These jumbo blueberry muffins are bursting with fresh blueberries and have a crunchy sugar topping. They are also super moist with extra sour cream and make the most perfect bakery style muffin. Also, these muffins are so easy. You can have fresh homemade blueberry muffins super quick!
Bakery Style Jumbo Blueberry Muffins
I can’t think of anything better than a bakery style muffin. I’m talking about a moist large muffin with a big top that is picture perfect. That is exactly what these jumbo blueberry muffins are.
The trick to achieving that is making sure there is enough moisture. These muffins are made with sour cream and have that melt in your mouth texture that all muffins should have!
The topping for these muffins is a crunchy sugar topping. The sugar bakes in the oven to create crisp sugar edges. It also adds a layer of sweetness that pairs so nicely with the tart blueberries.
Also, these jumbo blueberry muffins are super easy to make. You can make them in about 10-15 minutes and you can have a warm muffin in no time!
This blog receives a commission for using Amazon products for the food recipes that I shared with you in my posts. Although I receive a commission for using and linking their products, they are extremely good for my food recipes and all my opinions and suggestions are unbiased.
How To Make Easy Jumbo Blueberry Muffins
First, start with a jumbo muffin tin. You will need one that fits 6 muffins, there isn’t enough batter to make 8 muffins. Don’t worry, they make huge muffins!
Then, line the muffin tin with jumbo muffin liners.
Next, wash and dry your fresh blueberries. Wet blueberries are more likely to fall to the bottom of the muffins. Pull out 1/2 cup of the blueberries and mash them with a fork or potato masher.
Then, sift your dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Next, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the sour cream, vanilla, and eggs to the batter. Make sure you scrape the bowl to ensure all the sugar is mixed in.
After that, add the dry ingredients and the milk alternating between them. The batter should be light and thick.
Now, pull the batter off of the mixer and mix in the mashed blueberries. The point of the mashed blueberries is to make sure there is blueberry flavor in every bite.
Next, gently fold in the blueberries using a rubber spatula. The blueberries can easily break and bleed into the batter, so go gently.
Can These Bakery Style Muffins Be Gluten Free?
Yes! You can have bakery style muffins and still be gluten free. Use this 1:1 ratio gluten free flour and sub it for 2 cups of all-purpose flour.
How To Bake The Jumbo Blueberry Muffins
The easiest (and mess free!) way to fill the muffin tin is to use an ice cream scoop. It will take 1 1/2 scoops to fill it up 3/4 full. Don’t fill it up all the way, otherwise it will spill over.
Then, sprinkle white granulated sugar over the tops of the muffin batter. It should be a solid, but light, layer. There should be enough sugar to create the nice crunchy sugar topping.
Now bake! Bake it for 28-30 minutes. The muffins are done baking when the the edges are golden brown. If you insert a toothpick it should come out clean.
Let the muffins cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Fresh Blueberries vs Frozen Blueberries
Using fresh blueberries is what makes these muffins so special. Fresh blueberries offer a great level of tartness that pairs well inside the whole muffin.
Frozen blueberries are not the same. Frozen blueberries are more likely to bleed into the batter and won’t taste the same in terms of tartness to sweetness.
Fresh blueberries are seriously the way to go. It doesn’t matter if you choose regular or organic blueberries. In this recipe I did use organic, but only because they were on sale.
How To Store The Jumbo Blueberry Muffins
To store the muffins, you can keep them at room temperature or in the fridge. Make sure they are well covered either way.
At room temperature they will last 3-5 days. If they are in the fridge, they will last 5-7 days.
Can These Muffins Be Frozen?
You can absolutely freeze these jumbo blueberry muffins. Wrap them up tightly with cling wrap, then place them in Tupperware or aluminum foil.
To thaw the muffins, leave them out on a counter until room temperature. Then, you can microwave it for 15-30 seconds to warm it.
Can I Use A 12 Cup Muffin Tin?
Yes you can. I prefer the jumbo pan because large bakery style muffins are amazing. However, you can use a 12 cup muffin tin.
Fill the tin 2/3 of the way and bake for 18-20 minutes. They should still be golden brown on top.
Other Recipes To Try
Jumbo Blueberry Muffins
- Mixer or hand mixer
- Jumbo muffin pan
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup White granulated sugar
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1/4 cup Sour cream room temperature
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 cup Milk room temperature
- 2 cups Blueberries washed and dried
- 3 tsp White granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line jumbo muffin pan with muffin liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream together the butter and white sugar on medium for 1-2 minutes. The butter should be light and fluffy
- Add in vanilla and sour cream. Mix until combined. Add the eggs one at a time on low. Scrape the bowl.
- Slowly add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and 1/2 of the milk. Mix until flour is incorporated. Add the next 1/3 of the dry ingredients and the rest of the milk. Then, add the rest of the dry ingredients. Scrape the bowl.
- Mash 1/2 cup of the blueberries with a fork or potato masher. Add the mashed blueberries to the batter.
- Take off the mixer, and gently fold the blueberries to the batter.
- Use a large ice cream scoop to fill the muffin liners 3/4 full. Sprinkle the white sugar on top of muffins.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes. The muffins are finished baking when they have golden brown edges and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let sit in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely. Store covered at room temperature or in fridge.