This chocolate chip walnut banana bread is SO moist. It has both mini chocolate chips and walnuts to give each bite a crunch and chocolate flavor. This banana bread uses melted butter and sour cream to make it crazy moist and soft.
Tips To Make The Batter
This banana bread is super easy to make. You don't even need a mixer! Here are my tips to make it.
- Melted and slightly cooled butter- To give this loaf its texture, use melted butter. Heat the butter in the microwave and let it sit for 3-5 minutes before adding the brown sugar.
- Room temperature sour cream and eggs- This part is a must to give the bread a better rise. Pull these out 2 hours before making.
- Use a whisk- This recipe doesn't need a mixer, a regular whisk will do.
- Ripe bananas- Use three ripe medium size bananas to give this bread its flavor.
- Mini chocolate chips- Use the mini size! This gives it small pockets of chocolate through out the entire loaf!
- Walnuts- These are optional, but it gives the banana bread a bit of a crunch. Make sure they are chopped into small pieces.
What Type Of Pan To Use
This recipe is made for a 9 inch loaf pan. Use a light colored pan and not a dark pan. A light colored pan will make sure the edges don't over bake.
If you only have an 8 inch loaf pan that is okay! Fill the pan up ¾ full. Then, with the rest of batter you can make muffins.
Bake the muffins for 16-18 minutes.
Whatever pan you use, make sure to spray with a non-stick baking spray.
Topping The Banana Bread
Once you pour the batter into the pan, make sure you top with extra toppings.
Sprinkle extra mini chocolate chips and chopped walnuts for extra texture and flavor.
Brown Ripe Bananas
As a baker, I always have old bananas that need to be turned into banana bread. However, if you are craving banana bread and want it now, here are my 2 tips to score brown bananas.
- Go to the store and look in the produce section. There are always discounted bananas that are ripe. This is honestly my secret to getting ripe bananas quickly.
- 24-48 hours before baking the banana bread, lock some bananas in a brown paper bag. This will encourage the bananas to brown quickly.
Baking The Loaf
After about 30 minutes, I will top the banana bread with foil to prevent over browning on top. Keep the foil on for the rest of the bake.
The banana bread is done baking when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cutting The Bread Into Perfect Slices
First, make sure the chocolate chip walnut banana bread is cooled completely.
Then, another tip is throw the loaf in the freezer for 10 minutes. This will allow it hold together a lot easier.
Then use a bread knife to make your slices.
How To Store The Bread
I will cut the loaf into the slices, then store it in foil or in an air tight container.
It will last up to 5 days. Then, I like to heat it in the microwave until warm and top with butter.
Other Banana Bread Recipes To Try
Chocolate Chip Walnut Banana Bread
- ½ cup Unsalted butter melted
- ¾ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ¼ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 3 Medium ripe bananas mashed
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup Mini chocolate chips extra for topping
- ½ cup Chopped walnuts extra for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 inch loaf pan with baking non-stick spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper. Spray again.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside. In a separate bowl, use a whisk and mix melted butter and brown sugar. Then, add in sour cream and vanilla. Mix until combined. Add in eggs and mix. Add in the mashed bananas.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula. Add in mini chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into pan. Top with extra mini chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 50 minutes-1 hour. It is done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. To prevent over browning, tent the loaf with foil. Let it sit in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before cutting into it.