour the brownie batter on top of the cheesecake batter and use a butter knife to swirl the brownie into the cheesecake. Be very gentle when swirling.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes. Stick a toothpick in the center, if a lot of batter comes out, bake for another 5 minutes.
- Cool on a cooling rack completely. Wrap in foil and chill overnight or at least 2-3 hours. Then, cut the brownies into squares.
Leave a Reply