This strawberry sheet cake is extra moist and made with fresh strawberries. The strawberry flavor is strong with no artificial flavoring. It is topped with a strawberry cream cheese frosting that is super silky.
How To Make Strawberry Cake Batter
This strawberry sheet cake uses a strawberry salsa and ground freeze dried strawberries to get a strong strawberry flavor.
- Strawberry salsa- Use a food processor to pulse strawberries 3 times. There will be both small pieces and medium pieces of strawberries which is perfect for this cake. This replaces the liquid ingredient in this cake.
- Mix dry ingredients- Sift all the dry ingredients. This includes the freeze dried strawberries. Ground them up in a food processor. This gives more strawberry flavor in the cake.
- Beat butter and sugar- Beat the butter and sugar for 3 straight minutes. This will aerate the butter and give a more tender cake.
- Add in sour cream and vanilla- Make sure to use full fat sour cream. The fat from the sour cream will break down the gluten and make a more moist cake.
- Eggs- Add the eggs in one at a time. There are egg whites to create a more white cake, while the whole egg gives the cake more moisture.
- Mix everything together- Add the dry ingredients and strawberry salsa. Make sure to scrape the bowl.
Pour the batter into a 9X13 inch pan. To easily remove the cake from the pan, spray with a baking non-stick spray!
Where To Find Freeze Dried Strawberries
I got a bag of freeze dried strawberries at Target. I do know they are available on Amazon or Whole Foods.
Freezing The Cake
You can make this cake ahead of time. Wrap the cake tightly with cling wrap. Then, store in the fridge. I usually only wait 1-3 days before thawing again. Too much time in the freezer will dry it out.
Before decorating, pull the cake 1 ½ hours so it can thaw.
Tips To Make Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Room temperature cream cheese- Pull the cream cheese out 2 hours before you use it. You want soft cream cheese.
- Slightly cold butter- Let the butter sit on the counter for 30 minutes. This will make it cold enough to get a firm frosting, but not super cold.
- Sift the powdered sugar- To avoid a gritty frosting, use a sifter to get out any lumps.
- Beat butter and cream cheese- Beat these 2 things until they are soft and fluffy. Then, slowly add in powdered sugar. I always make a mess during this part!
- Strawberry salsa and strawberry jam- The strawberry salsa plus the jam gives it a fresh strawberry flavor. No artificial flavors here!
- Chill- Chill the frosting for 15 minutes before using. This will firm the frosting up slightly.
Making The Frosting Ahead Of Time
You can make the frosting ahead of time. Store the frosting in the fridge. Then, let it sit out for 2 hours. Whip it for 20 seconds before using.
How To Store The Cake
This strawberry sheet cake should be stored in the fridge in an air tight container.
It will last up to 5 days in the fridge.
Other Cake Recipes To Try
- Strawberry filled cupcakes
- Chocolate fudge cupcakes
- Raspberry white chocolate cake
- Red velvet bundt cake
Strawberry Sheet Cake
- 3 ¼ cups All-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Grounded freeze dried strawberries
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- ½ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 3 Egg whites room temperature
- 3 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 ⅓ cups Strawberry salsa see notes
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- ¾ cup Unsalted butter slightly cold
- 4 ½ cups Powdered sugar sifted
- ¼ cup Strawberry salsa see notes
- 1 TBSP Strawberry jam
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- Strawberries for decoration
- Preheat oven to 325°F Spray a 9X13 inch pan with baking non-stick spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper. Spray again.
- Use a food processor to grind freeze dried strawberries. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground freeze dried strawberries. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat butter and sugar together on medium-high for 3 minutes. It should be light and fluffy. Add in sour cream and vanilla. Mix until combined. Scrape the bowl. Add egg whites and eggs one at time. Mix on low. Scrape the bowl halfway through adding all the eggs.
- Add ⅓ of the dry ingredients and half of the strawberry salsa and mix on low. Add the next ⅓ of the dry ingredients and the rest of the strawberry salsa. Mix. Then, add the rest of the dry ingredients. Scrape the bowl and mix again for 10 seconds.
- Pour batter into the pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let it sit in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Let it cool completely before decorating.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Let the butter sit on the counter for 30 minutes for it to get slightly cold. Sift the powdered sugar while you wait.
- Using a mixer, beat cream cheese on medium-high for 1 minute. Add in the butter and beat again for 1-2 minutes. Beat until no butter chunks remain. Scrape the bowl.
- Add in the powdered sugar on low very slowly. Mix until combined. Scrape the bowl. Add in strawberry salsa, strawberry jam, and vanilla. Mix on medium-low until combined. Scrape the bowl and mix again for 10-20 seconds.
- Chill the frosting in the fridge for 15 minutes before decorating. Then, decorate cake. Keep cake in the fridge until serving.