These Nutella banana muffins are easy to make! They are soft and fluffy cinnamon banana muffins full of Nutella swirled in the middle and on top of the muffins. This is perfect combination of both banana and Nutella.
These Nutella banana muffins are UNREAL. They are seriously so yummy, I could eat 5 in one sitting. Not only are the muffins made without a mixer, but they are really easy to make.
My favorite part about these muffins are the Nutella swirls. The Nutella gets pooled on top of the batter. Then, as it bakes, the muffin batter rises and it swirls beautifully.
Why This Recipe Works
- Banana bread muffins- I took the recipe from my Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Banana Bread and turned them into muffins! Just minus the mini chocolate chips.
- Easy to make- This is a no mixer recipe and kids can help make it!
- Nutella muffins- The Nutella gets melted and swirled in the middle of the muffins and on top.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- The butter is melted and cooled to room temperature. If the butter is too hot, it will affect the texture.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Sour cream- Use full fat sour cream. Pull the sour cream out 2 hours before baking.
- Ripe bananas- The bananas should be lightly brown spotted for the best texture.
- Nutella- You can use store brand or actual Nutella.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these moist banana muffins. This recipe doesn't need an electric mixer. Just a bowl and a whisk! It does need 12-cup muffin tin with muffin liners. Line the pan with 6 liners and separate them throughout the 12 holes.
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients. First, in a medium bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
STEP 2: Mix the wet ingredients. In a large bowl, mix the mashed bananas, brown sugar, melted butter, eggs, sour cream, and vanilla extract.
STEP 3: Add in the flour mixture. Use a whisk to whisk in the flour mixture.
STEP 4: Scoop the batter. Use a cookie scoop to scoop the batter into the liners, it will be half full. Use 1 teaspoon to spoon melted Nutella on top. Then, use a butter knife to spread the Nutella.
Next, scoop another dollop of batter on top. It should be full. Spoon another teaspoon of Nutella and swirl it on top.
STEP 5: Bake. First, bake for 5 minutes at 425F. Then, bake for 10-12 minutes at 375F. This helps to encourage the rise.
Cool the muffins on the cooling rack.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup into the flour, it will compact it. Compacted flour will dry out the muffins.
- The bananas should be spotted for best results. Although to be honest, if they are a little more yellow, they should still work.
- Bake 6 muffins at a time, to get a bigger rise. A bigger rise also gives them a better texture.
Yes you can! It will make 6 jumbo muffins. Bake for 10 minutes at 425F. Then, 20-25 minutes at 375F.
This has to do with over baking or over measuring the flour. If your oven runs hot, check the muffins early.
Yes you can!
Storing and Freezing
Store these Nutella banana muffins in an airtight container at room temperature. Store up to 5 days.
Freeze these muffins in an airtight container. Freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Muffin Recipes To Try
Nutella Banana Muffins
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- ½ cup Unsalted butter melted and cooled
- ¾ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- ¼ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 3 Ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffins liners. Line it with 6 liners and spread it through the 12 holes. This gives the muffins a much bigger rise.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour. Add the baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside. Heat the butter in the microwave, let it sit for 10-15 minutes until cooled to room temperature.2 cups All-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Salt, 1 ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon, ½ cup Unsalted butter
- In a large bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a potato masher or a fork. Mash the bananas well. Add the melted butter, brown sugar, eggs, sour cream, and vanilla. Use a whisk to whisk until smooth and combined.¾ cup Brown sugar, 2 Large eggs, ¼ cup Sour cream, 3 Ripe bananas, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Melt the Nutella in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds until melted.⅔ cup Nutella
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop 1 scoop of batter into the 6 muffins liners. Spoon 1 teaspoon of Nutella on top of the batter. Use a butter knife to lightly swirl it together. Add another scoop of batter on top, the muffin liner will be full. Add another teaspoon of Nutella and swirl it on top.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F Turn the oven down to 375°F. Bake for another 10-12 minutes. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins in the hot pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.