This red velvet bundt cake is the perfect cake to make for Valentine's Day! It is a moist, tender, and vibrant cake baked in a bundt pan. The cake is also topped with cream cheese glaze. It gets its vibrant color for only a little bit of food coloring! No gross food dye flavor, but a strong red color. You have to make it for Valentine's Day.
This red velvet bundt cake is SO good. Before learning how to bake, I used to hate red velvet. However, my red velvet cake is incredible!
It is incredibly soft with the soft chocolate flavor. The key is choosing the right food dye.
Why You Will Love This
- Moist red velvet cake- This cake is super soft and moist texture. It uses both buttermilk and sour cream to get the soft crumb.
- No food dye taste- It uses only a little bit of food dye! No need to dunk a whole bottle of food dye in this cake and ruin the chocolate cake flavor!
- Cream cheese glaze- You can't have a red velvet cake without cream cheese!
- Easy to make- This red velvet bundt cake recipe is so easy to make because you throw the batter into a bundt pan! Beautiful cake and simple to do.
- Unsweetened Cocoa powder- For the bright red velvet color, use regular cocoa powder. I used Hershey's.
- Oil- You can use canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Buttermilk- You can also substitute 1 ¼ cup whole milk with 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes before using.
- White distilled vinegar- This is necessary for traditional red velvet cakes. The buttermilk and vinegar help to bring out the red tones in the cocoa powder.
- Eggs- Pull these out 2 hours before baking for best results.
- Sour cream- Use full fat sour cream. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Red food coloring- The best food coloring is Americolor super red food coloring. This gives it the bright color without the bad food dye taste you get with a lot of food dyes.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream cheese. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake this bundt cake. you do not need an electric mixer for this recipe.
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients together. In a large mixing bowl, sift the all purpose flour and cocoa powder together to prevent any lumps in the batter. Add in the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the flour mixture.
STEP 2: Mix the wet ingredients. Mix the oil, buttermilk, vinegar, eggs, vanilla extract, sour cream, and red food coloring.
STEP 3: Mix the batter. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Use a whisk, then switch to a rubber spatula to make sure it is all mixed together.
STEP 4: Bake the cake. Pour batter into the bundt cake pan. See below for more information on bundt cake pans. Bake the cake for 40-50 minutes. Let the cake cool a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
STEP 5: Cream cheese icing. Beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar together. Add in the vanilla and milk. It should be a pourable consistency.
STEP 6: Pour the glaze. Pour the glaze immediately on top of the cake.
What Bundt Pans To Use
The bundt pan I used is this one. It is a 10-cup bundt pan.
All of the batter won't fit inside the pan. Fill the pan ¾ths full. You can make a cupcake or 2 out of the leftover batter.
You can also use a 12-cup bundt pan. Use all of the batter for it.
Expert Baking Tips
Be careful to not to overmix the cake batter. When you first mix the batter, it will be lumpy. Mix only until some of the lumps are gone.
To prevent the cake from sticking to the bundt pan, make sure to spray well with a baking nonstick spray (the kind with flour in it) the entire inside of your prepared pan.
When you apply a glaze, place the cake on a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet. This will prevent the mess when applying the glaze.
Perfect reds velvet flavor tastes like a mild chocolate flavor. When done right (like this cake!), it tastes so good!
No, I recommend the oil for the moisture.
Yes! It makes three 8-inch cake layers. Use this recipe for cream cheese frosting.
Storing and Freezing
Store this red velvet bundt cake in an airtight container. Store up to 5 days in the fridge. The cake is best enjoyed at room temperature.
The cake can be frozen in individual cake slices. Wrap the slices and store in the freezer up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours hours before enjoying.
Other Bundt Cake Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Red Velvet Bundt Cake
Red Velvet Bundt Cake
- 3 cups All-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ¾ cups White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Oil Canola or vegetable
- 1 ¼ cup Buttermilk room temperature
- ¾ teaspoon White vinegar
- 3 Large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoon Red food coloring Use americolor super red gel food coloring.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 1 ½ cups Powdered sugar sifted
- 3-4 tablespoon Milk
- ½ tsp Pure vanilla extract
Red Velvet Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 10-cup bundt pan with baking non-stick spray. Spray really well!
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour and cocoa powder together. Add the sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.3 cups All-purpose flour, ¼ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 ¾ cups White granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Baking powder, 1 teaspoon Salt
- In a separate bowl, mix the oil, buttermilk, vinegar, eggs, vanilla, sour cream, and red food coloring. Mix until it is combined and bright red.1 cup Oil, 1 ¼ cup Buttermilk, ¾ teaspoon White vinegar, 3 Large eggs, 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ¼ cup Sour cream, 1 ½ teaspoon Red food coloring
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into the bundt pan. For a 10- cup bundt pan use ⅞ of the batter. For a 12-cup bundt pan, use all of the batter.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes. The cake is done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the cake sit in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack.
- Allow cake to cool completely. Then, make the glaze.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- Use a hand mixer and beat the cream cheese on high for 1 minute. Add in the sifted powdered sugar. Mix on low until combined. Then, mix on high until smooth. Add in milk and vanilla. Mix again until combined. It should be a pourable glaze consistency.4 oz Cream cheese, 1 ½ cups Powdered sugar, 3-4 tablespoon Milk, ½ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Place cake on a cooling rack with a cookie sheet underneath. This will catch all the glaze that drips down. Pour glaze all over cake.