This hot chocolate cheesecake tastes just like a mug of hot cocoa. It has a graham cracker crust, hot chocolate mix and chocolate ganache mixed into the cheesecake. This cheesecake is topped with chocolate and marshmallows to create the ultimate hot chocolate cheesecake.
How To Make The Graham Cracker Crust
I was debating to do an Oreo crust or graham cracker crust. The graham cracker crust helps to level out all the sweetness for the cheesecake. It goes perfectly!
To make it, first you need to blend the graham crackers into fine crumbs. Use a food processor or blender to blend the crackers.
Next, mix the brown sugar and melted butter with the graham cracker crumbs. For best results, use a fork to mix it together. Then, pour into the pan.
Use your hands and press the crumbs halfway up the sides of the pan and across the bottom. Then, use a measuring cup to compact the crust firmly.
Next, bake the crust! Baking the crust first helps to prevent a soggy crust.
How To Prevent The Cheesecake From Sticking To The Pan.
First, you are going to need a high quality spring form pan. A cheap pan won’t be able to hold the weight of this cheesecake.
Then, use a baking non-stick spray and spray the pan well. Place a 9 inch parchment circle on the bottom of the pan. Spray again.
This method works for me every time. After the cheesecake chills, you will be able to pop off the pan easily and remove the parchment paper.
Steps To Make Hot Cocoa Cheesecake
- Room temperature ingredients– Pull out all of the dairy ingredients 2 hours before baking. Room temperature cream cheese is easier to blend until smooth.
- Sift the hot chocolate mix– My favorite hot chocolate mix has the little marshmallows in it. However, we don’t need them in this cheesecake! Use a sifter to separate the marshmallows.
- Blend cream cheese, sugar, and hot chocolate mix– First, blend the cream cheese using a mixer until smooth. Then, add in the sugar and hot chocolate mix. You will need to scrape the bowl to make sure it is completely mixed together.
- Make chocolate ganache– Make the chocolate ganache by melting chocolate chips with hot heavy cream. Then, pour it into the bowl. It will create a creamy chocolate cheesecake.
- Add in the eggs– The eggs needs to be added one at a time but on low. The key to prevent a cracked cheesecake is to not add too much air into the eggs.
Once all blended, pour into the cheesecake and prepare a water bath.
Water Bath Options
In the recipe, I mention 2 different types of water bath options. Both do work, but the first option is the best.
The best option, is place the spring form pan into a 10 inch cake pan. Then, place in a roasting pan and pour the boiling water halfway up. This method allows the cheesecake to be in the moisture, but there is no chance any water will get into the crust.
The second option is to wrap the spring form pan twice tightly with foil. Then, place the pan into the roasting pan. The problem with this method, is there can be water that leaks through the foil.
Chilling The Cheesecake
Once the cheesecake is done baking, it will first need to cool slowly in the oven. Turn off the oven and prop open the oven door. Then, let it sit in the oven for 30 minutes.
This allows the cheesecake to very slowly cool down. This is important because a drastic change in temperature can cause the cheesecake to crack.
Then, once it is cooled completely, chill in the fridge for at least 6 hours. I prefer overnight.
This is important because the cheesecake changes textures as it chills. It will become more dense and the flavor marinates. Chilling the cheesecake is crucial!
Decorating The Cheesecake
After the cheesecake has chilled, you can decorate it by starting with a chocolate ganache.
Pour 3/4 of the chocolate ganache on the top of the cheesecake. Use an icing spatula to press the chocolate over the sides of the cheesecake to create the drips.
The rest of the chocolate ganache is to drizzle on top of the marshmallows and whipped cream.
Let the cheesecake chill in the fridge for only 3 minutes to slightly harden the chocolate. It will be a lot easier to pipe the whipped cream on top.
Next, pipe the whipped cream on top of the cheesecake. Decorate with the mini marshmallows and mini chocolate chips. Then, drizzle the chocolate on top.
If you aren’t serving the cheesecake immediately, then wait to top the cheesecake with the crushed candy canes.
I have found candy canes slightly melt when it is in the fridge.
How To Store The Cheesecake
The cheesecake is best stored in a cake carrier in the fridge. You can also slice the cheesecake into slices and store in an air tight container.
Either way, the cheesecake will be good about 5 days in the fridge.
Freezing The Cheesecake
If you want to make the cheesecake ahead of time, you can store the undecorated cheesecake in the freezer. Wrap the cheesecake first in cling wrap and then in foil.
It will last up to 30 days in the freezer.
To thaw, place the cheesecake in the fridge for 24-48 hours before decorating. This will allow it to slowly thaw in the fridge.
Other Cheesecake Recipes To Try
- Chocolate Bar Cheesecake
- Cinnamon Pecan Pie Cheesecake
- Triple Chocolate Cheesecake
- Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake
Hot Chocolate Cheesecake
Graham Cracker Crust
- 2 1/2 cups Graham cracker crusts fine crumbs
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- 7 TBSP Unsalted butter melted
Hot Chocolate Cheesecake
- 24 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 3/4 cup White granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Hot chocolate mix about 2 packets no marshmallows
- 1/2 cup Sour cream room temperature
- 1/2 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Heavy cream
- 2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 3 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 2 TBSP Powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- Mini marshmallows for decoration
- Mini chocolate chips for decoration
- Crushed candy canes for decoration
Graham Cracker Crust
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a springform pan with a baking non-stick pan. Place a 9 inch parchment circle on the bottom and spray again.
- Mix the graham cracker crumbs (use a food processor to make them super fine), melted butter, and brown sugar. Pour crumbs into the pan. Press the crumbs halfway up the sides of the pan. Compact the crust with a back of a measuring cup.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Then, allow to cool.
Hot Chocolate Cheesecake
- If you have a hot chocolate mix with marshmallows use a mesh sifter to separate the marshmallows
- Using a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese for 1 minute on medium-high. Scrape the bowl. Add in sugar and hot chocolate mix. Beat for 1 minute. Scrape the bowl and mix again until all combined.
- In a small bowl, pour in chocolate chips. Heat heavy cream in a sauce pan over medium-low heat. Heat until hot and steaming. Pour hot cream over chocolate chips. Let it sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Then, stir until smooth.
- Add in sour cream, chocolate ganache, and vanilla. Mix on medium until smooth and combined. Add in eggs on low one at a time. Halfway through mixing the eggs, scrape the bowl.
- Pour cheesecake batter into spring form pan.
- Here are 2 water bath techniques to use. Both use a large roasting pan.1. Place spring form pan in a 10 inch cake pan. Place cake pan in roasting pan. Pour boiling water into the roasting pan about half way up. This method prevents any water from getting into the crust.2. Wrap spring form pan in aluminum foil twice. Place spring form pan in roasting pan. Pour boiling water into the roasting pan about halfway up.
- Bake for 60-80 minutes. The cheesecake is done baking when the edges are set and the middle has a slight jiggle. Turn off oven, crack open the door, and let the cheesecake sit for 30 minutes in the oven. This will allow to slowly cool down.
- Transfer cheesecake to a cooling rack. Allow it to cool completely. Wrap the pan in foil, and chill in the fridge. Chill for 6 hours or overnight.
- Take cheesecake out of the fridge, take off pan and parchment circle. Pour chocolate chips in a small bowl. Heat heavy cream in a sauce pan over medium-low heat. Heat until hot and steaming. Pour hot cream over chocolate chips. Let it sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Stir the chocolate until smooth and silky. Separate 1/4 of chocolate for the drizzle. Pour the rest of the chocolate over the cheesecake. Use an offset icing spatula and push the chocolate to the edge of the cheesecake for it to drip down the sides. Spread until smooth.
- Chill the cheesecake for 3 minutes for the chocolate to set.
- Place metal bowl and whisk attachments in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Pour heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla in cold bowl. Use a mixer to beat the cream on high until stiff peaks form.
- Pipe whipped cream on top of the cheesecake. I used Wilton 1M tip. Top with mini marshmallows, mini chocolate chips, and crushed candy canes. Then, drizzle chocolate on top. Store in the fridge.