These pecan pie cinnamon rolls are super soft rolls with cinnamon pecan filling and pecan pie filling. They are topped with a cream cheese glaze. It is the perfect marriage of cinnamon buns and Thanksgiving dessert.
I have been compensated by Wholesome Sweeteners, Inc., maker of Wholesome® sweeteners for my participation in this campaign.
These pecan pie cinnamon rolls are SO good and make an amazing breakfast or dessert. If you love gooey cinnamon rolls and pecan pie then you will want to eat this entire dish, because it is so good. It is irresistible!
These cinnamon rolls are made using Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Dark Brown Sugar. Wholesome has ingredients that matter. Using their Fair Trade and Organic products makes me feel good about my bakes because I know that it is sustainably sourced and high quality. Their dark brown sugar in particular has more molasses to give a deeper and richer flavor than light brown sugar which is perfect for that pecan pie flavor.
- Why This Gooey Cinnamon Rolls Recipe Works
- Ingredient Notes for Pecan Pie Sweet Rolls
- Ingredient Substitutions
- Step By Step Instructions - Cinnamon Roll Dough
- Step By Step Instructions - Pecan Pie Filling and Cinnamon Pecan Filling
- Step By Step Instructions - Assembly and Baking
- Expert Baking Tips
- Recipe Variations
- Special Tools
- Storing and Freezing
- 📖 Recipe
Why This Gooey Cinnamon Rolls Recipe Works
- Pecan pie breakfast- These rolls are delicious because they bring your favorite Thanksgiving dessert to breakfast!
- Homemade cinnamon rolls- These homemade rolls have that soft and gooey cinnamon roll texture that makes the best cinnamon rolls so irresistible.
- Prep ahead- You can start these delicious cinnamon rolls the night before you want to eat them and finish the bake the next day! Just follow the overnight instructions for the dough rise.
Ingredient Notes for Pecan Pie Sweet Rolls
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- Pull the butter out 2 hours before using so it is softened butter.
- Milk- Use any milk and warm it to 110F. If too hot, it will kill the yeast, if too cool then it will dramatically slow the yeast down.
- Active dry yeast- I used 1 packet of yeast. This is the same thing as instant yeast. Do not use fast rise yeast.
- Eggs- Pull the eggs out 2 hours before baking. They also need to be lightly beaten before adding to the flour.
- Cane Sugar- This recipe was made using Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar.
- Brown sugar- I used Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Dark Brown Sugar, but light is fine.
- Confectioners sugar- I used Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Powdered Confectioners Sugar. Make sure to sift it before use.
- Dairy free- You can use your favorite dairy free options for this recipe!
- Gluten free- I haven't tested this gluten free. Let me know if you do.
Step By Step Instructions - Cinnamon Roll Dough
Here is how to make and bake the cinnamon roll dough for these pecan pie cinnamon rolls.
STEP 1: Activate yeast. Heat the milk in a microwave for about 1 minute until it is 110°F. Then, sprinkle the yeast on top of the warm milk and let it sit for 10 minutes.
STEP 2: Knead in butter. Mix the all purpose flour, cane sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add the cubed butter and knead it in with a pastry kneader or your hands until the butter lumps are the size of a pea.
STEP 3: Form dough. Add the lightly beaten eggs and the milk and yeast mixture. Use a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment to mix it on low speed until a dough forms.
If you are kneading by hand see the recipe notes for hand kneading instructions then proceed to STEP 5.
STEP 4: Knead. Turn the mixer to medium speed and let it knead for 5 minutes.
STEP 5: First rise. If you are making this for overnight, place dough in a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Then, place it in the fridge overnight.
If you are making the rolls right away preheat the oven to 200°F. Place the dough in a bowl and cover it with a kitchen towel. Next, place the bowl in the oven, turn it off, and leave the oven door cracked open. Let the dough rise for 1 hour.
Now is a good time to start the pecan pie filling as it will need to cool before using it.
Step By Step Instructions - Pecan Pie Filling and Cinnamon Pecan Filling
Here is how to make the pecan pie filling and cinnamon pecan filling for the pecan pie cinnamon rolls.
STEP 1: Heat pecan pie topping. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, heavy cream, and pecans.
STEP 2: Cook pie filling. Continue to heat the pecan mixture until it starts to bubble. Then, cook for 4-5 more minutes.
STEP 3: Chill pie filling. Pour the pecan pie filling into a bowl and chill it in the fridge.
STEP 4: Beat cinnamon pecan filling. Use a small bowl and a hand mixer to beat the butter on high speed until fluffy. Add the brown sugar and cinnamon, then beat it until smooth.
Step By Step Instructions - Assembly and Baking
Here is how to assemble and bake the pecan pie cinnamon rolls.
STEP 1: Roll dough. Roll the dough into a ¼ inch thick rectangle using a lightly floured surface and a rolling pin.
STEP 2: Spread filling. Use an offset spatula to spread the cinnamon filling over the dough up to the edges. Spread the pecan pie filling over top.
STEP 3: Roll log. Roll the dough into a log starting from the short side. Cut the uneven ends off with a serrated sharp knife or unflavored dental floss. Cut the log into 9 equal pieces.
STEP 4: Second rise. Spray a 9X13 baking dish with baking spray. Place the rolls in a single layer and cover it with a towel. Let the rolls rise for 20 minutes.
STEP 5: Bake. After the rise, pour heavy cream over the uncooked cinnamon rolls. Preheat the oven to 375°F and bake for 27-29 minutes. The rolls are done when the top of the roll is golden brown.
STEP 6: Beat cream cheese and butter. Beat the cream cheese and the butter for the icing in a small bowl on high speed for 2 minutes.
STEP 7: Mix icing. Add the confectioners sugar and mix until it is smooth. Then, add the vanilla extract and milk. Mix again until smooth.
STEP 8: Top the rolls. Use a spoon to spread the icing over the rolls while they are still hot from the oven. Top them with chopped pecans.
Expert Baking Tips
- Properly measure your flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour giving you too much flour.
- Make sure your yeast is fresh. If you use expired yeast or if you put it in too hot or too cold milk it will not activate properly preventing a proper rise.
- If you choose to roll your rolls immediately you can still chill them overnight. You then bake them in the morning the next morning.
The rolls rise fastest in a warm place. If your oven is busy, you can let the dough rise at room temperature as long as you don't have a cold house. Try to find a warmer area for best results. The preheated oven is simply a safe and consistent choice. Of course, rising overnight in the fridge also works best if possible.
If you are eating just one, then reheat the roll on a plate in the microwave for 15-25 seconds until warm (the amount of time will vary with your microwave). If you are reheating a whole tray, then preheat the oven to 350, and let the baking dish of rolls sit in the oven for 5 minutes or until hot. Then, enjoy your warm rolls!
Yes you can! Follow the instructions, but bake for only 10 minutes and chill. Then, you can continue the rest of the bake time (17-19 minutes) in the morning.
- Pecan topping on top- If you have trouble getting the pecan pie filling in the rolls without squeezing it out, or just prefer it on top, you can put it on top of the cream cheese icing.
- Cinnamon sugar topping- If you prefer a cinnamon sugar coating on top to a cream cheese frosting you can follow the topping instructions from these apple cider cinnamon rolls.
- Baking spray: I use the nonstick spray that has flour in it.
- Offset spatula: I use this to easily spread the frosting or fillings.
- 9X13 pan- I love using a casserole pan instead of a normal baking pan.
- Rolling pin- You can use any rolling pin you have!
Storing and Freezing
Store these pecan pie cinnamon rolls in an airtight container in the fridge. Store up to 5 days. They are best when heated in the microwave until warm.
These pecan pie cinnamon rolls can be frozen in 2 ways.
- Freeze the rolled rolls. Freeze these up to 30 days. Let them thaw before baking. They won't rise as much, but will still work.
- Freeze the already baked rolls. Freeze these up to 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour before eating.
Other Cinnamon Roll Recipes To Try
Try these fall recipes too!
- Reese's Cup Peanut Butter Cookies
- Pumpkin Caramel Cookies
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cherry Pie Bars
Pecan Pie Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 cup Milk warmed to 110℉
- 2 packets Active dry yeast 14 grams or 4 ½ tsp
- 2 Large eggs lightly beaten
- 4 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 10 tablespoon Unsalted butter room temperature and cubed
Pecan Cinnamon Filling
- ½ cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- ¾ cup Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups Chopped pecans
- ½ cup Heavy cream
Pecan Pie Filling
- 3 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- ½ cup Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- 1 cup Chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 4 tablespoon Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Powdered Confectioners Sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Milk
- Chopped pecans for decoration on top
- Heat the milk in the microwave for a minute until warmed to 110℉. Sprinkle both packets of yeast over the milk. Let it sit for 10 minutes.1 cup Milk, 2 packets Active dry yeast
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, cane sugar, and salt together. Add in the cubed butter. Use a pastry kneader or your hands to knead the butter into the flour. Do this until the butter is the size of a pea.¼ cup Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar, 1 teaspoon Salt, 10 tablespoon Unsalted butter, 4 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- Add in the milk/yeast and lightly beaten eggs to the dry ingredients. Use a stand mixer and a dough hook. Mix on low speed until a dough starts to form. *making by hand instructions are in recipe notes.2 Large eggs
- Switch to medium speed and knead for 5 minutes.
- For making right away: Preheat the oven to 200℉. Cover bowl with kitchen towel. Turn off the oven, place the bowl in the oven, and crack open the door. Let rise for 1 hour.For overnight: Cover bowl with foil or plastic wrap. Place in the fridge to rise overnight.
Pecan Pie Filling
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add in the brown sugar, cinnamon, heavy cream, and pecans.3 tablespoon Unsalted butter, ½ cup Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Dark Brown Sugar, 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon, ½ cup Heavy cream, 1 cup Chopped pecans
- Heat until it starts to bubble. Then, cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- Pour the pecan pie filling into a bowl and chill in the fridge.
Cinnamon Pecan Filling
- In a small bowl, beat the butter on high speed until fluffy. Add in the brown sugar and cinnamon. Beat until smooth.½ cup Unsalted butter, ¾ cup Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Dark Brown Sugar, 1 tablespoon Ground cinnamon, 1 ½ cups Chopped pecans
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface using a rolling pin. Roll into a large rectangle about ¼-inch thick.
- Spread the cinnamon filling over the dough. Use an offset icing spatula and spread to the edges. Spread the pecan pie filling over the cinnamon filling.
- Starting on the short side, roll into a log.
- Use a serrated knife or unflavored dental floss to cut the uneven ends off. Then, cut into 9 rolls.
- Spray a 9X13 casserole dish with baking nonstick spray. Place the rolls evenly into the dish. Cover with a towel and let it rise for 20 minutes. Once done rising, pour the heavy cream over the rolls.½ cup Heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Bake for 27-29 minutes until the top of the rolls are golden brown.
Cream Cheese Icing
- In a small bowl using a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter on high speed for 2 minutes.4 oz Cream cheese, 4 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- Then, add in the confectioners sugar and mix until smooth. Add in the vanilla and milk. Mix until smooth.1 cup Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Powdered Confectioners Sugar, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon Milk
- Use a spoon to spread the icing over the cinnamon rolls. Topped with chopped pecans.Chopped pecans