This pumpkin bread with cream cheese frosting is probably the most moist pumpkin bread! It is topped with both a pumpkin pie streusel and cream cheese glaze. This bread is super easy to make and the perfect fall bake!
This pumpkin bread with cream cheese frosting is the definition of fall to me. Once September 1st or pumpkin season rolls around I need to make a pumpkin bread!
The pumpkin bread uses a whole can of pumpkin puree and is loaded with spices! It is topped with a streusel which gives it a great crunch.
Then, it is topped with a cream cheese frosting that gets poured on top!
For more pumpkin recipes, try Swirled No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake, Pumpkin S'mores Cookies, and Halloween Pumpkin Ghost Cupcakes.
Why This Recipe Works
- Moist pumpkin bread- The pumpkin bread has the best texture! It is super soft and full of spices. This bread is also perfect for a pumpkin lover.
- Pumpkin spice streusel- This gives the bread a great crunch!
- Cream cheese frosting- The frosting has extra milk so it gets poured on top of the cake.
- Easy to make- The pumpkin bread and the streusel doesn't need a mixer!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Pumpkin pie spice- You can find this at your local grocery store.
- Unsalted butter- The butter is melted for both the streusel and the pumpkin bread. The butter for the frosting is pulled out 2 hours before using.
- Pumpkin puree- Use a whole can of Libby's pumpkin puree. Make sure it is not pumpkin pie filling!
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream cheese. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure this is sifted to avoid a gritty frosting.
- Milk- Use any milk.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake this pumpkin loaf. The bread and streusel doesn't need an electric mixer. The glaze needs a hand mixer. You will need a 9X5-inch loaf pan.
STEP 1: Make the streusel- Start by mixing the all-purpose flour, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and melted butter in a bowl using a fork.
Then, place in the fridge to firm up while you make the batter.
STEP 2: Mix the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, sift the flour. Add the baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
STEP 3: Mix the wet ingredients. In a large bowl, mix the melted butter (make sure it is cooled to room temperature before using), white sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, and eggs. Use a whisk to mix it together.
STEP 4: Add the flour mixture. Next, add the flour mixture and use a rubber spatula to mix until just combined.
STEP 5: Pour. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Then, take the streusel out of the fridge and use your hands to crumble the streusel. Sprinkle the streusel on top of the batter. Use it all!
STEP 6: Bake. Bake the bread for 60-70 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Let the bread sit in the hot pan before transferring to a cooling rack.
STEP 7: Cream cheese frosting- In a small bowl, mix the butter and cream cheese on high speed. Then, add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. It should be thin enough to pour on top of the bread.
Expert Baking Tips
- Properly measure the flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour. Compacted flour can cause the cake to be dry.
- To easily remove the bread from the pan. Make sure to first spray the pan with baking nonstick spray. Then, line the bottom with parchment paper, so when it is time to remove the cake, it can be easily lifted out of the pan.
- Make sure to not over mix the batter, so it doesn't get tough.
- Keep the bread on a cooling rack and place a cookie sheet underneath, then pour the cream cheese icing on top.
Yes it can! It can be made into a 8X8-inch square pan or 9X9-inch square pan.
Yes it can! It will make 12-18 muffins! Bake for 18-20 minutes.
Yes you can! Add 1 cup of chocolate chips.
Storing and Freezing
Store the pumpkin bread with cream cheese frosting in an airtight container in the fridge up to 5 days. It needs to go in the fridge because of the frosting.
Wrap the individual slices in plastic wrap or use an airtight container. Freeze up to 30 days.
Other Fall Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW if you loved this recipe! Make sure to tag me on Instagram @stephaniesweettreats. To get more ideas follow me on Pinterest.
Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting
Pumpkin Spice Streusel
- ½ cup All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup Unsalted butter melted
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 3 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon Pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Unsalted butter melted and cooled
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- ¾ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- 1 can Pumpkin puree 15oz can
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 2 tablespoon Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup Powdered sugar sifted
- ¼ cup Milk
Pumpkin Spice Streusel
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, and pumpkin spice together with a fork. Pour in the melted butter and mix together until combined. Place in the fridge until ready to use.½ cup All-purpose flour, ½ cup Brown sugar, 1 teaspoon Pumpkin pie spice, ¼ cup Unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9X5-inch loaf pan with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper. Spray again.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Set aside.2 cups All-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon Baking soda, 3 teaspoon Ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoon Pumpkin pie spice, 1 teaspoon Salt
- In a separate bowl, mix the melted butter (make sure it is cooled to room temperature before using), sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, vanilla, and eggs. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a whisk to mix until just combined.½ cup Unsalted butter, ¾ cup White granulated sugar, ¾ cup Brown sugar, 1 can Pumpkin puree, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 2 Large eggs
- Pour the batter into the pan. Sprinkle the streusel on top of the batter.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the bread sit in the hot pan for 10 minutes. Then, grab the parchment paper to take it out of the pan and cool on a cooling rack. Cool completely before pouring cream cheese frosting on top.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a small bowl using a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla on high speed until smooth.2 oz Cream cheese, 2 tablespoon Unsalted butter, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Add the powdered sugar and mix on low until combined. Pour in the milk and mix. It should be pourable consistency.½ cup Powdered sugar, ¼ cup Milk
- Place the cooling rack over a cookie sheet and pour the glaze on top.
Cierra Evans says
Amazing will be making this all fall season my family is obsessed. Also, so easy to follow and make.
I am obsessed with pumpkin everything...besides pie...hence why I love trying bread, muffins, cookies and all else pumpkin! I have made breads before and I must say this one is for sure on the top! I can eat it cold or warm and its delish! I only glazed half since I wanted to try without the cream cheese frosting and both options were a hit! Everyone that tried it asked when i was making again! Thanks for sharing this recipe!!!! 🙂
Is a can of 16oz pumpkin purée sufficient? The recipe says 1.1lbs
Stephanie Rutherford says
Yes that is fine!