This lemonade bundt cake is a super moist bundt cake. It is full of fresh lemon flavor and topped with a lemon glaze. This is the perfect cake to make when you are wanting a lemon dessert! The cake itself is super moist and fluffy. If you have extra lemons, you have to make this cake!
This lemonade bundt cake taste like fresh lemon. The homemade lemon glaze on top, brings the lemon flavor to the top!
The cake is super fluffy and moist. It just melts in your mouth! It is perfect to make for special occasions or for spring. This cake is perfect for lemon lovers!
Why This Recipe Works
- Lemon cake- The lemon cake is very soft and full of fresh lemon flavor with both lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Lemon glaze- The lemon glaze is easy to make and pours right on top of the cake.
- Bundt cake- This cake is baked in a bundt pan, so it is easy to make.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- Pull this out 2 hours before baking so it is softened butter.
- Oil- Use canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Lemon zest- Use a zester to zest three large lemons.
- Lemon juice- Use a citrus juicer to juice a large lemon.
- Sour cream- Use full fat sour cream. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Buttermilk- Use full fat or reduced buttermilk. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure to sift this to avoid a gritty frosting.
- Oil- You can also use olive oil.
- Sour cream- You can use full fat plain yogurt. Preferably greek yogurt.
- Buttermilk- Use 1 cup of milk and add 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice. Let it sit or 10 minutes before using.
- Glaze- You can use milk instead of lemon juice or a traditional glaze.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake this lemon cake. You will need a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or an electric mixer (hand mixer). You will also need a rubber spatula, a 10-cup bundt pan or a 12-cup bundt pan.
Note: The 12-cup bundt pan will use all of the cake batter. I used the 10-cup bundt pan will use ¾ths of the cake batter. For the rest of the batter I made it into cupcakes.
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients. In a large bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Before starting the batter, prepare the lemon zest and the lemon juice and place in separate bowls.
STEP 2: Mix the butter, oil, and sugar. Using a mixer, beat the butter, oil, and sugar on high speed for 3 minutes. It will be very fluffy and light in color.
STEP 3: Add the wet ingredients. Add the lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, sour cream, and eggs. Mix these all in on medium speed.
The batter will appear separated, but this is normal. This is from the acid in the lemon.
STEP 4: Add the flour mixture and buttermilk. Alternate between these two and mix on low speed.
STEP 5: Bake. Pour the batter into the bundt cake pan and bake for 35-45 minutes. Bake until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs. The top with be golden brown.
STEP 6: Cool. Let the lemonade cake cool for 10 minutes in the hot pan before flipping onto a cooling rack. Make sure it is completely cool before icing.
STEP 7: Lemon icing. Mix the powdered sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice together. It needs to be thick enough to pour on to the cake, but not drip everywhere.
If it is too thick, add extra powdered sugar. ¼ cup of powdered sugar at a time. If it is too thin, add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice at a time.
Then, pour the icing on top of the cake.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour. Compacted flour can cause the cake to be dry.
- To easily remove the cake out of the pan, spray the bundt pan with baking nonstick spray. Spray it really well. Then, once the cake is done baking, it needs to sit in the hot pan for 10 minutes. This allows the cake to come away from the sides. Then, you will be able to flip it onto a wire rack.
- When you pour the glaze onto the cake, keep the wire rack on top of a cookie sheet. The cookie sheet will collect any of the glaze that pools.
Yes it can! Half the recipe to make 12 cupcakes. Bake for 16-18 minutes.
You can make this into a 9X13-inch baking pan, three 8-inch baking pans, two 9-inch baking pans. Divide the recipe in half to make three 6-inch baking pans, 8X8-inch baking pan, and 9X9-inch baking pan.
You can use lemonade in the icing! I don't recommend using lemonade in the cake because there will be too much sugar.
Storing and Freezing
Store this lemonade bundt cake in an airtight container like a cake carrier. Keep the cake at room temperature and store up to 5 days.
The cake can be frozen in individual cake slices wrapped in plastic wrap. Freeze up to 30 days and thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
The cake can also be frozen before decorating. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 2-3 hours before decorating.
Other Bundt Cake Recipes To Try
Lemonade Bundt Cake
Lemon Bundt Cake
- 3 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 tablespoon Oil canola or vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups White granulated sugar
- 3 Large lemons zested
- ¼ cup Freshly squeezed lemon juice or one large lemon juiced
- ¼ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 4 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup Buttermilk room temperature
- 1 ½ cups Powdered sugar sifted
- Half Lemon zested
- 1-2 tablespoon Lemon juice
Lemon Bundt Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 10-cup bundt pan or 12-cup bundt pan with baking nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Zest the three lemons into a small bowl. Juice one of the lemons in a separate bowl. Set aside.3 ½ cups All-purpose flour, 2 teaspoon Baking powder, 1 teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Salt, 3 Large lemons, ¼ cup Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Using a mixer, beat the butter, oil, and sugar. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. It will be very light and fluffy. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, and sour cream. Mix on medium until combined.1 cup Unsalted butter, 2 tablespoon Oil, 1 ½ cups White granulated sugar, ¼ cup Sour cream
- Add eggs in one at a time. Mix on medium until combined. Make sure to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.4 Large eggs
- Add in ⅓rd of the dry ingredients and half of the buttermilk. Mix on low speed. Add another ⅓rd of the dry ingredients and the rest of the buttermilk. Then, finish with the rest of the dry ingredients.1 cup Buttermilk
- Fill the bundt pan ¾ths full. If using a 10-cup bundt pan you will use only ¾ths of the batter. Don't overfill the pan.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake sit in the hot pan for 10 minutes. Then, flip the cake onto a cooling rack. Cool the cake completely.
- In a small bowl, add the powdered sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Use a whisk to mix until a glaze forms. It should be pourable. If it is too thin, add an extra ¼ cup of powdered sugar. If is too thick, then add an extra 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.1 ½ cups Powdered sugar, Half Lemon zested, 1-2 tablespoon Lemon juice
- Pour the glaze on top of the cake. To prevent a mess, keep the cake on a cooling rack and place a cookie sheet underneath it to catch the glaze that drips down.