These Oreo muffins are chocolate gooey muffins full of chocolate chips and Oreo pieces. These super soft and easy to make muffins are super chocolaty and topped with extra Oreos! The muffins are definitely kid approved!
These Oreo muffins are incredible! My favorite part is just how soft these chocolate muffins are!
Then, they are filled with chocolate chips and Oreo pieces. Chocolate on chocolate on chocolate! You will definitely love these muffins if you are a chocolate lover.
Why This Recipe Works
- Chocolate muffins- These muffins are filled with chocolate chips and cocoa powder.
- Oreos- They are filled and topped with Oreos.
- Easy to make- This is a no mixer recipe! However, they do need to rest on the counter to get a large muffin top.
- Great for breakfast- My take is if it is a muffin, that means you can totally have it for breakfast!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- For best results, use a dutch-process cocoa powder. You will get a more rich chocolate flavor. This is the one I used.
- Chocolate chips- Use semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. I don't recommend milk chocolate chips because they will be too sweet.
- Oreo cookies- You can use any Oreo you desire! I used the regular Oreos. You will need ⅔rds of one pack of Oreos.
- Oil- Use canola oil, vegetable oil, or olive oil.
- Sour cream- Use full fat sour cream or plain greek yogurt. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Buttermilk- Use full fat or reduced fat buttermilk. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking.
Step By Step Instructions
STEP 1: Blend Oreos. Using either a food processor or a ziplock bag with a rolling pin, blend the Oreos into small and medium pieces.
STEP 2: Mix dry ingredients. In a large bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, white sugar, chocolate chips and Oreo pieces.
Add the chocolate chips and Oreo pieces to the dry ingredients to prevent over mixing the batter.
STEP 3: Mix the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk, sour cream, vanilla extract, oil, and eggs.
STEP 4: Pour into flour mixture. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and use the rubber spatula to mix until combined.
STEP 5: Rest. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rise for 45 minutes. Prep the muffin tin with the paper liners. Do 6 spread out per tin.
STEP 6: Scoop. Preheat the oven to 425F. Then, use a large cookie scoop to scoop the batter into the muffin liners. It should be very full.
Optional: top with Oreo pieces and a sprinkle of sugar.
STEP 7: Bake. First, bake for 5 minutes. Then, lower the oven temperature to 375F and bake for 11-13 minutes.
Next, let the muffins cool on a cooling rack before using.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup into the flour, it will compact it. Compacted flour will dry out the muffins.
- Bake 6 muffins at a time, to get a bigger rise. A bigger rise also gives them a better texture.
- It is incredibly easy to over mix muffin batter. That is why when you add the wet ingredients, use a rubber spatula to fold it in. As soon as it is combined, stop mixing.
Make sure that the dairy ingredients are at room temperature before using. Also, the buttermilk and sour cream will help the muffins be very fluffy.
This has to do with over baking or over measuring the flour. If your oven runs hot, check the muffins early.
Yes you can!
Storing and Freezing
Store these Oreo muffins at room temperature in an airtight container. Store up to 5 days.
The muffins can be frozen. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Muffin Recipes To Try
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder for best results use dutch-process
- 1 cup White granulated sugar
- ¾ tablespoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips plus more to top the muffins
- 1 cup Oreo pieces plus more to top the muffins
- ½ cup Oil Use canola or vegetable oil
- ½ cup Sour cream room temperature or plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- ¾ cup Buttermilk room temperature
- Using a food processor (or large bag and a rolling pin) to blend the Oreos into small and medium pieces.1 cup Oreo pieces
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and cocoa powder. Add the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips, and Oreo pieces. Set aside.2 cups All-purpose flour, ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 cup White granulated sugar, ¾ tablespoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Salt, 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 cup Oreo pieces
- In a medium bowl, mix the oil, sour cream, vanilla, eggs, and buttermilk.½ cup Oil, ½ cup Sour cream, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 2 Large eggs, ¾ cup Buttermilk
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Use a rubber spatula to fold the batter. Mix until just combined. It is very important to not over mix the batter!
- Cover with plastic wrap and let the batter rest for for 40 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with 6 muffin liners.
- Use a 2 oz cookie scoop to scoop the batter. Fill the muffin liners all the way. Top the muffin liners with Oreo pieces.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 375°F. Bake for another 15-19 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the muffins sit in the hot pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.