These lemon raspberry rolls are perfect for the spring or summer! They have a gooey lemon dough, lemon filling with frozen raspberries, and a lemon raspberry cream cheese icing.
If you want a sweet breakfast full of fruity spring flavors, then you need to try this recipe. They are soft, sweet, tart, and packed with lemon and raspberry flavor. They are the best way to start your day!
- Why This Raspberry Lemon Rolls Recipe Works
- Ingredient Notes for Raspberry Lemon Sweet Rolls
- Ingredient Substitutions
- Step By Step Instructions - Lemon Dough
- Step By Step Instructions - Lemon Raspberry Filling
- Step By Step Instructions - Lemon Raspberry Cream Cheese Icing
- Expert Baking Tips
- Recipe Variations
- Special Tools
- Storing and Freezing
- 📖 Recipe
Why This Raspberry Lemon Rolls Recipe Works
- Lemon raspberry flavor- These rolls have a perfect balance of lemon and raspberry flavor. It also balances sweet and tart for a delicious complement.
- Soft rolls- These rolls have the soft texture of great cinnamon rolls. You won't be able to put them down.
- Cream cheese frosting- The lemon raspberry cream cheese frosting is amazing on top of the rolls.
Ingredient Notes for Raspberry Lemon Sweet Rolls
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- Pull the butter out 2 hours before using so it is softened butter.
- Milk- Use any milk and warm it to 110F. If too hot, it will kill the yeast, if too cool then it will dramatically slow the yeast down.
- Active dry yeast- I used 1 packet of yeast. This is the same thing as instant yeast. Do not use fast rise yeast.
- Eggs- Pull the eggs out 2 hours before baking. They also need to be lightly beaten before adding to the flour.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar, but dark is fine.
- Cream cheese- Pull this out 2 hours before baking to get to room temperature.
- Raspberries- Frozen raspberries are recommended for convenience. If you wish to use fresh raspberries simply freeze the ones for the filling before using them as it prevents excess juices from leaking out.
- Dairy free- You can use your favorite dairy free options for this recipe!
- Gluten free- I haven't tested this gluten free. Let me know if you do.
Step By Step Instructions - Lemon Dough
Here is how to make the lemon dough for the lemon raspberry rolls.
STEP 1: Activate yeast. Heat milk in the microwave for approximately 1 minute until it reaches 110°F. Sprinkle the yeast over the warm milk and let it sit for 10 minutes.
STEP 2: Dry ingredients. Mix the all purpose flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
STEP 3: Knead butter. Add the cubed butter to the flour mixture and knead it in with your hands or a pastry kneader until the butter lumps are the size of a pea.
STEP 4: Wet ingredients. Lightly beat the eggs in a small bowl. Add the milk and yeast mixture, eggs, and lemon zest to the flour and butter.
STEP 5: Knead dough. Use a stand mixer with a dough hook to mix on low speed until a dough starts to form. Then, switch to medium speed and knead for 5 minutes.
If you are kneading by hand see the recipes notes for instructions.
STEP 6: First rise. Spray a large bowl with non-stick spray and place the dough inside. Cover it with a kitchen towel and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
Step By Step Instructions - Lemon Raspberry Filling
Here is how to make the lemon raspberry filling and bake the lemon raspberry rolls.
STEP 1: Beat butter and sugar. Use a small bowl and hand mixer to beat the butter until smooth. Add the sugar and lemon zest and mix again until smooth.
STEP 2: Prep raspberries. Use your hands to crumble the frozen raspberries into small pieces.
STEP 3: Roll dough. Roll the dough out into a large rectangle on a lightly floured work surface. The rectangle should be ¼ inch thick.
STEP 4: Spread filling. Spread the lemon filling on top of the dough. Sprinkle the raspberry pieces on top.
STEP 5: Roll log. Roll the dough into a log, starting from the short side. Cut off any uneven ends using a serrated knife.
STEP 6: Place in pan. Spray a 9X13 baking pan with non-stick baking spray. Cut the log into 12 equal pieces and place them in the prepared pan.
STEP 7: Second Rise. Cover the pan with a towel and let it rise for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F. Then, pour the heavy cream between the rolls.
STEP 8: Bake rolls. Bake the rolls for 23-27 minutes. They are done when the tops are lightly golden brown.
Start the icing while they bake.
Step By Step Instructions - Lemon Raspberry Cream Cheese Icing
Here is how to make the lemon raspberry cream cheese icing for the lemon raspberry rolls.
STEP 1: Thaw berries. Place ⅓ cup of frozen raspberries on a plate. Heat them in the microwave for 20 seconds. You can skip this step if you are using fresh berries.
STEP 2: Mash berries. Mash the berries with a fork or potato masher.
STEP 3: Beat butter and cream cheese. Use a hand mixer and small bowl to beat the butter and cream cheese together on high speed for 1 minute.
STEP 4: Mix icing. Add the powdered sugar and mix it in on low speed until combined. Then, mix it on medium speed until smooth. Next, add in the mashed raspberries, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Mix on low speed until combined.
STEP 5: Spread icing. When the rolls are done baking, spread the cream cheese glaze over top with a spoon.
Expert Baking Tips
- Properly measure your flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour giving you too much flour.
- Make sure your yeast is fresh. If you use expired yeast or if you put it in too hot or too cold milk it will not activate properly preventing a proper rise.
- If you choose to roll your rolls immediately you can still chill them overnight. You then bake them the next morning.
The rolls rise best in a warm place. You can preheat your oven to 200°F. Then, turn the oven off and place the bowl inside with the towel on top. Leave the oven door cracked open. This will provide a warm environment for the dough to rise.
If you are eating just one, then reheat the roll on a plate in the microwave for 15-25 seconds until warm (the amount of time will vary with your microwave). If you are reheating a whole tray, then preheat the oven to 350, and let the baking dish of rolls sit in the oven for 5 minutes or until hot. Then, enjoy your warm rolls!
Yes you can! Follow the instructions, but bake for only 10 minutes and chill. Then, you can continue the rest of the bake time (13-17 minutes) in the morning.
- Lemon strawberry rolls- You can replace the raspberries with strawberries for a lemon strawberry roll instead.
- Raspberry jam rolls- You can replace either the filling or the icing with raspberry jam.
- Fresh raspberries- If you have fresh raspberries you can simply place them in the freezer before using them in the filling as they will release less juice during the bake when frozen.
- Baking spray: I use the nonstick spray that has flour in it.
- Offset spatula: I use this to easily spread the frosting or fillings.
- 9X13 pan- I love using a casserole pan instead of a normal baking pan.
- Rolling pin- You can use any rolling pin you have!
Storing and Freezing
Store these lemon raspberry rolls in an airtight container in the fridge. Store up to 5 days. They are best when heated in the microwave until warm.
These lemon raspberry rolls can be frozen in 2 ways.
- Freeze the rolled rolls. Freeze these up to 30 days. Let them thaw before baking. They won't rise as much, but will still work.
- Freeze the already baked rolls. Freeze these up to 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour before eating.
Other Cinnamon Roll Recipes To Try
Try these spring recipes too!
Lemon Raspberry Rolls
- 1 cup Milk warmed to 110℉
- 2 ¼ teaspoon Active dry yeast 1 packet
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 2 Large lemons zested or 4 small lemons
- 4 ¾ cups All-purpose flour
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 10 tablespoon Unsalted butter room temperature and cubed
Lemon Raspberry Filling
- ½ cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- 2 Large lemons zested or 4 small lemons
- 2 cups Frozen raspberry crumbles
- ½ cup Heavy cream
Lemon Raspberry Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 tablespoon Unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup Powdered sugar sifted
- 1 Large lemon zest or 2 small lemons
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon Mashed raspberries
- Heat the milk in the microwave for 1 minute until warmed to 110℉. Sprinkle the yeast over the milk and let it sit for 10 minutes for yeast to activate.1 cup Milk, 2 ¼ teaspoon Active dry yeast
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the cubed butter and use a pastry kneader or your hands to knead the butter into the flour. Do this until the butter is the size of a pea.4 ¾ cups All-purpose flour, ¼ cup White granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Salt, 10 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Pour the milk/yeast mixture, eggs, and lemon zest into the dry ingredients.2 Large eggs, 2 Large lemons zested
- Use a stand mixer with a dough hook (make by hand instructions in recipe notes), and mix on low speed until a dough starts to form. Mix on medium speed and knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- Spray a large bowl with non-stick spray. Place the dough in the bowl and cover with a kitchen towel. Let it rise for 1 hour. It will double in size.
Lemon Raspberry Filling
- In a small bowl using a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Add in the sugar and lemon zest. Mix until smooth.½ cup Unsalted butter, ¾ cup White granulated sugar, 2 Large lemons zested
- Use your hands with the frozen raspberries to crumble the berries to small pieces.2 cups Frozen raspberry crumbles
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a large rectangle. Do this until the dough is ¼ inch thick.
- Spread the lemon filling over the dough, make sure to spread to the edges. Sprinkle the raspberries over the dough.
- Roll the dough into a log starting on the short side. Use a serrated knife and cut off the ends.
- Spray a 9X13 pan with baking nonstick spray. Cut the rolls into 12 even rolls and place into the pan. *overnight instructions in recipe notes
- Cover with a towel and let rise for 20 minutes. Then, pour the heavy cream between the rolls. Preheat the oven to 375℉½ cup Heavy cream
- Bake for 23-27 minutes. Bake until the top of the rolls are lightly golden.
Lemon Raspberry Cream Cheese Icing
- Place ⅓ cup of frozen berries onto a plate. Heat in the microwave for 20 seconds. *If using fresh berries skip this step.2 tablespoon Mashed raspberries
- Use a potato masher or a fork to mash the berries. Set aside.
- In a small bowl using a hand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese on high speed for 1 minute.4 tablespoon Unsalted butter, 4 oz Cream cheese
- Add in the powdered sugar and mix on low speed until just combined. Then, mix on medium speed until smooth. Add in the mashed raspberries, lemon zest, and vanilla. Mix on low until combined.1 cup Powdered sugar, 1 Large lemon zest, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Once the rolls are done baking, use a spoon to spread the icing.