These sweet cream pancakes are super fluffy easy to make pancakes. These pancakes are baked with heavy cream instead of just milk or buttermilk. The results are these incredibly fluffy and soft pancakes. Once you try it, you are going to want to make them every weekend.
Sweet cream pancakes are the idea of making a more rich and gourmet pancake batter. I had a version of this staying at my honeymoon, and I realized they used heavy cream in their pancake batter!
The pancakes are so fluffy they basically melt in your mouth. When I made them for my husband, he told me that they were the only pancakes he wanted now.
You have to try make them for your brunch or Saturday morning! They are honestly the perfect pancake!
For more breakfast recipes, try Double Chocolate Banana Bread, Walnut Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, and Moist Triple Chocolate Muffins.
Why This Recipe Works
- Restaurant quality pancakes- These pancakes just like a high quality pancakes!
- Easy to make- The process of making these fluffy pancakes is just like most pancake recipes. It can be made using a whisk and two bowls!
- Kid approved- These pancakes were tested by my toddler and he loved them. Also, kids can help make these!
- My favorite way to serve these delicious pancakes are with melted butter and syrup.
What Are Sweet Cream Pancakes?
Originally the restaurant Black Bear Diner, created the sweet cream pancakes. They use heavy cream to make their pancakes incredibly rich and gourmet.
They are similar to buttermilk pancakes or traditional pancakes, but have a more fluffy texture.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Baking powder + Baking soda- Both is used to give the pancakes a better rise.
- Heavy cream- Heavy cream or heavy whipping cream is the star of this recipe. You can use half and half for a less thick batter.
- Milk- A little bit of milk will help the batters thickness.
- Eggs- The large eggs can be cold.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these heavy cream pancakes. For this recipe, you can use a pancake griddle heated to 350F or a large frying pan heated to medium high heat.
Don't use an electric mixer or stand mixer because it can be easily over mixed. It just needs a whisk!
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients. In a large bowl, sift the all-purpose flour to prevent flour lumps. Then, add in baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
STEP 2: Mix the wet ingredients. In a medium bowl, use a whisk to stir the sugar, heavy cream, milk, eggs, and vanilla extract.
STEP 3: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture. Whisk until just combined.
STEP 4: Rest the batter. Let the batter sit for 10 minutes. This will activate the leavening agents.
STEP 5: Cook the pancakes. Use a little butter on the griddle or frying pan. Use a scoop to scoop the pancakes into large pancakes. Wait for the little bubbles on the batter to disappear before flipping.
They should be golden brown.
STEP 6: Serve. Serve the pancakes hot with butter and real maple syrup.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup into the flour bag, it will compact the flour. Compacted flour can make the batter too thick.
- If you batter is too thick, add a splash more heavy cream. If the batter is too thin, add 1-2 Tablespoons extra of flour.
- To avoid over mixing the batter, use 2 bowls. If you do everything in one bowl, you can over mix the batter.
You can make bacon or sausage to go with these. You can also make whipped cream, fresh fruit, and chocolate chips with these pancakes. Of course you will need a cup of coffee!
This means you over mixed the batter. When mixing the batter, it is good to have some lumps.
For best results, you use half all-purpose flour and half wheat flour.
Storing and Freezing
Store leftover pancakes in the fridge in an airtight container up to 5 days. Heat the pancakes in the fridge or even the air fryer.
Freeze the leftover sweet cream pancakes in an airtight container or a ziplock bag for up to 30 days.
Thaw for 2 hours and reheat in the microwave.
Other Breakfast Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW if you loved this recipe! Make sure to tag me on Instagram @stephaniesweettreats. To get more ideas follow me on Pinterest.
Sweet Cream Pancakes
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoon White granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups Heavy cream
- ½ cup Milk any kind
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon Unsalted butter to melt on the griddle
- In a large bowl, sift the flour. Add in baking powder, baking soda, and salt.2 cups All-purpose flour, 2 teaspoon Baking powder, 1 teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Salt
- In a separate bowl, whisk the sugar, heavy cream, milk, eggs, and vanilla.2 tablespoon White granulated sugar, 1 ½ cups Heavy cream, ½ cup Milk, 2 Large eggs, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Whisk until just combined. Let it sit for 10 minutes. This lets the leavening agent rise.
- Heat a griddle or a large frying pan to 350°F or medium heat. Right before adding the pancake batter, melt 1 Tablespoon of butter on the griddle.2 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- Use a ½ cup of measuring cup to create large pancakes. Let them sit for 3-4 minutes until the bubbles disappear and the bottom of the pancakes are golden. Flip the pancakes. Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- For the next batch, melt more butter before adding pancake batter. Serve warm with butter and syrup.
Hi is the batter suppose to be thicker than regular pancake batter?
Stephanie Rutherford says
It is a little thicker. If too thick, add more heavy cream.
Wow my husband really loved these pancakes! I hadn’t found a light and fluffy and slightly sweet recipe that turned out this good until today! Thank you Stephanie❤️
These pancakes are super quick and easy, and SO delicious!