These Oreo cheesecake brownies are a double layer fudgy brownie with Oreo cookies and cream cheesecake. There is a fudgy brownie layer topped with baked Oreo cheesecake. On top is the brownie batter swirled in.
When I was recipe testing this, I tried to swirl the cheesecake batter into the brownie batter throughly into the batter. It ended having the brownie batter sinking to the bottom anyways.
So, I made these Oreo cheesecake brownies have two distinct layers, one for the brownies and one for the cheesecake.
Also, I realized when swirling the brownie on top, it needs to be watered down to match the consistency of the cheesecake batter. Otherwise it would sink to the bottom.
They brownies are perfect for chocolate lovers! You have to try these!
Why This Recipe Works
- Fudgy brownies- This brownie recipe is extra fudgy! It is the base recipe from my Better Than Boxed Brownies. It gives these bars a fudgy brownie base
- Oreo creamy cheesecake- This cheesecake layer is baked, light and creamy. It is full of Oreo pieces and Oreo crumbs.
- Brownie swirls- There is brownie batter swirled into the cheesecake.
- Easy to make- There is no water bath required for the recipe!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Eggs- The large eggs and egg yolk needs to be pulled out 2 hours before baking.
- Unsalted butter- The butter needs to be melted and slightly cooled.
- Oil- Use canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Dutch process cocoa powder- For a more rich brownie, use dutch-process cocoa powder.
- Cornstarch- This helps make the brownies more fudgy.
- Chocolate chips- You can use semisweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. I don't recommend milk chocolate chips because it will be too sweet. You can use white chocolate chips in the brownie batter too.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream cheese. Pull this out 2 hours before baking so it is room temperature
- Oreos- Use regular Oreos, you will need 2 sleeves of Oreos. I don't recommend double stuff Oreos because there will be too much moisture.
- Hot water- The hot water will thin out the brownie batter.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these cheesecake bars. You will need a stand mixer or a hand mixer (electric mixer). If using a stand mixer you will need both a whisk attachment and a paddle attachment.
STEP 1: Beat cream cheese and sugar. First, beat the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl on high speed. Then, add in the white sugar and beat again.
STEP 2: Add in wet ingredients. Then, add in the vanilla extract and eggs one at a time. When mixing in the eggs, mix these in on low speed.
Fold the Oreo pieces and Oreo crumbs into the cheesecake mixture. Use a food processor to blend the Oreos.
STEP 3: Beat sugar and eggs. For the brownie batter, use a whisk attachment to beat the sugar, eggs, and egg yolk on high speed in a separate bowl for 5 minutes.
STEP 4: Add in wet ingredients. Next, add in melted butter, oil, and vanilla. Mix these in on low speed.
STEP 5: Add in dry ingredients. Then, add in the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the chocolate chips.
Separate out ¼ of the brownie batter. Mix in hot water until it matches the consistency of cake batter.
Assembling The Bars
First, spray a 9X9 inch square pan with baking nonstick spray.
Spread the brownie batter on the bottom of the prepared pan. Then, top the brownie batter with the cream cheese layer.
Use a ½ Tablespoon and drop dollops of brownie batter on top of cheesecake. Use a butter knife to swirl the brownie batter. This will give it a cheesecake swirl.
Then, bake the bars for 45 minutes. Let it cool completely on a wire rack or a cooling rack.
The Oreo cheesecake bars needs to be chilled for at least 6 hours before removing from the pan and cutting into.
Getting The Perfect Slice
First, the brownie bottom cheesecake bars need to be chilled completely. Wrap the baked brownies in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill at least 6 hours or overnight.
Then, use a sharp knife to the cut the bars. Clean the knife after each cut to get a clean slice.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick a measuring cup into the flour, this will compact the flour. Which will dry out the brownies and turn them cakey.
- The butter and eggs with the brownie batter, needs to be beaten on high for 5 minutes. This gives them a crackle top.
- When the flour mixture is almost all the way mixed into the brownie batter, use a rubber spatula to fold the rest of the way. Over mixing the batter will cause the air bubbles to pop and it loose the crackle top and the rise.
- When preparing the pan, make sure to place parchment paper on the bottom and 2 sides of the pan. This will let you be able to remove them easily from the pan after they chill.
Yes you can. Use a cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Bake for 20 minutes.
For thicker bars, use a 8X8 inch pan. Or you can use a 6 inch or 8 inch springform pan.
You don't need a water bath for this recipe!
Storing and Freezing
Store these Oreo cheesecake brownies in the fridge in an airtight container. Chill up to 5 days.
The bars can be frozen, store in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating. They thaw easily if you freeze them in slices.
Other Cheesecake Bar Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Oreo Cheesecake Brownies
- 16 oz Cream Cheese room temperature
- ½ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- ¼ cup Oreo crumbs 4 Oreos
- 1 cup Oreo pieces 10 Oreos
- 1 ⅓ cup White granulated sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 Egg yolk
- 5 tablespoon Unsalted butter melted
- ⅓ cup Oil canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup All-purpose flour
- ¾ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1-2 tablespoon Hot Water
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 9X9 inch pan with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper. Spray again. Use a food processor to blend 4 Oreos into a fine crumb. Set aside. Then, slightly blend 10 Oreos into large Oreo pieces.
- Using a mixer, beat the cream cheese on high speed for 1 minute. Scrape the bowl and add in the sugar. Beat on high for 1 minute. Scrape the bowl.16 oz Cream Cheese, ½ cup White granulated sugar
- Add in the vanilla. Mix on medium until combined. Mix in the eggs one at a time on low speed. Mix just until combined. Scrape the bowl.1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 2 Large eggs
- Fold in the Oreo crumbs and Oreo pieces. Set aside.¼ cup Oreo crumbs, 1 cup Oreo pieces
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift the flour and cocoa powder. Add in cornstarch and salt.⅔ cup All-purpose flour, ¾ cup Dutch process cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon Cornstarch, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Using a mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the sugar, eggs, and egg yolk. Beat on high speed for 5 minutes. Melt the butter while it mixes, so it slightly cools.1 ⅓ cup White granulated sugar, 2 Large eggs, 1 Egg yolk, 5 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- Add in oil, melted butter, and vanilla. Mix on low speed until just combined. Add in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until mostly combined.⅓ cup Oil, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Take off the mixer, and use a rubber spatula to fold the batter together until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Spread ¾ths of the batter on the bottom of the 9X9 pan. Pour the Oreo cheesecake batter on top of the brownie batter. Use a ½ Tablespoon to drop dollops of brownie batter on top of the cheesecake batter. Use a knife to slightly swirl the batter around.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes. Bake until the edges and golden, and the middle has a slight jiggle.
- Turn off the oven, prop the oven door slightly, and let it sit for 15 minutes to slightly cool. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Cover with foil and chill in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight. Take them out of the pan and cut into squares.