These heart shaped brownies are perfect for Valentine's Day! They are super fudgy brownies with tons of chocolate chips. These brownies are topped with a chocolate ganache frosting with a homemade salted caramel. They are a big crowd pleaser!
How To Make Fudgy Brownies
These brownies are the FUDGIEST brownies! They are super rich and have cocoa powder and 3 different types of chocolate chips.
- Cold eggs- Use cold eggs and egg yolks to get a fudgier texture.
- Whip up eggs and sugar- Whip these up using a mixer with a whisk attachment. This will result in a super light and fluffy eggs. This is what gives the brownies the crinkle top!
- Add in butter, oil, and vanilla- Make sure the melted butter is slightly cooled before adding into the eggs.
- Fold in dry ingredients- Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in the dry ingredients. Be gentle so you don't knock out any air.
- Fold in chocolate chips- Using semi sweet, milk, and mini chocolate chips makes them super rich and chocolaty. Use all 3 types!
- Pour- Pour batter into a 9X13 inch pan that is sprayed with baking non-stick spray. Make sure the pan is a lighter color like silver to avoid the brownies over baking on the edges.
Bake these brownies for 50 minutes. The middle should be slightly under done, this what will give you the gooey and fudgy texture. Make sure the brownies are completely cool before cutting into them.
Which Cookie Cutter To Use
I use these heart cookie cutters from William Sonoma. They are sturdy and come in many sizes! You can use any shape you want, I just made them with Valentine's Day in mind.
Place the brownies onto a cutting board, then cut out the heart shapes. I used a 3 inch cookie cutter.
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
This is honestly the easiest and richest frosting! It is just heavy cream and chocolate chips!
Make the chocolate ganache by pouring the hot cream over the chocolate chips. Then, let it sit before gently stirring.
Once it is smooth and silky, place the bowl in the fridge.
Let it sit for 45 minutes- 1 hour. Make sure to stir every 10 minutes so it all chills at the same rate.
It should be a thick pudding-like texture and feel like frosting.
Spread the frosting on top of the heart shaped brownies. I used a spoon to spread it on. I tried spreading the frosting on the brownies before cutting them into hearts. However, the frosting got smudged that way.
Homemade Salted Caramel
Now, you can use store bought salted caramel. This salted caramel is WAY BETTER than store bought. A quote from my mother " I could just eat this with a spoon"
My secret is vanilla and sea salt! I also add extra butter! It is good stuff. This recipe is for a small batch of caramel since you only need a little for this recipe.
Start by melting the sugar in a saucepan using a metal whisk. Melt until all of the sugar crystals are melted. Then, let it sit until it turns an amber color.
This takes about 30 seconds. It doesn't take long, so watch it intently!
Next, take it off the heat and add in the butter. Add it in half at a time, so it can melt thoroughly.
Make sure the butter and heavy cream are room temperature. Cold butter and cream can seize up.
Let it cool completely before using it on the brownies.
How To Store The Brownies
Store these brownies at room temperature. These heart shaped brownies should be stored in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
Freezing The Brownies
You can definitely freeze these brownies. Cut the brownies into hearts, and then wrap tightly with cling wrap. Then, store in an air tight container. It will last up to 30 days in the freezer.
To thaw, leave on the counter for at least 2 hours before frosting.
Other Brownie Recipes To Try
Heart Shaped Brownies
- 2 ⅔ cups White granulated sugar
- 4 Large eggs cold
- 2 Egg yolks cold
- 10 tablespoon Unsalted butter melted
- ⅔ cup Oil canola or vegetable
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon Cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Milk chocolate chips
- ¼ cup Mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup Heavy cream
- ½ cup White granulated sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoon Unsalted butter room temperature and cubed
- ¼ cup Heavy cream room temperature
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 9X13 inch pan with baking non-stick spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper. Spray again.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside. Using a mixer, combine sugar, eggs, and egg yolks. Turn to high and beat for 5 minutes. The eggs will become very light in color and fluffy.
- While the eggs are mixing, melt the butter in the microwave. It will cool slightly as the eggs mix. Once the eggs are done mixing, add in melted butter, oil and vanilla. Mix until combined on low. Take off mixer.
- Add in half of the dry ingredients. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the flour. Once slightly mixed in, add the rest of the dry ingredients. Keep folding until all combined. Be gentle so you don't knock out the air. Mix in all of the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes. The edges should be set and the middle slightly under done. If you shake the brownies it shouldn't jiggle. Set brownies on cooling rack to cool completely. They will cook more in the pan as it cools.
- Pour sugar into sauce pan and heat over medium heat. Use a whisk to mix the sugar. It will clump up at first, then it will melt. Keep stirring until every sugar crystal is melted.
- Let it sit for 30 seconds- 1 minute. It should turn an amber color. Pull off heat immediately. Add in half of the butter at a time. Mix until butter is melted before adding more. It will bubble as it melts. Repeat with the heavy cream by adding half at a time.
- Add in vanilla and salt. Pour caramel into a glass container. Let it cool completely.
- Pour chocolate chips into a bowl. Heat heavy cream in a sauce pan over medium-low heat. Heat until hot and steaming. Pour over chocolate chips. Let it sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Stir with a rubber spatula until smooth.
- Place chocolate in the fridge for 45 minutes - 1 hour. Stir every 10-15 minutes. The consistency should be like pudding and be thick like frosting.
- Place brownies on a cutting board. Cut into heart shapes. Use a 2-3 inch heart cookie cutter. Use a spoon to frost the cupcakes. Drizzle salted caramel on top. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt.