This cinnamon chocolate chip banana bread is very easy to make and full of so much flavor! This banana bread is a no mixer, one bowl recipe full of mashed bananas, cinnamon, and mini chocolate chips. The pan is coated in cinnamon sugar, so the crust is full of flavor too!
This cinnamon chocolate chip banana bread is my favorite banana bread recipe! It is incredibly easy to make and can be made in one bowl. In fact, my three year old helped me make this banana bread!
The best part of this recipe, is the pan is coated in cinnamon sugar and there is extra cinnamon sugar on top. This allows all of the banana bread is loaded with flavor.
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy to make- All you need is a bowl and a whisk. You don't need a mixer and you only need 1 bowl!
- Kid friendly- This banana bread is perfect to make for your kids.
- Chocolate chips- The banana bread is full of mini chocolate chips.
- Cinnamon banana bread- The banana bread is full of cinnamon and coated on the outside.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- The butter needs to be melted and room temperature before using.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Sour cream- Use full fat sour cream. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Overripe bananas- The bananas should be brown spotted and mashed. The mashed bananas should equal to 1 cup. I used 3 medium ripe bananas.
- Mini chocolate chips- Mini chocolate chips are best for little pockets of chocolate chips. However, you can use regular semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. I don't recommend using milk chocolate chips because it will be too sweet.
- Cinnamon sugar- This is a combination of white sugar and cinnamon, mix this in a small bowl together.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake this banana bread. This recipe you need a large bowl, a whisk, and a rubber spatula. You also need a 9X5-inch loaf pan. You don't need a stand mixer or electric mixer.
STEP 1: Mash the bananas. Mash the brown bananas on a plate using either forks or potato masher.
STEP 2: Mix the wet ingredients. Use a large bowl, mix the melted butter, brown sugar, eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract, and mashed bananas. It should be pale in color.
STEP 3: Add the dry ingredients. Next, add the all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon to the banana mixture. Whisk this together until just combined.
Then, add in the mini chocolate chips and stir.
STEP 4: Pour batter. First, spray a 9X5-inch pan with baking spray and pour in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Move it around the pan, so it is completely coated and pour out the extra cinnamon in a bowl.
Pour the batter into the pan. Then, top with extra cinnamon sugar and mini chocolate chips.
STEP 5: Bake. Bake for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs.
Let it cool for 10 minutes in the hot pan, then transfer to a cooling rack (wire rack).
STEP 6: Cut. Cool the banana bread completely before cutting into.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour. Compacted flour can cause the bread to be dry.
- Line the bottom of the pan and 2 sides with parchment paper. So, when you need to take the bread out, you can grab the 2 sides of parchment paper and take it out easily.
- Make sure the butter is cooled before using. If the butter is hot, it will affect the texture.
- Once you add the flour in, make sure to not to over mix. Otherwise the banana bread won't be as soft.
Yes you can! It will make 24 banana bread muffins. Bake for 16-18 minutes until baked.
Yes you can! You can use an 8X4 inch loaf pan, fill it ¾ths the way. The rest of the batter you can make into muffins!
Yes you can! Use plain full fat yogurt.
Storing and Freezing
Store the cinnamon chocolate chip banana bread in an airtight container at room temperature. Store up to 5 days.
Freeze the banana bread in individual slices by wrapping in plastic wrap. Freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Banana Recipes To Try
Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- ½ cup Butter melted and cooled
- ¾ cup Brown sugar packed light brown sugar
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- ¼ cup Sour Cream room temperature
- 3 Overripe bananas mashed. Equal to 1 cup.
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Mini chocolate chips plus more to top the loaf.
- In a small bowl mix the sugar and cinnamon together.¼ cup White granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9X5-inch loaf pan with non-stick baking spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides with parchment paper. Spray again. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar in the pan. Shake the pan until it is coated. Pour the excess of cinnamon sugar into a bowl to use on top.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside. Mash bananas on a plate. Use a fork or a potato masher to mash them. Melt the butter in the microwave, let it cool to room temperature before using.2 cups All-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Salt, 1 ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon, 3 Overripe bananas, ½ cup Butter
- In a separate large bowl, mix the melted butter, brown sugar, sour cream, mashed bananas, vanilla, and eggs. Use a whisk to mix together.¾ cup Brown sugar, 2 Large eggs, ¼ cup Sour Cream, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet. Whisk until just combined. Pour in the mini chocolate chips and mix until combined.¾ cup Mini chocolate chips
- Pour the batter into the pan. Top with the extra cinnamon sugar and extra mini chocolate chips.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes in the hot pan. Then, transfer the loaf to a cooling rack. Let it cool completely before cutting into it.