These cinnamon banana scones are large, moist, and flaky scones filled with ripe bananas and cinnamon. The scones are topped with cinnamon cream cheese glaze. They are easy to make and packed with flavor. These are definitely not like your traditional scones!
These cinnamon banana scones were originally on my site, but they used to spread too much. It has been updated to be easy to make with no spread.
You are left with large banana scones that are super soft and moist!
Why You Will Love This
- Large and soft scones- These scones are very soft and tender. Traditional scones are on the dry side, these are very soft because of the bananas and heavy cream.
- Ripe bananas- This recipe is the perfect reason to use up those ripe bananas.
- Cinnamon cream cheese glaze- The glaze just makes the scones. They wouldn't be the same without it!
- Easy to make- They are pretty easy to make! They are similar to homemade biscuits, no need for a mixer.
What Are Scones?
Scones are basically a richer and denser version of biscuits.
Biscuits are fluffy, flakey, and more acidic. It often uses buttermilk.
Scones are richer because it use both an egg and heavy cream. The result is a sturdy and crumbly pastry.
Scones are traditionally in the shape of a triangle, like these. However, they can be made into circles or squares like biscuits.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Butter- The butter gets cubed and then put in the freezer. It needs to be very cold butter.
- Heavy cream- For best results use heavy cream instead of milk.
- Bananas- Use 2 spotted ripe bananas.
- Sugar- The sugar is used for the top of the scones. It gives them a better color when baking.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream cheese. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these scones.
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients together. Mix everything together. Then, cut the butter into cubes and freeze until cold.
STEP 2: Cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Do this until the butter is a size of a pea.
STEP 3: Pour in the wet ingredients. Add the heavy cream, mashed bananas, egg, and vanilla. Use a rubber spatula to fold them together.
STEP 4: Knead the dough. Knead using your hands and knead until just combined. Make sure to not to overmix!
STEP 5: Place dough on a cookie sheet. Make sure to use a parchment paper. Then, use your hands to mold the dough into a 7" circle.
STEP 6: Cut the dough. Next, cut the dough into 8 triangles. Spread them until apart slightly. Then, freeze for 20 minutes.
STEP 7: Bake the scones. Top the scones with heavy cream and a sprinkle of sugar. Then, bake for 25-28 minutes. Bake until golden.
STEP 8: Cream cheese glaze. Mix the cream cheese and powdered sugar together. Add in the cinnamon, vanilla, and milk.
STEP 9: Top the scones with the glaze. Use a spoon to pour the glaze on.
Expert Baking Tips
If you don't have a pastry cutter, you can use 2 forks or use your hands. The goal is to shred the butter until it is pea sized.
When making these scones, it is SO important to not over mix the dough.
When you are kneading by hand the dough will still be dry. There will be dry ingredients bit on the bottom of the bowl. This is how it should look!
If you are kneading and it is completely smooth, that means you over mixed it. Over mixed scone dough will be dry and tough.
Don't skip the freezer step. The butter in the dough needs to be cold before going in the oven.
This means you probably over mixed the dough! It should be soft and moist inside the scones.
When you bake the scones close together (about 1 inch apart) they will rise together. This gives them a more even rise.
These scones need heavy cream for best results.
Storing and Freezing
These cinnamon banana scones should be stored at room temperature in an airtight container. Store up to 5 days. They are best a little warm.
The scones freeze best with no glaze. If you plan to freeze them, wait to apply the glaze once thawed.
Wrap the scones in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 2 hours before glazing.
Other Banana Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Easy Cinnamon Banana Scones
Cinnamon Banana Scones
- 3 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- 2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Ground nutmeg
- ½ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ½ cup Unsalted butter cold and cubed
- 2 Bananas ripe and mashed
- ¾ cup Heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 Large egg lightly beaten.
- 2 tablespoon Heavy cream cold
- White granulated sugar for the tops of the scones.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- ⅓ cup Powdered sugar
- ¾ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon Milk
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
Cinnamon Banana Scones
- In a large bowl, sift together flour. Whisk in salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar.3 ½ cups All-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon Salt, 1 tablespoon Baking powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking soda, 2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon Ground nutmeg, ½ cup Brown sugar
- In a small bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a potato masher or a fork. Take the cold butter, and cut it into small cubes. Freeze until cold.½ cup Unsalted butter, 2 Bananas
- Add the butter into the dry ingredients bowl. Use a pastry cutter ( or 2 forks or your fingers) to mash the butter into the flour. This will take a few minutes. The butter should be the size of a pea.
- Pour the mashed bananas, lightly beaten egg, vanilla, and heavy cream into the butter/dry ingredient bowl. Use a rubber spatula and fold the wet into the dry. Switch to your hands to knead until combined. There will be some dry ingredients bits left at the bottom of the bowl. Do this until combined, but don't over knead.¾ cup Heavy cream, 1 Large egg, 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Pour the dough onto the cookie sheet. Mold it with your hands into a 7 inch diameter circle.
- It should be very thick. Cut the dough into 8 triangles. Separate the triangles so they have some space between each other. See picture in post. Freeze for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Use a pastry brush and brush the heavy cream on top of the scones. Sprinkle sugar on top.2 tablespoon Heavy cream, White granulated sugar
- Bake for 25-28 minutes. To prevent too much browning on the bottom, place an empty cookie sheet on the bottom rack of the oven. The scones are finished baking when the edges are golden brown. Let them cool for 15 minutes on the cookie sheet before preparing the glaze.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Glaze
- In a small bowl, use a hand mixer and beat the cream cheese on medium-high for 1 minute. There should be no chunks of cream cheese. Add in the powdered sugar and beat on high for 1-2 minutes until everything is combined and smooth.2 oz Cream cheese, ⅓ cup Powdered sugar
- Add in the milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Mix on medium until everything is smooth and combined.¾ teaspoon Ground cinnamon, 2 tablespoon Milk, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Use a spoon to top the scones with the glaze.