These mini M&M cookies are an easy to make cookie recipe. It has both mini M&M's and mini chocolate chips in the cookie dough. The cookies are made with no mixer, and they are thick and chewy cookies.
These cookies are like M&M heaven. They are full of so many mini M&M's! These mini M&M cookies are really easy to make because you don't need a mixer.
They are made with melted butter, so the dough can be made by hand. It takes 10 minutes to put together. They do require a chill time, but they end up being a very thick and chewy cookie.
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy to make- This recipe is very easy to make because it uses melted butter.
- The best texture- The texture of these cookies is super chewy with crisp edges with soft centers.
- Mini M&M's- I think we can all agree that mini M&M's are the best kind! These cookies are loaded with them!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- The butter is melted, but it needs to be room temperature before using. If it even a little too warm, the cookies will spread too much.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar for this recipe. Dark brown sugar, will make the cookies look too dark.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Mini M&M's- I bought the big pack of minis at my local grocery store. You will need at least one bag.
- Mini chocolate chips- To go with the mini theme, use mini chocolate chips. You can use regular semisweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. The milk chocolate chips will be way too sweet.
- All-purpose flour- There is extra flour in this recipe to combat the extra sugar from the M&M's. The sugar made it spread more, so I added the extra flour.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these soft cookies.
STEP 1: Melt the butter. Melt the butter and let it sit for 15 minutes. After checking the butter, if it isn't room temperature, place in the freezer for 10 minutes and check again. It is very important that it is not warm.
STEP 2: Mix the dry ingredients. In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
STEP 3: Mix the wet ingredients. First in a large mixing bowl, mix the melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Use a whisk, you don't need a hand mixer.
Then, add in the vanilla extract and eggs.
STEP 4: Add the flour mixture. Then, add the flour mixture and use a rubber spatula to fold it in. Pour the mini M&M's and mini chocolate chips.
STEP 5: Scoop the dough. Use a large cookie scoop to scoop the dough. Scoop 6 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
STEP 6: Chill the dough. Place the first batch the will go in the oven, in the freezer for at least 10 minutes while the oven preheats. The cookie dough balls need to be cold before going in the oven.
The rest of the cookie dough balls you can place in the fridge.
STEP 7: Bake the cookies. Bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes.
TIP! Around 12 minutes, take them out of the oven and use a large cookie cutter (circle) to scoot the cookies to a circle. You can also use a fork to press the edges of the cookies.
STEP 8: Cool. Let the cookies sit on the hot pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour. Compacted flour can cause the cookies to not spread.
- If the cookies are spreading, make sure you are using parchment paper on the cookie sheet, the cookie dough balls need to be cold before going in the oven, and the butter needs to be room temperature and not warm.
- When the cookies are still warm, top with extra mini M&M's and mini chocolate chips. on the top of the cookie.
Yes you can! I like the minis because you can get more per cookie. However, you can use regular M&M's.
Yes you can! Use a small cookie scoop to scoop 12 cookies per cookie sheet. Bake for 8-11 minutes.
You don't need it. The melted butter means you just needs a whisk. If you use a mixer however, it won't hurt anything.
Storing and Freezing
Store these mini M&M cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. Store up to 5 days.
The baked chewy M&M cookies can be frozen, store in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw the cookies for 1 hour before eating.
The cookie dough balls can also be frozen, wrap the balls in plastic wrap and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour before baking.
Other Cookie Recipes To Try
Mini M&M Cookies
- 2 ¾ cups All-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter melted and cooled.
- 1 ¼ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup Mini M&M's plus more of topping the cookies
- ½ cup Mini chocolate chips plus more of topping the cookies
- First, melt the butter in the microwave until melted. Pour the hot butter into a large bowl. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes until the butter is room temperature.1 cup Unsalted butter
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour. Add in baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.2 ¾ cups All-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Baking powder, 1 teaspoon Salt
- Using the bowl with the butter, add in brown sugar and sugar. Use a rubber spatula to mix. Add in vanilla and eggs. Mix until combined.1 ¼ cup Brown sugar, ¾ cup White granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 2 Large eggs
- Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Fold the batter until it is combined. Add in the mini M&M's and mini chocolate chips and fold it in.1 ¼ cup Mini M&M's, ½ cup Mini chocolate chips
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Use a large cookie scoop (a 3oz cookie scoop) to scoop the dough. Place 6 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet.
- Place the 1st cookie sheet that will be going in the oven, into the freezer for at least 10 minutes until the dough balls are cold. Place the rest of the cookie dough balls in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake one cookie sheet at a time. Bake for 13-15 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Top the cookies while hot with extra mini M&M's and mini chocolate chips. Let the cookies sit on the hot pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.