These Nutter Butter bars are a chewy peanut butter cookie bars full of mini chocolate chips and chopped Nutter Butters. These bars are super easy to make and full of tons of peanut butter and chocolate. It is peanut butter heaven!
These amazing Nutter Butter bars are for the peanut butter lovers! The bars are peanut butter cookie dough full of chocolate chips and chopped Nutter Butter pieces. When the bars are fresh out of the oven, they are topped with even more Nutter Butters.
I am a huge fan of peanut butter, and I was so happy when I was recipe testing these and took the first bite. They are SO good!
Why This Recipe Works
- Peanut butter cookie bars- These peanut butter cookies are chewy, soft, and full of peanut butter flavor.
- Easy to make- This is a no chill recipe! You just make the cookie dough and bake!
- Nutter Butters- I LOVE nutter butters! The extra peanut butter flavor, put these bars over the edge!
- Chewy texture- These bars have the softest texture!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- Pull this out 2 hours before baking so the butter is softened.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Peanut butter- Use Jif or skippy peanut butter. I like to use creamy peanut butter, but you can use crunchy if you prefer. I don't recommend using natural peanut butter, because it will be too runny for this recipe.
- Egg- Pull this large egg out 2 hours before baking so it is room temperature.
- Chocolate chips- You semi-sweet chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, or mini chocolate chips. I don't recommend milk chocolate chips because it will be too sweet.
- Nutter Butter cookies- These peanut butter sandwich cookies can also be store brand. In fast it is what I used because they were out at my grocery store.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these cookie bars. This recipe uses a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer (electric mixer). It also uses an 8X8-inch baking dish.
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Use a food processor to lightly blend the cookies. They should be small and medium pieces.
STEP 2: Beat butter and sugars. In a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar on high speed for 2 minutes until creamy.
STEP 3: Add wet ingredients. Then, add in peanut butter and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Add the egg and mix in on medium speed. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
STEP 4: Add flour mixture. Add this in on low speed until just combined. Then, add in chocolate chips and chopped Nutter Butters.
STEP 5: Press cookie dough. Press the cookie dough into the square pan, making sure to press into the corners.
STEP 6: Bake. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges are golden. It is really easy to underbake these and have middle be gooey. Make sure to bake until the middle is set.
Top the bars immediately with more chopped Nutter Butters and chocolate chips. Cool the bars completely on a cooling rack before removing out of the pan.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour. Compacted flour can cause the cookies to be dry.
- The cookie bars should be slightly underdone, because they will continue to cook as they cool. This helps to make sure they have chewy centers.
- You can top these bars with whole Nutter Butters, but it goes make it hard to cut into it.
- To easily remove to peanut buttery bars, spray the pan with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottom of the pan and 2 sides with parchment paper and spray again. Once they are done cooling, you can easily remove from the pan.
This is because the middle is underbaked too much. If cut into them, you will see they are very gooey.
I recommend using my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies and adding extra chopped Nutter Butters.
Yes you can, the bars will be thinner.
Storing and Freezing
These Nutter Butter bars should be stored at room temperature in an airtight container up to 5 days.
These Nutter Butter bars can be frozen. Wrap each individual bar in plastic wrap and freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Bar Recipes To Try
Nutter Butter Bars
- ½ cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- ¾ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ⅛ cup White granulated sugar
- ½ cup Peanut butter creamy like Jif or Skippy
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 Large egg
- 1 ¼ cup All-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¾ cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips Plus extra for topping
- 1 cup Chopped Nutter Butters Plus extra for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 8X8-inch pan with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides with parchment paper and spray again. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar for 2 minutes on high speed until fluffy. Add in the peanut butter and vanilla and beat again on medium-high speed for 1 minute.½ cup Unsalted butter, ¾ cup Brown sugar, ⅛ cup White granulated sugar, ½ cup Peanut butter, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Add in the eggs and mix on medium until fluffy. Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix on low speed until just combined.1 Large egg, 1 ¼ cup All-purpose flour, ¼ teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped Nutter Butters. Pour the cookie dough into the pan and flatten it until even.¾ cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 cup Chopped Nutter Butters
- Bake for 20-28 minutes. Bake until it is golden on top. Immediately top with extra Nutter Butters and chocolate chips. Cool completely on a cooling rack. Then, remove the bars from the pan and cut into squares.