This chai spiced sheet cake is spiced to taste just like a warm chai latte! This cake is served as a sheet cake. It is great for crowds. It is topped with a chocolate swirl cream cheese frosting. This cake is perfect for fall and winter baking!
I wanted to make a chai cake that tasted like a chai latte, without the use of tea leaves. This moist chai spiced sheet cake came out perfect! It tasted just like the latte with the use of plenty of spices!
On top of this cake is chocolate and cream cheese frosting. Cream cheese frosting is always great with spice cakes, but chocolate goes well with a chai latte. So, I did both.
Why You Will Love This
- Chai spiced- This cake uses ALL the spices, but no tea or actual chai mix required.
- Perfect for a crowd- This cake is baked in a 9x13 pan. It serves 16!
- Chocolate swirl frosting- I love this chocolate swirl frosting. It combines chocolate and cream cheese frosting mixed with the chai spices.
- Easy to make- Since this cake only needs a cake and frosting, it is easy to make!
Here are notes about the ingredients used.
- Room temperature dairy ingredients- Pull these out 2 hours before baking.
- Ground cardamom- This spice is one that differentiates between chai spiced and regular spice cake.
- Pumpkin pie spice- This is a combination of spices, I found this at my local grocery store.
- Black pepper- Trust me, it adds to the cake!
- Sour cream- Use full fat sour cream.
- Buttermilk- This cake needs actual buttermilk. Full fat is best, but low fat will work too.
- Butter- The butter for the frosting needs to be slightly cold. This helps to get a firmer frosting.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure to sift the powdered sugar. This prevents a gritty frosting.
Step By Step Instructions
Here are the steps to make, bake, and decorate the moist chai spiced sheet cake.
STEP 1: Use a 9X13 pan. To prevent the cake from sticking use a baking spray with flour in it. Also, line the bottom and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper. Spray it again.
STEP 2: Mix the dry ingredients. This includes all of the spices.
STEP 3: Beat butter, oil, and sugar. Use a mixer, and beat on high for 2 minutes. The batter will be light and fluffy. Next, mix in sour cream and vanilla.
STEP 4: Add in eggs. Mix in the eggs one a time. Then, beat on high for 1 minute. This aerates the butter and eggs together.
STEP 5: Alternate dry ingredients and buttermilk. Alternate these until you end with dry ingredients. Scrape the bowl to make sure it is all combined.
STEP 6: Bake the cake. Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes. Cool the cake completely before decorating.
STEP 7: Make the cream cheese frosting. Beat the cream cheese and butter on high. Then, add in the powdered sugar. It will be very thick!
STEP 8: Add in vanilla, salt, and heavy cream. Mix on high until the frosting is creamy. Then, separate the frosting. Separate out ¾ths of the frosting.
STEP 9: Mix in cocoa powder. Next, mix the cocoa powder into remaining frosting.
First, use an off set spatula and spread small blobs of chocolate frosting all over the cake.
Next, do the same with the cream cheese frosting. This frosting will go on top of and in between the chocolate frosting.
Now, use the same spatula and spread the frosting. Go slow to make swirls.
This could be because you need more flour because you live at high altitude. Or your baking powder is expired.
Yes! For 12 cupcakes, halve the cake recipe and keep the frosting the same. For 24 cupcakes, keep the cake recipe and double the frosting.
Yes it can! This will make three 8 inch cake layers or three thick 6 inch cake layers. Double the frosting for a layered cake.
That is because you need to sift the powdered sugar.
I have not recipe tested this, if you make this with no eggs, let me know!
Yes! Once the cake is cooled, wrap in cling wrap and store in the freezer up to 1 week.
Storing and Freezing
Store this chai spiced sheet cake in the fridge in an airtight container. Store up to 5 days. Let the cake thaw on the counter for 30 minutes before eating.
This cake can be frozen in individual cake slices. Wrap in cling wrap and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour before enjoying.
Other Sheet Cake Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Chai Spiced Sheet Cake
Chai Sheet Cake
- 3 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon Ground cloves
- 2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon Pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon Ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- ¾ cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- ¼ cup Oil canola or vegetable
- 1 ½ cups White granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 4 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup Buttermilk room temperature
Chocolate Swirl Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¾ cup Unsalted butter slightly cold
- 4 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 3 ½ cups Powdered sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ cup Heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon Unsweetened cocoa powder
Chai Sheet Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9X13 inch pan with baking non-stick spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper and spray again. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, and black pepper. Set aside3 ½ cups All-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon Baking powder, 1 teaspoon Salt, ½ teaspoon Ground cardamom, ½ teaspoon Ground cloves, 2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon, 1 ½ teaspoon Ground ginger, ½ teaspoon Pumpkin pie spice, ¼ teaspoon Ground nutmeg, ⅛ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- Using a mixer, beat the butter, oil, and sugar together for 2 minutes on high. The butter should be light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl and add in vanilla and sour cream. Mix on medium until combined.¾ cup Unsalted butter, ¼ cup Oil, 1 ½ cups White granulated sugar, 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ¼ cup Sour cream
- Add in eggs one at a time. Then, switch to high and beat for 1 minute.4 Large eggs
- Add in ⅓ of the dry ingredients and ½ of the buttermilk and mix on low. Then, add in another ⅓ of the dry ingredients and the rest of the buttermilk mix until just combined. Next, add in the rest of the dry ingredients. Scrape the bowl and mix on low for 10 seconds.1 cup Buttermilk
- Pour the batter into the pan. Smooth the batter. Bake for 35-45 minutes. It is done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake sit in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow it to cool completely before frosting
Chocolate Swirl Cream Cheese Frosting
- Set the butter on the counter for 30 minutes to get slightly cold. While waiting for the butter, sift the powdered sugar in a large bowl.¾ cup Unsalted butter, 3 ½ cups Powdered sugar
- Using a mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter on high for 3 minutes. Scrape the bowl. Add in the powdered sugar slowly. It will be VERY thick.4 oz Cream cheese
- Once combined, add in vanilla, salt, and heavy cream. Beat on low until the heavy cream is mixed in. Then, beat on high for 2 minutes. It should be creamy.1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon Salt, ⅛ cup Heavy cream
- Separate the frosting. Take ¾ths of the frosting and place in a bowl. Keep the remaining ¼th of the frosting in the mixing bowl. Add in the cocoa powder. Beat until creamy and chocolaty.2 tablespoon Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Use an off set spatula and place small amounts of chocolate all over the cake. Repeat with all of the regular cream cheese frosting. Then, smooth the frosting using the spatula. Smooth until swirled.