This double chocolate banana bread is very easy to make and full of chocolate flavor! It is a decadent banana bread full of chocolate chips and chocolate. It tastes like a chocolate cake with banana flavor, it is that moist and soft!
This double chocolate banana bread recipe is SO good. This is a great recipe to use when you have extra ripe bananas and are a chocolate lover. This is a no mixer recipe, so it is easy to make!
Why This Double Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe Works
- Easy to make- This banana bread recipe is very easy to make. It can go in the oven in 10 minutes.
- Double chocolate- Not only is there cocoa powder and chocolate chips in the batter, it is topped with extra chocolate chips on top too.
- Great flavor- It taste like a chocolate cake with bananas. What is not too love!
Step By Step Recipe Video
Ingredient Notes for Chocolate Banana Bread
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- You can use natural cocoa powder or dutch process cocoa powder.
- Unsalted butter- The butter is melted and needs to be slightly cooled before using.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Overripe bananas- The best bananas to use are lightly browned spotted. Those will be sweetened perfectly for this banana bread.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Sour cream- Use full fat sour cream. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Chocolate chips- You can use semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. Also, the mini chocolate chips make it extra chocolatey! I don't recommend milk chocolate chip because it will make this too sweet.
- Dairy free- You can use your favorite dairy free options for this recipe!
- Gluten free- I haven't tested this gluten free. Let me know if you do.
- Brown sugar- You can use dark brown sugar
- Sour cream- You can use greek yogurt.
Step By Step Instructions- Banana Bread Batter
Here is how to make and bake this chocolate banana bread.
STEP 1: Mix dry ingredients. Use a sifter to sift the all-purpose flour in a large bowl. Add in baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt.
STEP 2: Mash the bananas. The best way to mash the bananas is to place the bananas on a plate and use a potato masher or a fork.
STEP 3: Mix the wet ingredients together. Use a separate bowl and use a whisk to mix the melted butter, brown sugar, mashed bananas, vanilla extract, sour cream, and eggs.
STEP 4: Add the dry ingredients. Next, pour the flour mixture into butter mixture. Use a rubber spatula to fold it in.
Next, fold the chocolate chips in.
STEP 5: Pour batter. Use a 9X5 inch loaf pan and pour the batter in. It should fill the pan ¾ths full.
Before the banana bread goes into the oven, top with extra chocolate chips. It needs plenty of chocolate chips on top!
STEP 6: Bake the banana bread. Bake the banana bread for 50-60 minutes.
Then, cool the banana bread on a cooling rack or wire rack before cutting into it.
How To Cut The Banana Bread
First, the double chocolate chip banana bread needs to cool completely before cutting into it. If it is warm, it will fall apart.
Sometimes if the bread is just a little too warm, I will stick it in the freezer for 15 minutes.
Next, use a serrated knife to cut the bread. This will help you give the best cuts.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure four is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup into the flour it will become compact. This leads to a dry banana bread.
- Make sure the butter is cooled before using. If the butter is hot, it will affect the texture.
- Once you add the flour in, make sure to not to over mix. Otherwise the banana bread won't be as soft.
- To easily remove the moist banana bread from the pan, make sure to spray the pan with baking non stick spray. Then, use parchment paper on the bottom and 2 sides of the pan. This will let you to easily remove the banana bread when it is ready.
- Before taking the bread out of the pan, let it sit in the pan for 10 minutes. This lets it cool slowly.
Yes you can make banana muffins! Make sure to use cupcake liners and bake for 18-20 minutes.
Yes you can! You can use an 8X4 inch loaf pan, fill it ¾ths the way. The rest of the batter you can make into muffins!
Yes you can! Use plain full fat yogurt.
- You can add different type of mix in's into the batter. You can do peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, or nuts!
- You also add a swirl of melted peanut butter on top of the batter for a peanut butter chocolate banana bread.
- Parchment paper: I use premade sheets of parchment paper vs the roll of parchment paper. It makes baking a lot easier!
- Baking spray: I use the nonstick spray that has flour in it.
- Offset spatula: I use this to easily spread the frosting or fillings.
- 9X5-inch loaf pan- Here is the pan I use.
Storing and Freezing
Store this double chocolate banana bread in an airtight container. Store at room temperature up to 5 days.
My favorite way to eat this is to heat in the microwave for 10 seconds until warm and the chocolate chips are melty.
Freeze the banana bread by wrapping in plastic wrap. Freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating. It will thaw faster if you freeze individual slices.
Other Banana Recipes To Try
More Banana Recipes To Try
- Peanut butter banana muffins
- Banana snack cake
- Nutella banana muffins
- Banana pudding cookies
- Banana blueberry muffins
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Unsalted butter melted
- ¾ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- 3 Large ripe bananas mashed
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips plus a little extra to go on top of batter.
- ¼ cup Mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a 9X5 loaf with non stick baking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper to make it easier to get out of the pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, use a fork or potato masher to mash the 3 ripe bananas.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter and brown sugar until a thick paste forms. Add in mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla. Mix together until combined.
- Add in eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly. Add in all of the dry ingredients and mix until all combined. The batter will be slightly lumpy because of the bananas. Add all of the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Fill the pan ¾ths of the way. If you have extra batter you can put it in a muffin pan. Sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top of batter.
- Bake the banana bread for 50-60 minutes. The banana bread is finished baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the banana bread sit for 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a cooling rack. Let the banana bread cool completely before serving. Store banana bread covered at room temperature.