This peanut butter cheesecake is the ULTIMATE cheesecake recipe! The best part about this cheesecake is that it has a Nutter Butter crust! In the middle is the lightest and creamiest peanut butter cheesecake. It is topped with chocolate and extra Nutter Butters. If you are a peanut butter lover, then you need this!
When I made this peanut butter cheesecake I wanted the ultimate decadent dessert for peanut butter lovers. This is perfect for a special occasion for the person in your life who can't get enough peanut butter.
The best part about this cheesecake is that even the crust has delicious peanut butter flavor. The combination of the Nutter Butter crust, peanut butter cheesecake, and chocolate ganache is so good.
Why This Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake Recipe Works
- Nutter Butter crust- This soft crust is so flavorful and makes every bite packed with flavor
- Peanut butter cheesecake- This cheesecake is so soft, fluffy, and deserves its place as the center of this dessert
- Chocolate ganache- The chocolate ganache complements the peanut butter perfectly. It's a perfect match!
- Creamy peanut butter texture- I made this recipe to be creamy and not too thick so it makes you want to take that next bite!
Step By Step Recipe Video
Ingredient Notes for Peanut Butter Cheesecake
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Nutter Butters- These Nutter Butters will need to be ground into a fine crumb for a smoother crust.
- Unsalted butter- The butter is melted for the Nutter Butter crust. You can melt this in the microwave.
- Heavy Cream- Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Sour Cream- Use full fat sour cream or greek yogurt. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream cheese. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking so they are room temperature.
- Chocolate chips- Use semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. I don't recommend milk chocolate chips because it will be too sweet.
- Dairy free- You can use your favorite dairy free options for this recipe!
- Crust- You can have a graham cracker crust or Oreo crust instead!
- Sour cream- You can use full fat greek yogurt.
Step By Step Instructions- Crust and Cheesecake Batter
STEP 1: Make the crust. Using a food processor, blend the Nutter Butters into fine crumbs. Mix them together with the melted butter using a fork.
STEP 2: Compact the crust. Pour the mixture into your prepared pan and use your hands to press the crust halfway up the sides of the pan. Then, use the back of a measuring cup to really compact the crust down.
STEP 3: Bake the crust. Bake the crust for 10 minutes at 325°F
STEP 4: Beat the cream cheese, sugar, and peanut butter. Beat the full fat cream cheese in your mixer on high speed for 1 minute. Next, add the white sugar. Beat on high speed for 30 more seconds.
Add in the smooth peanut butter and mix on high speed for 30 more seconds.
STEP 5: Add wet ingredients. Add the sour cream, heavy cream, and vanilla extract to the cream cheese mixture. Mix on medium speed until combined.
Add in the eggs one at a time while mixing on low speed.
STEP 6: Bake the cheesecake. Pour the cheesecake batter into the pan. Place the pan in your water bath using one of the hot water bath methods listed below.
Bake cheesecake for 70-80 minutes.
STEP 7: Cool cheesecake. Turn off the oven and prop the oven door. Let the cheesecake slightly cool for 30 minutes.
Then finish cooling on a cooling rack until room temperature. Cover and chill in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight.
STEP 8: Make the chocolate ganache. Pour hot cream over the chocolate chips. Let it sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds and mix until smooth and shiny.
If chocolate chunks remain microwave in 10 seconds intervals and stir until they are melted.
Decorating the Creamy Cheesecake
First, remove the cheesecake from the pan. Tilt it on it's side to remove the parchment paper.
Next, pour the chocolate ganache over the cheesecake. For drips down the side, use an offset spatula to push the chocolate over the edge of the cheesecake.
Top the cheesecake with chopped Nutter Butter pieces to finish the look.
Water Bath Tips
The water bath provides a moist environment for the cheesecake. This is because of the steam. When it is too dry, it will create cracks in the cheesecake.
Here are two techniques to try. They both use a roasting pan with hot steaming water.
- Place the springform pan inside a 10 inch cake pan. Place the cake pan in the roasting pan. Fill the pan with the hot water (about halfway up the cake pan)
- Wrap the springform pan with foil twice very tightly. Place the springform pan inside the roasting pan. Fill the pan halfway up with hot water.
My favorite method is the first one. This won't let any water at all get into the crust. It makes baking cheesecake so easy!
The second option gives the chance to get water inside and create a soggy crust.
Preventing Cheesecake Cracks
Beat the wet ingredients minus the eggs on high speed. Everything need to be super creamy and smooth. Chunks of cream cheese can cause cracks.
Add eggs on low speed. The goal is to have as little air as possible when mixing the eggs. Too much air can cause big bubbles in the cheesecake batter. It will make the cheesecake rise and fall too quickly when baking. Which causes cracks.
Use a water bath. This is essential! See below for cheesecake tips.
Cool the cheesecake. Once the cheesecake is done baking, it needs to sit in the hot oven for 30 minutes. This lets it cool slowly.
If you were to put the cheesecake on the counter right after done baking, it will be too quick of a temperature change, which cause cracks.
How To Easily Remove The Cheesecake From The Pan
First, spray the springform pan with baking non stick spray. Next, line the bottom of the pan with 9 inch parchment paper circle. Make sure to spray the pan again.
Then, after the cheesecake has chilled overnight. The springform pan should pop right off. If it doesn't very gently use a knife around the edge of the cheesecake to pop it off.
Then, you should be able to lay the cheesecake on it's side to take off the bottom of pan and the parchment circle.
Divide this recipe into thirds to make 12 mini cheesecake. Bake in a muffin pan for 18-20 minutes. Follow this Mini Oreo Cheesecakes for instructions for mini cheesecakes.
You can halve the recipe to make these into cheesecake bars using 8X8 or 9X9 inch baking pan (use 16 oz of cream cheese). You can also use a 8 inch springform pan. If you want to use a 6 inch springform pan, half the recipe, but use 16 oz of cream cheese.
First, make the cheesecake is very cold. Then, use a sharp knife to cut the slices. Clean the knife after every slice.
- You can skip the chocolate ganache to save time.
- You can add peanut butter cups to the batter like my Reese's peanut butter cup pie.
- Springform pan: I use a good quality 9-inch springform pan. Sometimes I will use an 8-inch springform pan if I want a taller cheesecake.
- Parchment paper circles: I used 8-inch parchment paper circles for the bottom of the pan. I love to use the premade circles, so I don't have to cut it out of regular parchment paper.
- Baking spray: I use the nonstick spray that has flour in it.
- Offset spatula: I use this to easily spread the frosting or fillings.
Storing and Freezing
Store this peanut butter cheesecake in the fridge in an airtight container like a cake carrier. Chill up to 5 days.
You can freeze the peanut butter cheesecake in individual cake slices. Store in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
You can also freeze the cheesecake before decorating. Wrap the cooled cheesecake (it needs to chill in the fridge overnight first), in plastic wrap and freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1-2 hours before decorating.
Other Cheesecake Recipes To Try
Peanut Butter Recipes To Try
- Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- Chocolate peanut butter cake
- Chocolate peanut butter stuffed cookies
- Peanut butter banana muffins
- Chocolate peanut butter cupcakes
Peanut Butter Cheesecake
Nutter Butter Crust
- 22 Nutter Butters regular sized cookies, fine crumb
- ½ cup Unsalted butter melted
Peanut Butter Cheesecake
- 24 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 cup Peanut butter creamy
- ½ cup Sour cream room temperature
- ¼ cup Heavy cream room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 3 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- Nutter Butter pieces for decoration
Nutter Butter Crust
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 9 inch springform pan with baking non-stick spray. Line the bottom with a parchment circle. Spray again.
- Place cookies into a food processor/blender. Pulse until fine crumbs. Combine crumbs with melted butter. Mix with a fork. Pour crumbs into pan. Use hand to press down the crust ½ way up the sides. Use the back of a measuring cup to compact the crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
Peanut Butter Cheesecake
- Using a mixer, beat the cream cheese on high for 1 minute. Scrape the bowl and add in the sugar and beat on high for 30 seconds. Add in the peanut butter and beat on high for 30 seconds. Scrape the bowl. Mix until the peanut butter is completely combined.
- Add in sour cream, heavy cream, and vanilla. Mix on medium until combined. Add in the eggs one at a time. Mix on low until just combined. After you add the last egg, scrape the bowl.
- Pour cheesecake batter into the pan. Prepare water bath.
- Two ways to do a water bath. Both require boiling/steaming water and a large roasting pan.1. Place spring form pan inside a 10 inch cake pan. Place cake pan into roasting pan and pour halfway up with hot water. I prefer this so no water gets into the pan.2. Wrap springform pan with foil twice. Wrap tightly. Place pan into roasting pan. Fill halfway with hot water.
- Bake for 70-80 minutes. Bake until the edges are set and the middle has a slight jiggle.
- Turn off the oven, and prop open the oven door. Let the cheesecake slightly cool for 30 minutes to prevent cracks. Transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely. Cover and chill in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight.
- Pour chocolate chips into a small bowl. Heat the heavy cream into a sauce pan on medium-low heat. Heat until hot and steaming. Pour hot cream over the chocolate chips. Let sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Mix until chocolate is combined. If any chocolate chip chunks remain heat in the microwave in 10 seconds intervals until melted.
- Take the pan off the cheesecake and remove the parchment circle. Pour the chocolate ganache over the cheesecake. For drips down the side, use an offset spatula to push the chocolate over the edge. Top with Nutter Butter pieces. Keep cold.