This white forest cake is a three layered fluffy white cake. It is full of a cherry pie filling, white chocolate frosting and a white chocolate drip. This is a white chocolate version of a black forest cake.
This white forest cake is a nonalcoholic version of a black forest cake. The sweetness of a white cake and white chocolate frosting goes so well with the cherry pie filling. The cherry filling has cinnamon and it is so full of flavor.
Besides the filling, the best part about this cake is the white chocolate frosting. It is sweet and creamy and pairs so well with the cherries.
Try these cherry pie bars.
Why This Recipe Works
- White cake- This has three layers of a fluffy white cake.
- Cherry filling- The cherry filling can be made with fresh or frozen cherries. It has added cinnamon to give it a great flavor.
- White chocolate frosting- This buttercream frosting is full of melted white chocolate.
- White chocolate drip- This drip is made from white chocolate chips, but colored white.
- Fluffy texture- The texture of this cake is super fluffy.
Here are some notes on the white forest cake recipe ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- For the cake, pull the butter out 2 hours before baking. For the frosting, let it sit on the counter for 30 minutes to get slightly cold.
- Oil- Use canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Sour cream- Use full fat sour cream. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Egg+ Egg whites- The egg whites help make this cake white instead of yellow. Pull the eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Buttermilk- Use full fat or reduced fat buttermilk. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Cherries- You can use fresh cherries or frozen cherries. They should be pitted and cut in half.
- Cornstarch- This helps to thicken the filling.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure it is sifted to avoid a gritty frosting.
- White chocolate- For the frosting, use 2 high quality white chocolate bars. I used Lindt. For the drip, use a high quality white chocolate chips. I used Ghirardelli.
Step By Step Instructions- White Cake Layers
Here is how to make and bake these white cake layers. This recipe uses a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer (electric mixer). It also uses three 8-inch cake pans. Make sure to spray the pan with baking spray and line with 8-inch parchment paper circles.
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, sift the all-purpose flour. Then, add baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
STEP 2: Mix the butter, oil, and sugar. Using a large bowl, beat the butter, oil, and white sugar together on high speed for 3 minutes. Then, add the sour cream and vanilla extract.
STEP 3: Add egg and egg whites. Add these in one at a time and mix on medium speed until combined.
STEP 4: Add the dry ingredients and buttermilk. Alternate between these two on low speed until just combined.
STEP 5: Bake. Pour the cake batter between the three cake pans. Then, bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Let the cakes sit in the hot pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Make sure the cakes are completely cool before decorating.
Step By Step Instructions- Filling and Frosting
STEP 1: Cook the cherries. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook the cherries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, ground cinnamon, water, and vanilla extract.
Cook these until the cherries release their juices, and slightly mash them. It should thicken. Let it cool completely.
STEP 2: Beat the butter. Using a mixer with a large mixing bowl, beat the butter on high for 3 minutes. Then, add in the powdered sugar.
STEP 3: Add the wet ingredients. Next, add the melted white chocolate, vanilla, salt, and heavy cream. Mix on low until just combined before switching to high speed. Beat until the frosting is really fluffy.
STEP 3: Heat the heavy cream. Start the white chocolate drip right before you need it. Heat the heavy cream using a small saucepan. Then, pour over the white chocolate chips and let sit for 2 minutes.
STEP 4: Stir. Stir the white chocolate until melted and smooth. If any white chocolate chunks remain, heat in the microwave for 15 seconds. Make sure it is room temperature before using.
Assembling The Cake
- Use a serrated knife or cake leveler to cut the domes off the cakes, so they are even. Then, place a small amount of frosting on the board you are decorating on.
- Place the 1st layer of cake down. Frost the cake with ¾ cup of frosting. Then, pipe a border of frosting around the edge. Spread half of the cherry filling in the center of the cake.
- Repeat with the second cake layer and place the last layer of cake with the bottom of the cake facing up. This will give you flattest edge possible for the top of the cake.
- Fill the sides of the cakes with frosting. Since the filling is soft, it needs to set before frosting Freeze for 10 minutes.
- If you decorating the cake in a semi-naked look like mine, go ahead and frost it now. Use a cake scrapper to scrape the frosting so you see peeps of cake poking out.
- If you are frosting the cake normally, frost the cake in a light layer. Freeze the cake for 15 minutes, then frost the rest of the cake.
- Freeze the cake for 10 minutes before applying the drip.
Black forest uses cocoa powder in their cake. White forest is a white cake. They both use cherries and a creamy frosting or whipped cream.
This recipe can make thick 3 or 4 6-inch cake pans and a 9X13-inch baking pan. Half the recipe to use 3 6-inch cake pans, 8X8-inch baking pan, and 9X9-inch baking pan.
Yes it can! Half the recipe to make 12 cupcakes.
Storing and Freezing
Store this white forest cake in an airtight container like a cake carrier. Store the cake in the fridge up to 5 days. The cake taste best at room temperature.
You can freeze the white forest cake into individual cake slices. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
You can also freeze the cake layers ahead of time. After the cakes are cooled, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour before decorating.
Other Cake Recipes To Try
White Forest Cake
- 3 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¾ cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- ¼ cup Oil canola or vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups White granulated sugar
- ½ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 2 teaspoon Clear vanilla extract or pure vanilla extract
- 1 Large egg room temperature
- 4 Egg whites room temperature
- 1 cup Buttermilk room temperature
- 2 cups Cherries cut in half fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
White Chocolate Frosting
- 2 cups Unsalted butter slightly cold
- 6 cups Powdered sugar sifted
- 8 oz White chocolate bars
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ cup Heavy cream
White Chocolate Drip
- 1 cup White chocolate chips
- ¼ cup Heavy cream
- White food coloring
- Fresh cherries for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray three 8-inch cake pan with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottoms with 8-inch parchment paper circles and spray again.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour. Add the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.3 ½ cups All-purpose flour, 2 teaspoon Baking powder, 1 teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Salt
- Using a mixer, beat the butter, oil, and sugar on high speed for 3 minutes. It will become pale in color. Add the sour cream and vanilla and mix until combined.¾ cup Unsalted butter, ¼ cup Oil, 1 ½ cups White granulated sugar, ½ cup Sour cream, 2 teaspoon Clear vanilla extract
- Add the egg and egg whites one at a time and mix on medium speed until combined.1 Large egg, 4 Egg whites
- Add ⅓rd of the dry ingredients and half of the buttermilk and mix on low speed. Add another ⅓rd of the dry ingredients and the rest of the buttermilk. Then, finish with the rest of the dry ingredients.1 cup Buttermilk
- Take the bowl off the mixer and use a rubber spatula to scrape the bowl. Pour the cake batter evenly throughout the three cake pans.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake sit in the hot pans for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Cut the cherries (make sure they are pitted) in half. In a saucepan over medium heat, mix the cherries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, cinnamon, and vanilla.2 cups Cherries
- Heat on medium until the cherries softened and release the juice. Once softened , use the back of a wooden spoon to lightly mash the cherries. Cook until thickens slightly.¼ cup White granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon Cornstarch, 1 tablespoon Lemon juice, 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Pour into a bowl and cool completely.
White Chocolate Frosting
- Pull the butter out for 30 minutes to get slightly cold. Sift the powdered sugar in a large bowl. Place the white chocolate in a bowl and heat for 30 seconds in a microwave until it starts to melt. Then, heat for 15 second intervals until melted, make sure to stir well between each interval. Let it cool.2 cups Unsalted butter, 6 cups Powdered sugar, 8 oz White chocolate bars
- Using a mixer, beat the butter on high speed for 3 minutes. Scrape the bowl. Slowly add in the powdered sugar and mix on low speed.
- Add in the melted white chocolate, vanilla, salt, and heavy cream and mix until just combined on low. Then, switch to high speed and mix until super fluffy for 2-3 minutes.1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ¾ teaspoon Salt, ¼ cup Heavy cream
White Chocolate Drip
- Start this right before using it. Pour the white chocolate chips into a bowl. Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan on medium-low heat until steaming. Pour the heavy cream on top of the white chocolate chips.1 cup White chocolate chips, ¼ cup Heavy cream
- Let it sit for 2 minutes before stirring. Add in white food coloring to make it white instead of yellow.White food coloring
- Use a serrated knife to cut off any uneven domes on the cakes. Pipe a small amount of frosting on the board you are decorating on.
- Place the 1st layer of cake down on the board. Frost ¾ cups of frosting over the cake. Pipe a border of frosting around the edges of the cake. Spread half of the cherry filling on top.
- Repeat with the second cake layer. Place the last layer of cake with the bottom of the cake facing up.
- Fill any of the cracks of the cake with frosting (on the sides). Then, frost the cake in a very light layer of frosting. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes. This will lock the crumbs into the cake.
- Frost the rest of the cake. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Make the white chocolate drip. Pour half of it into a piping bag and cut off a little bit of a tip. Pipe the white chocolate on the very edge of the cake, so it will drip down the sides. Pour the rest of the white chocolate on top and smooth it until even.
- Freeze for 10 minutes and decorate with more cherries.Fresh cherries