These strawberry brownies are fudgy chocolate brownies full of fresh strawberries and freeze dried strawberries. They are also topped with a strawberry glaze. They taste like chocolate covered strawberries, but in brownie form. This recipe uses honey to enhance the sweetness.
I have been compensated by Wholesome Sweeteners, Inc., maker of Wholesome® sweeteners for my participation in this campaign
These strawberry brownies are fudgy strawberries that taste like chocolate covered strawberries. They are perfect for Valentine's day, baby showers, spring celebrations, special occasions, or just to surprise someone you love! Strawberry lovers and chocolate lovers will fall for these delicious brownies. This strawberry brownie recipe will be your new favorite.
Why This Strawberry Brownie Recipe Works
- Chocolate covered strawberry- This strawberry brownies recipe carefully balances the chocolate and strawberry flavor to make sure you get that chocolate covered strawberry feeling!
- Fudgy brownies- Like all the best brownies, these have that perfect fudgy texture that makes them so hard to put down.
- Strawberry glaze- This strawberry glaze really brings home the strawberry flavor and also shows off the strawberry flavor in a cute and fun way! I highly recommend including it.
- Easy Recipe- This recipe is easy to make and breaks down each step into easy to follow steps so anyone can enjoy this sweet treat!
Ingredient Notes for Strawberry Brownies
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Large Eggs- Pull these out 2 hours before baking to get to room temperature.
- Oil- Use canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Powdered sugar- I used Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Powdered Confectioners Sugar. Be sure to sift this as clumps can cause gritty frosting.
- Strawberries- Use fresh strawberries or frozen and thawed for the diced strawberries. The ground strawberries are important because they boost the strawberry flavor without affecting the texture.
- Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Raw and Unfiltered Honey- I love this Fair Trade honey that I can feel good about using. This honey is a raw and unfiltered honey that retains some of its naturally occurring pollen!
- Cane Sugar- I used Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar. It has hints of molasses in the crystals and has a slightly warmer and satisfying taste!
- Dairy free- You can use your favorite dairy free options for this recipe!
- Gluten free- I haven't tested this gluten free. Let me know if you do.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these strawberry brownies. This recipe uses an electric mixer. I recommend a stand mixer over a hand mixer for this recipe.
STEP 1: Prep. Preheat oven to 325°F. Then, spray a 9X9 inch square baking pan with baking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper coming up 2 sides of the pan and spray it again.
STEP 2: Dry ingredients. Sift all purpose flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt together in a medium bowl. Then, in a separate bowl, combine diced strawberries, cane sugar, and a drizzle of honey.
STEP 3: Beat eggs. Add the sugar, eggs, and egg yolk to the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment. Beat them on high speed for 5 minutes.
STEP 4: Combine. Add melted butter, oil, honey, and vanilla extract. Mix it on low until all combined. Next, add the flour mixture and mix on low until they are just combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
STEP 5: Separate and pour. Separate ¼ of the batter and spread an even layer in the bottom of the prepared pan. (This prevents strawberries from compromising the structure of the base)
STEP 6: Add strawberries. Drain juice from the bowl of fresh strawberries. Then, mix in the flour. Next, add the fresh strawberries and freeze-dried strawberries to the remaining batter. Pour the strawberry brownie batter and smooth it into an even layer.
STEP 7: Bake. Bake the brownies in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes. The brownies are done when a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with moist crumbs. If there is raw batter cook an additional 5 minutes.
STEP 8: Cool. Place the baking dish on a wire rack to cool completely.
This strawberry frosting is optional, but very much worth adding. It enhances the strawberry flavor so it isn't overpowered by the chocolate bringing it from a strawberry flavored chocolate dessert to one that tastes more like a chocolate covered strawberry.
STEP 1: Combine. In a small bowl, mix together the sifted powdered sugar, ground freeze-dried strawberries, and milk.
STEP 2: Pour. Pour glaze on top of the brownies. That's it!
I recommend letting the glaze harden before you cut the brownies to get the best results.
Expert Baking Tips
When you are baking the brownies, you need to be careful when you stir in the rest of the ingredients after the eggs are beaten.
If they are added in too fast, the eggs' air will deflate and you won't get as much of a rise from the brownies.
Make sure to spray the pan with baking non-stick spray, so the brownie doesn't stick to the pan. It is also a good idea to place parchment paper on the bottom of the tray as well.
Make sure your parchment paper comes far enough up the sides that you can use it as a handle to lift the brownie to make removing it from the tray easier.
This means that the brownies were too under done. You will probably have extremely fudgy brownies. Bake the brownies again for another 5-10 minutes to cook them more.
This means the brownies are over baked. Make sure when you bake these, the center is slightly under done. You should get moist brownie crumbs when doing the toothpick test.
Yes you can. It will just make thick brownies.
- You can skip the strawberries inside the batter, if you just want the strawberry icing.
- 9X9 pan: I use metal square pans for baking. I don't recommend glass pans.
- Parchment paper: I use premade sheets of parchment paper vs the roll of parchment paper. It makes baking a lot easier!
- Baking spray: I use the nonstick spray that has flour in it.
- Offset spatula: I use this to easily spread the frosting or fillings.
Storing and Freezing
Store these strawberry brownies in an airtight container like a cake carrier. Store in the fridge up to 5 days. Heat them in the microwave for a few seconds before eating for a warm brownie.
You can freeze the strawberry brownies in individual brownie slices. Place in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days.
Other Brownie Recipes To Try
Try These Strawberry Recipes
- 2 cups Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar
- 3 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 Egg yolk
- ½ cup Unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup Oil canola or vegetable
- 2 tablespoon Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Raw Unfiltered Honey
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Freeze dried strawberries
- 1 cup Diced strawberries
- 2 teaspoon Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar
- Drizzle of Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Raw Unfiltered Honey
- 1 tablespoon All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Powdered Confectioners Sugar sifted
- ½ cup Ground freeze dried strawberries measured before grinding
- 2 tablespoon Milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F, spray a 9X9-inch square pan with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper. Spray again.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl combine diced strawberries, cane sugar, and a drizzle of honey.1 cup All-purpose flour, 1 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon Cornstarch, ½ teaspoon Salt, 1 cup Diced strawberries, 2 teaspoon Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar, Drizzle of Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Raw Unfiltered Honey
- Using a mixer with a whisk attachment, add the sugar, eggs, and egg yolk. Beat on high speed for 5 minutes.2 cups Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar, 3 Large eggs, 1 Egg yolk
- Add in the melted butter, oil, honey, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined. Add in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined.½ cup Unsalted butter, ½ cup Oil, 2 tablespoon Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Raw Unfiltered Honey, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Take off the mixer and use a rubber spatula to mix to make sure it is all combined. Separate out ¼ of the batter. Spread the ¼ of the batter in the pan. (This is to prevent the strawberries being on the bottom of the brownies).
- Drain the juice out of the bowl with the fresh strawberries. Add in the flour and mix. Add the fresh strawberries and freeze dried strawberries to the remaining batter. Pour the batter in the pan and spread smooth.1 cup Freeze dried strawberries, 1 tablespoon All-purpose flour
- Bake for 40-50 minutes. The brownies are done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs. If any batter comes out, bake for another 5 minutes.
- Place the pan on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine sifted powdered sugar, ground freeze dried strawberries, and milk. Pour glaze on top of brownies.1 cup Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Powdered Confectioners Sugar, ½ cup Ground freeze dried strawberries, 2 tablespoon Milk
- For best results, wait for the glaze to harden before cutting into the brownies.