These Oreo cupcakes have both regular Oreos and golden Oreos to give them the ultimate Oreo flavor. They are moist chocolate cupcakes filled with whipped Oreo cream cheese. They are topped with an Oreo and golden Oreo cream cheese frosting. If you want a cupcakes for an Oreo lover's birthday, these are for you!
When I was thinking of a way to make these Oreo cupcakes unique, my husband said "Hey, let's add golden Oreos too!" Brilliant. There aren't many desserts that use both type of Oreo cookies, and that is a shame. They taste AMAZING together.
These chocolate cupcakes are just like my chocolate peanut butter cupcakes. They are moist and light and full of chocolate flavor. They are filled with Oreo pie filling with Oreo pieces just like my cookies and cream cake. If you are looking for another Oreo dessert, check out my Oreo cheesecake.
Why You Will Love This
- Golden Oreos and regular Oreos- These are a match made in heaven. Chocolate and vanilla cookie sandwiches with cream. YES. They are both used in the filling and the frosting.
- Moist chocolate cupcakes- These cupcakes are the definition of moist fluffy cake. The trick to making them fluffy is the hot water! It really makes the chocolate flavor bloom.
- Oreo pie filling- Also called Oreo whipped cream cheese. This filling is heaven and you could eat it straight from the bowl.
- Oreo cream cheese frosting- I think cream cheese frosting is the BEST. Add very small Oreo crumbs, then this frosting goes to a whole other level.
Here are some notes about the ingredients that I used.
- Dutch process cocoa powder- This is the cocoa powder that I use. It makes the cupcakes very rich and has a very strong chocolate flavor. You can use regular cocoa powder, but the taste and look will be very different.
- Baking soda and baking powder- I have gotten a question about why I use both for this recipe. This is because I need a stronger rise in these cupcakes with the hot water. Use both!
- Oil- Use canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Buttermilk- Buttermilk from the store is best. If you can't find that in your area, substitute ½ cup cows milk and ½ tablespoon lemon juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes before using.
- Hot water- It needs to be steaming. Don't use regular tap hot water. This won't be hot enough. Heat it on the stove for best results.
- Oreos- Use regular-sized Oreos for this recipe. Don't use double stuff Oreos because it will be too much moisture.
- Dairy ingredients- Make sure all dairy ingredients labeled "room temperature" get pulled out 2 hours before baking.
Step By Step Instructions
Here are the step by step instructions to make, fill, and decorate the cupcakes. The chocolate cupcake batter use 2 bowls and a whisk. The filling and the frosting require a stand mixer or a hand mixer (electric mixer).
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients. Use a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners. Then, mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
STEP 2: Mix the wet ingredients. Mix the buttermilk, oil, vanilla extract, and large eggs in a separate bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk until completely combined.
Heat the water on the stove and very slowly pour the hot water into the batter. Go slow to not over cook the eggs.
STEP 3: Scoop the batter. Scoop the batter into the muffin tins. Fill ¾ full. I like to use a 3oz cookie scoop to fill them up.
Bake for 22-25 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool completely before decorating on a cooling rack.
STEP 4: Make the filling. Beat the cream cheese on high until light and fluffy. Then, add in the powdered sugar and vanilla.
In a cold bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in the whipped cream into the bowl. Then, add the crushed Oreo pieces.
Only add the Oreo pieces right before filling the cupcakes. Otherwise they get soggy.
STEP 5: Make the Oreo frosting. Beat the cream cheese and slightly cold butter on high speed in a large bowl. It should be very fluffy. Then, add in the powdered sugar and Oreo cookie crumbs.
Use a food processor to blend the Oreo cookies into a fine crumb. It will be very thick. Then, add in the vanilla and heavy cream. Beat until light and fluffy.
STEP 6: Use a cupcake corer to core the cupcakes. Go about ⅔rds down and toss the stuffing. Fill each cupcake to the very top with filling. Then, pipe the frosting on top.
The cupcake batter is going to be very runny. Since it is such a light batter, it becomes very light in texture. While scooping it can get very messy. Using a cookie scoop helps reduce the drips.
When folding the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture for the filling, go very gentle to not deflate the air. It will also take a few minutes until it is fully mixed in. Keep mixing until no cream cheese streaks remain.
Fill the chocolate Oreo cupcakes right before decorating. If you make the filling ahead of time, keep it in the fridge.
Use a piping bag to pipe the frosting on top of the cupcake. I used the piping tip Wilton 1M.
Yes you can! Wrap the cupcakes in an air tight container or plastic wrap and store in the freezer. They will last up to 30 days in the freezer. Let the cupcakes sit for 1 hour before filling and decorating.
Yes you can. You can use regular Oreos or any flavor combination you would like. Just don't use double stuff Oreos. There is too much moisture for the frosting with double stuff.
For an 8X8 cake, keep the recipe the same. For a sheet cake or three 8 inch layer cake, double the cake recipe. Keep the frosting the same for a sheet cake. Double the frosting for a layered cake.
Yes you can. Store it in the fridge if needed 24 hours or more. It will last up to a week in the fridge. Let it thaw on the counter for 1 ½ hours. Then, rewhip in the mixer before using.
I haven't recipe tested any egg substitutes. If you use any and they work, let me know!
Storing and Freezing
Store these homemade Oreo cupcakes in the fridge in an airtight container. Like this cake carrier. They will last up to 5 days in the fridge.
Freeze these Oreo cupcakes by storing in an air tight container up to 30 days. Let the cupcakes thaw for 2 hours before eating.
Other Cupcake Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW if you loved this recipe! Make sure to tag me on Instagram @stephaniesweettreats. To get more ideas follow me on Pinterest.
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Buttermilk room temperature
- ¼ cup Oil canola or vegetable
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- ½ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup Hot water
Whipped Oreo Cream Cheese
- 2 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- ½ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Powdered sugar sifted
- ¼ cup Heavy cream cold
- 2 Oreos smashed into pieces
- 2 Golden Oreos smashed into pieces
Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- ¾ cup Unsalted butter slightly cold
- 3 ½ cups Powdered sugar sifted
- 3 Oreo grounded into fine crumbs
- 3 Golden Oreos grounded into fine crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ cup Heavy cream
- More Oreos for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Then, add in the sugar and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and eggs.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk until combined. Heat the water on the stove until steaming. Slowly mix the hot water into the batter.
- Use a 3 oz cookie scoop to scoop the batter. Fill the muffin liners ¾ full. Bake for 22-25 minutes. They are done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes sit in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack. Cool completely before filling and decorating.
Whipped Oreo Cream Cheese
- Use a food processor or crush the Oreos in a sandwich baggie. There should be small and medium sized pieces. Place a metal bowl and whisk attachments in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Beat the cream cheese on high for 1 minute. Add in the vanilla and sifted powdered sugar. Mix on low until combined. Beat on high until smooth.
- Pour heavy cream in the cold bowl and beat on high until stiff peaks form. Pour whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Fold gently until combined and no cream cheese streaks remain.
- Remove ¼ of the whipped cream cheese. We won't need that much. Fold in the crushed Oreos into the ¾ whipped cream cheese.
- Use a cupcake corer or a sharp knife to cut a hole in the cupcakes about ⅔rds down. Toss the filling and tops. Fill the cupcakes to the top with whipped cream cheese.
Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting
- Set the butter on the counter for 30 minutes to get slightly cold. Sift the powdered sugar while you wait. Use a food processor to blend both Oreos into fine crumbs. Pour Oreo crumbs in with the powdered sugar.
- Using a mixer, beat the butter and room temperature cream cheese. Beat on high for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar/Oreo crumbs. Mix until combined. It will be thick. Add in vanilla and heavy cream. Beat on low until combined. Switch to high and beat for 2 minutes. It should be light and fluffy. Pipe the cupcakes. I used a 1M wilton tip. Keep cupcakes in the fridge.
My friend and I had a great time making these Oreo cupcakes! They are so delicious and indulgent. I think my personal favorite element was the Oreo whipped cream cheese filling- if I made them again, I would probably just frost them with it!
These cupcakes are my favorite. I love the frosting the most!