This chocolate Butterfinger cake has Butterfinger candy bars in every step! This a moist chocolate layered cake with a whipped peanut butter filling and chopped Butterfingers. It is topped with a Butterfinger cream cheese frosting, chocolate drip, and peanut butter drip. This cake is SO good.
This Butterfinger cake is incredibly moist and combines peanut butter and chocolate. The best part about this cake is the filling! It has a peanut butter filling with Butterfingers.
The Butterfingers in the cake gives it such a great crunch!
Why You Will Love This
- Butterfingers galore!- There are so many Butterfingers used in this this recipe. If you love this candy bar, you will love these!
- Moist chocolate cake- This chocolate cake is incredibly moist. It uses oil, buttermilk, and hot water to make it super moist.
- Peanut butter filling- It uses is a peanut butter whipped cream cheese filling that is incredible!
- Butterfinger cream cheese frosting- This is a cream cheese frosting with ground Butterfingers.
These are some notes about the ingredients used.
- Room temperature dairy ingredients- Any of the ingredients that say room temperature, pull out 2 hours before baking.
- Butterfingers- I used a whole big bag of fun sized butterfingers. If you want to top with more Butterfingers, buy another 6 pack of fun size candy bars.
- Dutch processed cocoa powder- This is the one I used. Use dutch processed for a richer cake.
- Baking powder + Baking soda- This cake uses both rising agents.
- Buttermilk- Buttermilk from the store is best. See below for substitutions.
- Hot water- Use hot steaming water from the stove. Using tap water won't be hot enough to bloom the chocolate.
- Peanut butter- I used Jif creamy peanut butter.
Step By Step Instructions
Here are the step by step instructions to bake the cake, filling, and frosting.
STEP 1: Use three 8 inch cake pans. You can also make it into four 6 inch cake layers as well. I prefer 8 inch cake layers. Make sure to spray with baking non-stick spray.
STEP 2: Mix the dry ingredients together. This includes the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Then, mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
STEP 3: Add the wet ingredients into the dry. Whisk until smooth. Add in the hot water very slowly. If you go to fast it will over cook the eggs.
STEP 4: Pour cake batter into the three pans. Bake for 20-24 minutes. Make sure the cakes cool completely before decorating.
STEP 5: Peanut butter whipped filling. Mix the cream cheese and peanut butter together until smooth. Add in vanilla and powdered sugar. Once mixed, add in the whipped cream.
STEP 6: Freeze the peanut butter filling. Beat the slightly cold butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar and ground Butterfingers.
STEP 7: Next, add vanilla and heavy cream to the frosting. Beat until smooth and creamy.
Here are my tips when baking this cake:
Once the cakes are done baking, let it sit for 10 minutes. This will let it pull away from the sides of the pan.
When making the whipped cream for the filling, make sure to use a cold metal bowl. This will speed up the process of making it.
Here are my tips to assemble the cake:
- Use slightly cold cakes. Not frozen though. The cold cake will keep the filling from sliding out the sides.
- Use half of the peanut butter filling on each cake layer. It should be cold and thick, but spreadable. Top with A LOT of chopped Butterfingers.
- Pipe a border around each cake layer to keep the filling in the cake.
- Frost a very light layer of frosting around the cake. Then, freeze for 15 minutes to lock in the crumbs and the filling.
- If the cake is too wiggly from the soft filling, freeze for 10 minutes before doing the crumb coat layer.
- Before adding the drips, make sure to freeze the cake for 10 minutes. A cold cake will prevent the frosting from spreading every where.
- Buttermilk- You can use 1 cup of cow milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes for it to get thick like buttermilk.
- Butterfingers- You can use any type of chocolate candy.
- Filling- You can multiply the frosting by 1.5 to have enough frosting for the filling. This is if you don't want the peanut butter filling.
I haven't recipe tested this. If you want to try, I recommend Bob's Red Mill 1:1 gluten free flour blend.
I have not recipe tested this. If you do any egg substitutions, let me know!
No, it will be too runny for this recipe.
No, this recipe needs all of the fat in the filling and the frosting.
No! You don't have too. It just gives the cake more flavor and makes it look nice.
Yes! Wrap the cooled cakes in cling wrap tightly. Freeze for 1 week. Thaw for 1 hour before decorating.
Yes! Halve the recipe. It will make 12 cupcakes.
Storing and Freezing
Store this Butterfinger cake in the fridge in an air tight container like this cake carrier. It will last up to 5 days.
You can freeze the Butterfinger cake into individual cake slices. Wrap in cling wrap and store in the freezer for 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour before enjoying.
Other Cake Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- ¾ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Oil canola or vegetable
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 3 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup Buttermilk room temperature
- ¾ cup Hot water
Peanut Butter Whipped Cream Cheese
- 4 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups Powdered sugar sifted
- ½ cup Peanut butter creamy
- ½ cup Heavy cream cold
- 1 ½ cups Chopped Butterfingers
- 8 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 1 ½ cups Unsalted butter slightly cold
- 8 ½ cups Powdered sugar sifted
- 1 cup Butterfinger crumbs ground then measured
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Heavy cream
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup Heavy cream
- ½ cup Peanut butter melted
- Butterfingers for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray three 8 inch cake pans with baking non-stick spray. Line with 8 inch parchment circles and spray again.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour and cocoa powder together. Add in the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix. In a separate mixing bowl, mix the oil, vanilla, eggs, and buttermilk.¾ cup Dutch process cocoa powder, 1 ¾ cup White granulated sugar, 2 teaspoon Baking powder, 1 teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Salt, ½ cup Oil, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 3 Large eggs, 1 cup Buttermilk
- Heat water over the stove until steaming. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Very slowly pour in the hot water. Go slow to not to overcook the eggs.¾ cup Hot water
- Pour the cake batter evenly between the three cake pans. Bake for 20-24 minutes. The cake is done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake pans sit for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
Peanut Butter Whipped Cream
- Place a metal bowl with a whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes. In a separate mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese on high for 1 minute. Add in the peanut butter and vanilla and beat again for 1 minute until combined. Add in the sifted powdered sugar. It will be dry at first, then it will smooth out.4 oz Cream cheese, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ½ cup Peanut butter, 1 ½ cups Powdered sugar
- Take your cold bowl and whip the heavy cream on high until stiff peaks form. Pour the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture. Use a rubber baking spatula and gently fold until there are no more peanut butter streaks. This takes a few minutes. Place in the fridge until right before using.½ cup Heavy cream
- Set the butter on the counter for 30 minutes for it to get slightly cold. While it is resting, sift the powdered sugar and use a food processor to blend the Butterfingers. Mix together.1 ½ cups Unsalted butter, 8 ½ cups Powdered sugar, 1 cup Butterfinger crumbs
- Using a mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter on high for 2-3 minutes. It should be fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar/ Butterfingers slowly. It will be very thick.8 oz Cream cheese
- Add in the vanilla and heavy cream. Once mixed together, beat on high for 1-2 minutes until creamy.2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ¼ cup Heavy cream
- Pour chocolate chips into a bowl. Place heavy cream in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat until hot and steaming. Then, pour over the chocolate chips. Let it sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds.1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips, ¾ cup Heavy cream
- Mix the ganache until smooth and silky. If there are any more chocolate chunks remaining, heat in the microwave for 10 second intervals until smooth.
- Place a small amount of frosting over the board you are decorating on. This will keep the cake in place.
- Place 1st layer of cake bottom side down. Pipe a layer of frosting around the border of the cake to create a barrier. Use half of the peanut butter whipped cream cheese and spread evenly. Add half of the chopped Butterfingers on top. Repeat with the second layer.1 ½ cups Chopped Butterfingers
- Place the last layer bottom side up. Apply a light layer of frosting around the cake. You should see peeps of the cake. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes to seal the crumbs. Frost the rest of the cake. Then, freeze for 10 minutes before applying the drip.
- Make the ganache. Pour the chocolate over the cake. Use an offset spatula to spread the chocolate to the edges for it drip down the cake. Smooth the top. Freeze for 10 minutes. Apply the melted peanut butter on top and spread to the edges. Top with extra Butterfingers½ cup Peanut butter, Butterfingers