These sweet strawberry rolls are super gooey rolls that taste like strawberries and creamy. It is filled with a strawberry filling and strawberry preserves. The rolls are topped with cream cheese glaze. These are perfect to make for brunch!
These strawberry rolls are like cinnamon rolls except full of strawberry flavor. These rolls are perfect to make for a special occasion like Easter or Mother's Day. It is also perfect for a weekend breakfast.
My favorite part about these rolls is the filling! The strawberry filling uses freeze dried strawberries that is spread over the dough, then on top of that is a strawberry preserve.
Why This Recipe Works
- Soft dough- The dough part of this recipe is very soft because it has butter cut into the flour. As the butter melts it creates a soft and fluffy roll.
- Strawberry filling- The filling has softened butter, sugar, and freeze dried strawberries that gets spread over the dough.
- Strawberry preserves- This is basically like a thick jam that gets spread on top of the rolls.
- Cream cheese glaze- You can't have a roll without cream cheese glaze!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Milk- Make sure it is warmed to 110F. This helps to activate the yeast.
- Dry yeast- This recipe uses 2 packets to give it more of a rise. The best to use is active dry yeast.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Unsalted butter- Pull all the butter out 2 hours before baking.
- Strawberries- Use fresh strawberries for this recipe.
- Freeze dried strawberries- You can find these in the dried fruit aisle at the store. If you can't find any, then you can use strawberry jam in a pinch.
- Cream cheese- Pull this out 2 hours before baking. Use full fat cream cheese.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure to sift this to prevent a gritty frosting.
Step By Step Instructions- Dough
Here is how to make and bake the dough. This is for making this sweet roll recipe with a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment. To make this recipe by hand, see the recipe notes at the very bottom.
STEP 1: Warm the milk. First warm the milk in the microwave until it reaches 110F. Pour the yeast into the warm milk and let it sit for 10 minutes. It will become foamy and bubbly.
STEP 2: Cut the butter into the dry ingredients. In a large bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, sugar, and salt. Pour the room temperature cubed butter and use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the size of a pea.
STEP 3: Add wet ingredients. Next, add the milk mixture and eggs to the flour mixture. Mix on low speed until a dough starts to form. Then, turn to medium speed and knead for 5 minutes.
The dough will be tacky slightly.
STEP 4: Rise for 1 hour. Place the dough in a greased bowl in a warm place for 1 hour. It will be about double in size.
Step By Step Instructions- Assembling The Rolls
STEP 1: Strawberry filling. First, beat the butter, brown sugar, white sugar, and grounded freeze-dried strawberries. It will be very soft.
STEP 2: Cook the strawberries. In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix chopped strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, water, and lemon juice. Heat this until it thickens.
Make sure this is completely cooled before adding to the rolls.
STEP 3: Roll out the dough. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured work surface and roll to a large rectangle about ¼ inch thick with a rolling pin.
STEP 4: Spread the fillings. First, spread the strawberry filling over the rolls using an offset spatula. Then, spread the strawberry preserves on top of the filling.
STEP 5: Roll the dough. Next, roll the dough into a tight long. This process will be super messy!
STEP 6: Cut the dough. Use a serrated knife to cut the dough into 12 even rolls. Place these in a 9X13 inch baking pan. Spray the pan with baking nonstick spray and line the bottoms and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper.
STEP 7: Rise. Let the rolls rise for 35 minutes.
STEP 8: Bake the rolls. Bake the rolls for 25 minutes until lightly golden brown on top.
STEP 9: Top the rolls. Top the rolls with the cream cheese glaze when they are hot. You can also the rolls with fresh berries.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure to flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick your measuring cup into the bag of flour, it will compact it. Compacted flour can lead to dry dough.
- When you are rolling the dough, the filling should go all the way on the short side, but leave a barrier around the long edges.
- Cut the uneven edges of the strawberry cinnamon rolls. Then, use a measuring tape to cut the rolls evenly.
- When the rolls are rising the first time, I like to place them in a bowl sprayed cooking nonstick spray in a warm oven. I get a much better rise this way.
- Top the rolls with a cream cheese glaze when they are hot. This allows the glaze to melt through the cracks.
You probably added too much flour. If the dough isn't soft it has to do with the flour. It could also be about over baking the rolls. Bake the rolls in a lightly colored pan to avoid the bottoms over baking.
Yes you can! After you knead the dough, place in a large mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap and chill. Place in the fridge for at least 3 hours or up to 14 hours.
Yes you can! Bake for 15 minutes and chill in the fridge. Then, in the morning you can finish baking them.
Storing and Freezing
Store these strawberry rolls in an airtight container and store in the fridge. Store up to 5 days.
The rolls can be frozen. Freeze in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1 hour and reheat in the microwave.
Other Brunch Recipes To Try
Sweet Strawberry Rolls
- 1 cup Milk warmed to 110F
- 2 Packets of dry active yeast equal to 14 grams
- 2 Large eggs room temperature slightly beaten
- 4 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- 10 tablespoon Unsalted butter room temperature and cubed
- ½ cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup White granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Brown sugar packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon Grounded Freeze dried strawberries Ground the strawberries then measure
- 2 cups Diced strawberries washed and diced into small pieces.
- ⅓ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon Cornstarch
- 3 tablespoon Water
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 4 tablespoon Unsalted butter room temperarature
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups Powdered sugar sifted
- 3 tablespoon Milk or Heavy cream
- Heat the milk in the microwave for 1 minute. Make sure it is around 110°F. Pour both packets of yeast into the milk. Let it sit for 10 minute for it foam and activate.1 cup Milk, 2 Packets of dry active yeast
- These instructions are for a stand mixer with a dough hook. For making this by hand, see the recipe notes. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour. Add in salt and sugar.4 ½ cups All-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon Salt, ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- Pour all the cubed butter into the dry ingredients. Use a pastry cutter or a fork to cut the butter into the dry ingredients. The butter needs to be the size of a pea.10 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- Pour milk/yeast and beat eggs on top of dry ingredients. Use the dough hook and low speed and mix until a dough starts to form. Switch to medium speed and knead for 5 minutes. The dough should be tacky.2 Large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Spray a large mixing bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Place the dough in the bowl and cover with a towel. Place in the oven and turn off the oven and crack open the door. Let it sit for 1 hour. Let it double in size.
- Make this asap, so it can cool before using.
- Using a medium saucepan, add diced strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, water, and lemon juice. Heat until the strawberries start to release their juice, don't mash the berries. Heat until it is bubbling and thickens.2 cups Diced strawberries, ⅓ cup White granulated sugar, 1 ½ tablespoon Cornstarch, 3 tablespoon Water, 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- Pour the preserves into a bowl and place in the fridge to chill while the dough rises.
- Using a hand mixer and a small bowl. Beat the butter, sugar, brown sugar, and grounded freeze dried strawberries. Mix until soft and "paste like" consistency.½ cup Unsalted butter, ½ cup White granulated sugar, ¼ cup Brown sugar, 2 tablespoon Grounded Freeze dried strawberries
Cream Cheese Glaze
- Using a hand mixer and a small bowl. Beat the cream cheese and butter on high speed for 1 minute. Add in sifted powdered sugar. Mix until smooth.4 oz Cream cheese, 4 tablespoon Unsalted butter, 1 ½ cups Powdered sugar
- Add in vanilla and milk. Mix until creamy, and has the consistency that you can spread on top of the rolls.2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 3 tablespoon Milk or Heavy cream
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface. Roll until ¼ inch thick and it is a large rectangle.
- Spread the strawberry filling over the cake. Use a offset spatula to spread it evenly. Make sure to spread to the edges.
- Pour the cooled strawberry preserves on top of the filling. Use a spoon to spread it over evenly.
- Roll the dough starting on the short side (getting as many swirls into the rolls as we can). Roll the dough tightly. This will be very messy!
- Cut the uneven ends off using a serrated knife. Cut the log into 12 even rolls. I measured mine using a measuring tape. Cut them using light sawing motions using a serrated knife.
- Spray a 9X13 inch pan with baking spray. Place the rolls evenly into the pan. Cover with a towel and let rise for 35 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the rolls for 22-27 minutes. Bake until the tops are lightly golden brown.
- Spread the cream cheese glaze on top of the hot rolls. The glaze will melt into the cracks. Serve these rolls warm.