These peanut butter Nutella cookies are easy to make and combine peanut butter and Nutella into one dream cookie. These peanut butter cookies are large and chewy cookies.
It is swirled with Nutella and topped with melty Nutella pools. These cookies are a must bake!
These peanut butter Nutella cookies are the perfect mix of peanut butter and Nutella. I based the chewy peanut butter cookies off of my peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Then, I really wanted extra Nutella flavor in this cookie. Not only does this cookie dough have Nutella swirled in, it also has drops of Nutella on top. It is perfect for chocolate lovers!
Why This Recipe Works
- Chewy, thick, and large cookies- These cookies can check off every requirement on what makes a good cookie. They are large cookies with a chewy center, they bake thick, and they have crisp edges!
- Peanut butter cookies- The peanut butter flavor is strong in this recipe!
- Nutella swirled- The Nutella gets dropped on top of the cookie dough and swirled in.
- Nutella pools- When the cookies are done baking, it gets topped with frozen drops of Nutella. It will melt as the cookie cools and result in melted pools of Nutella. They will be such a huge hit!
- Unsalted butter- Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Peanut butter- I strongly recommend baking with creamy peanut butter. I don't recommend crunchy peanut butter or natural peanut butter. The texture will not be the same.
- Eggs- Pull these out 2 hours before baking.
- Mini chocolate chips- Mini chocolate chips are the best for this recipe. It gives it little pockets of chocolate. You can use semisweet chocolate chips. Don't use milk chocolate chips.
- Nutella- Use an entire 13oz jar of Nutella. You will use a ½ cup for the dough, and the rest will be to top the cookies.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these chewy Nutella peanut butter cookies. You can use a stand mixer or an electric mixer (hand mixer).
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients together. Make sure to sift the flour to prevent all-purpose flour lumps getting into the dough in a medium bowl. Next, add in the baking soda and salt.
STEP 2: Beat the butter and sugars. These need to beat on high speed for 2 minutes in a large bowl. It will be fluffy and light in color.
STEP 3: Add in the wet ingredients. Next, add in the peanut butter, vanilla extract, and two eggs.
Beat these on high for 2 minutes. It will be super creamy!
STEP 4: Add in the dry ingredients. Mix in the flour mixture on low speed until just combined. Then, add in the chocolate chips. Use a rubber spatula to fold them in.
STEP 5: Swirl in the nutella. Use a spoon to drop the Nutella on top of the cookie dough. Then, use a knife to swirl it in.
STEP 6: Chill the dough. The dough needs to be chilled for 2 hours. While it is chilling, use a ½ teaspoon to make drops of Nutella.
Freeze a tray of drops of Nutella.
STEP 7: Bake cookies. Scoop the cookie dough using a large cookie scoop. Then, bake 6 cookie dough balls at a time on prepared cookie sheets for 13-15 minutes.
STEP 8: Top the cookies. Right when you pull the cookies out of the oven, top with the dollops of Nutella. You can use the whole drops or you can cut each drop in half.
Let the cookies cool on a wire rack.
Expert Baking Tips
- When swirling in the Nutella, use the knife to make sure the Nutella swirled into the bottom of the cookie dough.
- Chilling the cookie dough for 2 hours is crucial. This makes a very soft dough, so it needs a long chill time to prevent spreading.
- Bake the cookies on parchment paper to prevent spreading.
- Once the Nutella has melted into the baked cookie, use a knife to swirl the pool around. This will make it look more melted.
I prefer large cookies because you get a chewier center this way. However, you can bake into 1 oz cookies and bake for 8-10 minutes.
This has to do with the flour. The flour needs to be spooned and leveled. If you scoop using the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will be compacted. Compacted flour means no spread with your cookies.
This is probably because the cookie dough balls weren't cold when going into the oven. They need to be very cold. Also, baking on parchment paper also prevents spread.
Storing and Freezing
Store these peanut butter Nutella swirl cookies in an airtight container up to 5 days at room temperature.
Freeze the baked cookies in an airtight container up to 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour or heat in the microwave.
Wrap the raw cookie dough balls in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container. Freeze up to 30 days.
The frozen cookie dough balls can be baked straight from the freezer. Just add an extra few minutes of bake time.
Other Cookie Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Peanut Butter Nutella Cookies
- 2 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 cup Peanut butter creamy
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup Mini chocolate chips
- 1 13 oz jar of Nutella divided
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour. Mix in the baking soda and salt. Set aside.2 ½ cups All-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Salt
- Using a mixer in a separate bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Beat for 2 minutes on high speed. It will be fluffy and lightened in color.1 cup Unsalted butter, 1 ¼ cup Brown sugar, ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- Add in the peanut butter, vanilla, and eggs. Mix on high speed for 1 minute. It will be very creamy.1 cup Peanut butter, 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 2 Large eggs
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix in on low. Mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. It will be super soft.1 cup Mini chocolate chips
- Use ½ cup of Nutella. Use a spoon and add drops of Nutella scattered on top of the dough. Use a butter knife to swirl in the Nutella.1 13 oz jar of Nutella
- Chill for 2 hours.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper. Use a half teaspoon and scoop drops of Nutella on the cookie sheet. Do at least 24 drops of Nutella. Place in the freezer.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Use a large cookie scoop and scoop 3 oz cookie dough balls. Bake 6 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet. Bake 1 sheet at a time.
- While the oven preheat, place the 1st tray of cookies in the freezer. Place the rest of the cookie dough balls back in the fridge. The goal is to have a very cold cookie dough balls before baking. Once cold, bake for 13-15 minutes. Bake until the edges are golden brown.
- When the cookies are warm, top the cookies with the frozen drops of Nutella and extra mini chocolate chips. It will melt as the cookie cools. Let the cookie sit for 5 minutes on the hot pan. Cool completely on the cooling rack.