These Nutella brownies are super fudgy chocolate brownies. They have Nutella both in the batter and swirled on top. The Nutella flavor is strong, but balanced with the chocolate. This chocolate hazelnut goodness is simple to make and will be your new favorite dessert.
These Nutella brownies are the best Nutella brownies because they have the perfect flavor and texture. The only better than from-scratch brownies is adding that chocolate hazelnut flavor. This Nutella brownies recipe perfect for both the chocolate lovers and Nutella fans in your life.
Why This Nutella Brownie Recipe Works
- Nutella flavor- The Nutella flavor is, of course, what makes these chocolate brownies special. The flavor is strong, but does not overwhelm the chocolate flavor either in this Nutella brownie recipe.
- Fudgy texture- These chewy brownies have that perfect fudgy texture that makes for the best brownies.
- Easy brownie recipe- These easy brownies are simple to make. There are only a few simple steps to making these homemade brownies!
Ingredient Notes for Nutella Brownies
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Large Eggs- Pull these out 2 hours before baking to get to room temperature.
- Oil- Use canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Unsalted Butter- Melt butter before you need it so it has time to cool down before using it.
- Powdered sugar- For best results, be sure to sift this as clumps can cause gritty texture.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- I strongly recommend dutch process cocoa powder for a more rich chocolate flavor. This is the one I used.
- Nutella- If you use another chocolate hazelnut spread just make sure it has a similar texture to Nutella.
- Dairy free- You can use your favorite dairy free options for this recipe!
- Gluten free- I haven't tested this gluten free. Let me know if you do.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these fudgy Nutella brownies
STEP 1: Prep. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Then, a 9X9 inch square pan with baking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper along the bottom and coming up 2 sides. Finally, spray it one more time.
STEP 2: Dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, sift together the all purpose flour, cornstarch, and salt.
STEP 3: Beat sugar and eggs. In the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat the white sugar, powdered sugar, eggs, and egg yolk together on high speed for 5 minutes.
STEP 4: Wet ingredients and combine. Add the melted butter, oil, and vanilla extract to the butter mixture. Mix it in on low speed. Then, add in the flour mixture and mix them in on low speed until it is all combined.
STEP 5: Add Nutella. Take the batter off of the mixer and use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and mix it in. Then, add the Nutella and mix it in.
STEP 6: Pour. Spread and smooth batter in an even layer in the prepared pan. Next, heat the Nutella in the microwave for 30 seconds. Use a 1 teaspoon scoop to place the Nutella over the batter. Then, swirl the Nutella lumps into the Nutella brownie batter with a butter knife.
STEP 7: Bake. Bake the brownie tray for 40-50 minutes bake time. They brownies are done when a toothpick inserted into the middle of the brownies comes out with moist crumbs.
STEP 8: Cool. Place the baking pan on a wire rack and let them cool completely.
Expert Baking Tips
- To make brownie recipes more fudgy you include more egg yolk and cornstarch.
- The extra egg yolk adds more fats to the recipe which helps give that moist and soft texture compared to the tougher, more cakey texture from the gluten in the flour.
- The cornstarch helps by breaking down the gluten strands from the flour as well leading to a more fudgy brownie.
- When doing the toothpick test make sure that there is not wet batter. If there is you need to bake them for a few more minutes. There should be moist crumbs, but no batter.
This means that the brownies were too under done. You will probably have extremely fudgy brownies. Bake the brownies again for another 5-10 minutes to cook them more.
This means the brownies are over baked. Make sure when you bake these, the center is slightly under done. You should get moist brownie crumbs when testing with a toothpick.
Yes you can. It will just make thick Nutella brownies. They will require more bake time than a big pan due to being thicker.
- If you want extra Nutella flavor, you top with a Nutella icing of just melted Nutella.
- 9X9 pan: I use metal square pans for baking. I don't recommend glass pans.
- Parchment paper: I use premade sheets of parchment paper vs the roll of parchment paper. It makes baking a lot easier!
- Baking spray: I use the nonstick spray that has flour in it.
- Offset spatula: I use this to easily spread the frosting or fillings.
Storing and Freezing
Store these Nutella brownies in an airtight container like a cake carrier. Store in the fridge up to 5 days.
You can freeze the Nutella brownies in individual brownie slices. Place in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days.
Other Brownie Recipes To Try
Try These Nutella Recipes
- 1 ¾ cups White granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Powdered sugar
- 3 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 Egg yolk
- ½ cup Unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup Oil canola or vegetable
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ⅓ cup Nutella in the batter
- ⅓ cup Nutella melted for the swirl on top
- Preheat the oven 325°F. Spray a 9X9-inch square baking pan with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper. Spray again.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside.¾ cup All-purpose flour, 1 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon Cornstarch, 1 teaspoon Salt
- Using a mixer with a whisk attachment, add the sugar, powdered sugar, eggs, and egg yolk. Beat on high speed for 5 minutes.1 ¾ cups White granulated sugar, ¼ cup Powdered sugar, 3 Large eggs, 1 Egg yolk
- Add in the melted butter, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix on low speed until combined. Add in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed.½ cup Unsalted butter, ¼ cup Oil, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Take of the mixer and use a rubber spatula to mix the batter. Add in the Nutella and mix in.⅓ cup Nutella
- Spread batter in the pan. Heat the Nutella in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds. Use a 1 teaspoon to scoop the Nutella on top of the brownie batter. Use a butter knife to swirl in the Nutella.⅓ cup Nutella
- Bake for 40-50 minutes. The brownies are done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs. Let the brownies cool in the pan on a cooling rack until completely cool.