This blackberry lemon bread is an easy to make bread full of fresh lemon flavor and fresh blackberries. The bread texture is similar to banana bread, it is incredibly soft and make a perfect pound loaf cake! The cake is also topped with a lemon glaze.
This blackberry lemon bread has the most fluffy texture. It is soft and moist, but the addition of the blackberries makes it even better! My husband loved this recipe! He wants me to make it for him every week now.
This bread would be perfect to make for brunch or if you have extra lemons or blackberries.
For more loaf recipes, try Chocolate Marble Loaf Cake, Walnut Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, and Easy Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread.
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy to make- This recipe is easy to make. It does require a mixer for the best texture.
- Fresh lemon- This recipe needs one lemon. The fresh lemon flavor feels stronger on your tongue as it sits. It is perfect for spring.
- Blackberry bread- This recipe uses 2 containers of fresh blackberries to create pockets of blackberries in each bite. Which means this is perfect to make during blackberry season.
- Lemon glaze- The tangy lemon glaze helps to increase the lemon flavor. It also helps to sweetened the bread as well. The glaze isn't necessary, the bread still tastes great on its own.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- Pull this out 2 hours before baking. It needs to softened to room temperature.
- Lemon zest- This recipe require 1 large lemon. The lemon juice for the glaze, I ended up using bottle lemon juice.
- Sour cream- Use full fat sour cream. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking. Normally these bread recipe require 2 eggs, the extra egg helps to bind the bread together better.
- Blackberries- Use fresh blackberries for this recipe. Frozen blackberries will bleed too much into the batter.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure it is sifted to avoid a gritty glaze.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake this blackberry lemon loaf. This recipe uses a 9 X 5-inch loaf pan, stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer (electric mixer), rubber spatula, zester, and juicer.
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients. In a large bowl, sift the all-purpose flour. Then, add the baking powder and salt. Before you start the wet ingredients, prepare the lemon zest, lemon juice, and juicy blackberries.
Mix the quartered blackberries in a small bowl and mix in the tablespoon of flour.
STEP 2: Beat the butter and sugar. Using a mixer in a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar on high speed for 3 minutes. The goal is too really aerate the butter.
STEP 3: Add wet ingredients. Next, add vanilla extract, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sour cream. Then, add in the eggs and beat until combined. It will appear separated, but this is because of the acidity in the lemon.
STEP 4: Add flour mixture. Add the flour mixture and mix in on low speed. Then, use a rubber spatula to fold in the blackberries. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
Important note: You will not be using all of the batter, the extra batter can be used to make muffins. Use a muffin pan with paper liners and bake the extra batter for 18 minutes.
STEP 5: Bake. Pour batter into the prepared pan and fill ¾ths of the way full. Bake for 55-60 minutes. It does require a long bake time.
STEP 6: Cool. Let the bread cool for 10 minutes in the hot pan, then let it cool completely on a cooling rack.
STEP 7: Lemon glaze. Next, prepare the lemon glaze and pour on top of the lemon bread.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup into the flour, this will compact it. Compacted flour can dry out the loaf.
- Spray the loaf pan with baking nonstick spray. Then, line the bottom and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper. This will allow for an easy removal after it is done baking.
- The butter and sugar needs to be beaten on high for 3 minutes because this aerates the butter. This helps to give it a very light texture.
- Make sure to coat the blackberries in flour, otherwise they will all sink to the bottom.
- Don't over fill the loaf pan. It will spill over if you do.
- The lemon glaze is optional, but it brings to loaf cake to the next level.
Yes you can! If you do, use the leftovers to make into muffins.
Yes you can! Use a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners and bake for 16-18 minutes.
Yes you can! You can use blueberries or strawberries.
Storing and Freezing
Store this lemon blackberry bread in an airtight container or wrap in aluminum foil. Store at room temperature up to 30 days.
The moist blackberry loaf cake can be frozen. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in the freezer up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Loaf Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW if you loved this recipe! Make sure to tag me on Instagram @stephaniesweettreats. To get more ideas follow me on Pinterest.
Blackberry Lemon Bread
Blackberry Lemon Bread
- 2 ⅓ cup All-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- One large lemon zested
- ¼ cup Lemon juice or juice of one lemon
- ⅓ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 3 Large eggs room temperature
- 6 oz Fresh blackberries washed and quarted
- 1 tablespoon All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoon Milk
Blackberry Lemon Bread
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Spray a 9X5 inch loaf pan with a baking nonstick spray. Line the bottoms and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper and spray again.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour. Add the baking powder and salt. Set aside. Zest the lemon and prepare the lemon juce. Set aside. Quarter the blackberries and place in a small bowl. Add the 1 Tablespoon of flour and stir until the blackberries are coated in flour.2 ⅓ cup All-purpose flour, 2 teaspoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Salt, One large lemon zested, ¼ cup Lemon juice, 6 oz Fresh blackberries, 1 tablespoon All-purpose flour
- Using a mixer, beat the butter and sugar on high speed for 3 minutes. Scrape the bowl. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, and sour cream. Mix on medium until combined.1 cup Unsalted butter, 1 cup White granulated sugar, ⅓ cup Sour cream, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Add the eggs in one at a time and mix on medium speed. Add in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed.3 Large eggs
- Take off the mixer, and use a rubber spatula to fold the blackberries into the batter.
- Fill the pan ¾ths full. There will be unused batter.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the bread sit in the hot pan for 10 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Sift the powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Add the lemon juice and milk. Whisk together until smooth. The consistency should be thick enough to pour on top of the bread. If it is too thin, add ¼ cup of powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add extra 1 teaspoon of milk.1 cup Powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon Lemon juice, 1-2 tablespoon Milk
- Pour the glaze on top of the bread.
I dont usually gravitate towards lemony desserts, but this looked so good and it did not disappoint!! Amazing texture. 10/10.
I need this in my life 🤤
Stephanie Rutherford says
Right? It is so good! I hope you enjoy!