Double chocolate banana bread- This easy banana bread is very moist and has sour cream. The double chocolate banana bread is the BEST because it has a strong chocolate flavor and is loaded with chocolate chips.
What Makes This The BEST Double Chocolate Banana Bread
This is seriously the BEST double chocolate banana bread. It is full of chocolate chips and is probably the most moist banana bread I have ever had.
This banana bread doesn’t require a mixer, it’s just that easy to make! All you will need is 2 bowls and a whisk to make this batter.
Why is this banana bread super moist? It is made with melted butter, brown sugar, mashed bananas and sour cream. All of those ingredients together create a moist banana bread that has a very tender crumb.
The king of all of the ingredients is the sour cream. The fat content in the sour cream weakens the protein in the gluten from the flour which makes this banana bread very moist.
This double chocolate banana bread tastes almost like regular banana flavored chocolate cake, but you get to eat it for breakfast!
This blog receives a commission for using Amazon products for the food recipes that I shared with you in my posts. Although I receive a commission for using and linking their products, they are extremely good for my food recipes and all my opinions and suggestions are unbiased.
Can This Double Chocolate Banana Bread Be Gluten Free?
This banana bread can be gluten free. Since there is only 1 cup of all-purpose flour, you will need 1:1 gluten free flour. Luckily, you won’t have to change anything else and will still get a moist banana bread.
How To Make The Banana Bread Batter
To make this banana bread, you won’t need to use a mixer. Actually, using a mixer will over mix the batter and will result in a more dense bread.
Start by spraying a 9X5 bread loaf pan with a non stick baking spray. To make it easier to get the bread out of the pan, I line it with parchment paper. There should be enough coming off of the sides of the pan so you can simply pull up on the paper and the banana bread will come right out.
Next, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Then, melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute. Let the butter cool down slightly, then add it in to a medium sized bowl.
Once the butter has cooled down slightly, add in the brown sugar and use a whisk to mix it until it is smooth. It should resemble a thick paste.
Next, add in the mashed bananas. To mash up the 3 very ripe bananas, use either a fork or a potato masher. There will still be small chunks, but most of it should be mashed up completely. Then, add in the vanilla and sour cream.
Then, add in the eggs one at a time and mix until just combined. Next, add in the dry ingredients and whisk together until smooth and chocolatey. It should have slight lumps from the bananas.
Add in both the mini chocolate chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips and use a rubber spatula to fold them in.
How To Bake The Double Chocolate Banana Bread
Once your batter is ready, pour it into the loaf pan. It should only fill up about 3/4ths of the way. This will give the double chocolate banana bread plenty of room to rise.
If you use an 8X4 loaf pan, and have a bit of extra batter left, you can pour it into a 12 cup muffin pan. To make banana bread muffins, use a cupcake liner and fill it up 3/4ths of the way. Bake the muffins for 16-20 minutes.
Before placing the loaf pan in the oven, generously sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top. Not only will the chocolate chips look beautiful baked on top, it will also add an extra layer of gooey chocolate to the crust. This is called double chocolate banana bread for a reason!
Next, bake the banana bread for 50-60 minutes. It is done baking when a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Let the banana bread sit in the pan for 10 minutes, then pull it out of the pan using the excess of parchment paper. Transfer the bread to a cooling rack.
How To Get Perfectly Clean Slices Of Banana Bread
Have you tried slicing into warm banana bread and its just a crumbly delicious mess? I have tons of experience with messy banana bread, but to get perfect slices just stick the banana bread in the freezer.
Once the banana bread is cooled completely on the cooling rack, place it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. It will be enough to chill it and firm it up a bit.
A cold banana bread will be firm and you will will able to slice into it without it falling apart.
Another tip is to wash the knife between each slice of double chocolate banana bread. The gooey chocolate will get all over the knife and if you don’t clean it then it will smear on to the next piece. To get a clean slice every time, clean off the knife!
How To Get Ripe Bananas Quickly
If you need banana bread STAT, but your bananas are still green, there are ways to get ripe bananas fairly quickly.
- The easiest way is to go to the grocery store and buy single bananas. There is usually single banana section and usually these banana have tons of brown spots.
- Place your bananas in a brown paper bag overnight. Trapping the bananas in a bag will also block the oxygen and the bananas will release a chemical called ethylene. That chemical is what causes the bananas to brown.
- Place your bananas on a cookie sheet and preheat the oven to 250F. Bake the banana for 15-20 minutes until the bananas are completely brown. Make sure they cool down completely before you mash them up. The bananas will be extra mushy, but that is okay.
How To Store Double Chocolate Banana Bread
I usually prefer to store my banana bread at room temperature. I will keep the banana bread (already sliced up) inside the loaf pan and cover it tightly with aluminum foil.
You can also store it in the fridge, place the cut up banana bread in a Tupperware. To warm up the banana bread you can heat it in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to get the chocolate melty again.
Other Breakfast Recipes To Try
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- 3 Large ripe bananas mashed
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup Sour cream room temperature
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips plus a little extra to go on top of batter.
- 1/4 cup Mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a 9X5 loaf with non stick baking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper to make it easier to get out of the pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, use a fork or potato masher to mash the 3 ripe bananas.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter and brown sugar until a thick paste forms. Add in mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla. Mix together until combined.
- Add in eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly. Add in all of the dry ingredients and mix until all combined. The batter will be slightly lumpy because of the bananas. Add all of the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Fill the pan 3/4ths of the way. If you have extra batter you can put it in a muffin pan. Sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top of batter.
- Bake the banana bread for 50-60 minutes. The banana bread is finished baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the banana bread sit for 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a cooling rack. Let the banana bread cool completely before serving. Store banana bread covered at room temperature.