This layered blueberry chocolate cake is a three layer moist chocolate cake with blueberry lemon frosting! The cake layers are incredibly moist and can be made in one bowl. The frosting is made using a blueberry puree and fresh lemon zest. The cake is topped with fresh blueberries and blackberries.
This layered blueberry chocolate cake is very simple to make. It combines fresh flavors in the frosting, both lemon and blueberry. It pairs nicely with the chocolate.
Why You Will Love This
- Moist chocolate cake- These cake layers are incredibly moist because they are made with hot water. Hot water helps to make the chocolate flavor bloom.
- Easy to make- This cake is easy to make because it can be made in one bowl.
- Lemon blueberry frosting- The frosting has blueberry puree and lemon zest. The color is all natural.
- Chocolate drip- A drip on a cake is so classic, the extra chocolate combined with the fresh flavors is a must.
- Dutch process cocoa powder- This is the one I used.
- Baking powder + baking soda- These gives the cake the rise. Make sure they aren't expired.
- Oil- You can use canola or vegetable.
- Lifeway Kefir Plain Whole Milk- This is used as a replacement for buttermilk. See more info below.
- Eggs- Pull these out 2 hours before baking.
- Hot water- Make sure it is steaming before adding to the cake.
- Blueberries- They can be fresh or frozen.
- Lemon juice- Fresh is best, you can use concentrated lemon juice.
- Lemon zest- Make sure you add this! It makes the difference in the frosting.
What Is Lifeway Kefir?
I am a huge fan of Lifeway Kefir. Their milk is actually tangy and full of 12 active live cultures.
It is basically a combination of buttermilk and yogurt. Which makes it perfect for baking! It will create a more softer crumb.
Also, using their whole milk, the extra fat also helps to break down the gluten strands and create a more softer crumb as well.
- Cocoa powder- Use can also use dark cocoa powder or natural. The chocolate flavor and color won't be the same.
- Oil- You can also use olive oil.
- Hot water- You can also use hot coffee too.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake this chocolate cake and frosting.
STEP 1: Mix dry ingredients together. Make sure to sift the flour and cocoa powder to avoid any flour lumps.
STEP 2: Mix wet ingredients together. When you add in the hot water, go very slowly to avoid over heating the eggs. Next, mix the wet ingredients into the dry.
STEP 3: Bake the cakes. Pour the cake batter into the three 8 inch cake pans. Then, bake for 28-34 minutes.
STEP 4: Make the blueberry puree. First, heat the blueberries and lemon juice. Mash the blueberries as they heat. Blend in a blender until smooth.
STEP 5: Lemon blueberry frosting. Next, beat the butter on high. Add in the powdered sugar and lemon zest. It will be very thick.
STEP 6: Mix in the wet ingredients. Then, add in salt, vanilla, blueberry puree, and heavy cream. Beat the frosting for 1-2 minutes until fluffy.
Expert Baking Tips
This cake doesn't need a mixer to make it! However, make to not to overmix the batter. Mix until just until the lumps are gone.
The blueberry puree can be made ahead of time. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
There will be little texture in the frosting. I personally like that texture, it is also not the noticeable if you puree the blueberries.
You can push the puree through a mesh strainer if you want a smooth frosting.
Assembling The Cake
Here are all my tips on assembling this cake.
First, the cakes need to be slightly cold before decorating. This will help prevent the cake crumbs from getting in the frosting too much.
Place the first layer of cake down and spread 1 cup of frosting. Then, use an offset spatula to spread it until even. Repeat this with the second layer.
Place some frosting in a piping bag. Then, pipe frosting on the edges to seal the gap. This helps me a lot!
I use this cake scrapper. I love metal instead of plastic.
Decorating The Cake
I decorated this cake in a semi-naked look. You can also fully frost the cake if you want as well. I personally liked the peeps of chocolate cake through the frosting.
After the frosting, make sure to freeze the cake before applying the drip. A cold cake will prevent the chocolate from falling everywhere.
Pour the chocolate on top of the cake and push the chocolate over the edges. You can also use a squeezy bottle.
Next, freeze the cake again before adding the extra berries on top.
Yes it can. Half the cake recipe to make 12 cupcakes. Bake for 18-22 minutes.
Yes. Wrap the cooled cake in cling wrap. Freeze for 1 week. Thaw for 1 hour before decorating.
The drip is optional.
Storing and Freezing
Store this layered blueberry chocolate cake in an airtight container. Store in the fridge for 5 days. The cake is best at room temperature.
This layered blueberry chocolate cake can be frozen in an individual cake slices. Wrap each slice in cling wrap. Freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1 hour before enjoying.
Other Cake Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Layered Blueberry Chocolate Cake
- 2 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¾ cup Oil canola or vegetable
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 4 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup Lifeway Kefir Plain Whole Milk
- 1 cup Hot water
- 1 cup Blueberries fresh or frozen (if frozen keep frozen)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
Lemon Blueberry Frosting
- 2 ½ cups Unsalted butter slightly cold
- 7 ½ cups Powdered sugar
- Zest of one lemon
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Blueberry puree
- 2 tablespoon Heavy cream
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup Heavy cream
- Fresh blueberries and blackberries for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray three 8 inch cake pan with baking spray. Line the bottoms with parchment circles. Spray again.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour and cocoa powder. Mix in sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.2 ½ cups All-purpose flour, 1 ¾ cup White granulated sugar, 1 cup Dutch process cocoa powder, 2 ½ teaspoon Baking powder, 1 ½ teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Salt
- In a separate bowl, mix the oil, vanilla, eggs, and Kefir milk . Heat the water on the stove until steaming. Very slowly add in the hot water into the wet ingredients.¾ cup Oil, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 4 Large eggs, 1 cup Lifeway Kefir Plain Whole Milk, 1 cup Hot water
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix until combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the three cake pans evenly. Bake for 28-34 minutes. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cakes sit in the hot pans for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix blueberries and lemon juice. Heat until the blueberries soften. Use the back of a spoon (or a potato masher) to mash the berries. Cook for 5 minutes. It should be a dark purple.1 cup Blueberries, 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- Pour into a food processor or blender. Blend until completely smooth. (there will be little bits and that is okay). Cool completely.
Lemon Blueberry Frosting
- Set the butter on the counter for 30 minutes to get slightly cold. While you wait, sift the powdered sugar. Zest the lemon and add in the powdered sugar.2 ½ cups Unsalted butter, 7 ½ cups Powdered sugar, Zest of one lemon
- Using a mixer, beat the butter on high for 3 minutes. Then, slowly add in the powdered sugar on low. Beat on medium until smooth. It will be thick.
- Add in salt, vanilla, blueberry puree, and heavy cream. Mix on low until combined. Switch to high and beat for 1-2 minutes until fluffy.½ teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ¼ cup Blueberry puree, 2 tablespoon Heavy cream
- Start this only when ready. Place chocolate chips in a bowl. Heat heavy cream on a saucepan on medium-low heat until steaming. Pour hot cream over chocolate chips. Let it sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds.1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips, ¾ cup Heavy cream
- Stir chocolate until smooth. If any chocolate bits remain, heat in the microwave for 10 second intervals until melted. Make sure it is room temperature before adding to the cake.
- If there are domes on top of the cake, use a serrated knife to create an even cake. Place cakes in the freezer for 10 minutes to be slightly cold before decorating.
- Place a small amount of frosting on the board you are decorating on. This will keep the cake in place.
- Place the first layer of cake down. Place 1 cup of frosting on the cake layer and smooth until even. Repeat with the second layer. Place the last layer down.
- For semi-naked look, frost the cake. use a cake scraper to smooth the cake. Have little bits of the cake poking out. Frost the top of the cake.
- For a fully frosted cake, apply a light layer of frosting over the cake. Freeze for 10 minute to lock the crumbs in. Frost the rest of the cake.
- Freeze the cake for 10 minutes. Make the chocolate drip. Pour half the chocolate on the cake. Use an offset spatula to push the chocolate down the cake. Top the cake with the rest of the chocolate.
- Freeze the cake for 10 minutes before adding the berries on top. If you place the berries on top of the cake with wet chocolate, they will slip off.Fresh blueberries and blackberries