This lemon blueberry cheesecake is a baked cheesecake. It has a graham cracker crust, lemon cheesecake with frozen wild blueberries, and a lemon whipped cream on top. The lemon and blueberry complement each other to make for an amazing dessert.
This lemon blueberry cheesecake is the perfect dessert for anyone who loves a fruit cheesecake. With wild blueberries throughout the whole cheesecake and lemon flavored whipped cream on top, each bite is pure heaven. It is a guaranteed hit every time.
Why This Recipe Works
- Lemon flavor- This lemon cheesecake has such a refreshing and delicious flavor. It would be great on its own even before adding blueberry! Even the whipped cream is lemon flavored!
- Blueberries- The blueberries bring an already great cheesecake to another level. They are the perfect fruit pairing in this dessert.
- Perfect texture- Cheesecakes were my first baking love and I have spent a lot of time testing to get the perfect cheesecake texture. It is just the right balance of fluffy and creamy.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- The butter is melted for the crust. You can melt this in the microwave.
- Sour Cream- Use full fat sour cream or greek yogurt. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream cheese. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking so they are room temperature. I use whole eggs, not egg white for the fatty yolk.
- Frozen wild blueberries- I use wild blueberries because they are smaller and distribute throughout the cheesecake better.
Step By Step Instructions - Graham Cracker Crust
Here is how to make and bake this graham cracker crust.
STEP 1: Prep. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Then, spray a 9 inch springform pan with baking spray. Line the bottom of it with a parchment paper circle and spray it again.
STEP 2: Blend graham crackers and butter. Blend the graham crackers to fine crumbs with a food processor. Then, combine the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and melted butter in a small bowl with a fork.
STEP 3: Form crust. Pour the crumb mixture in the prepared pan. Press the crust half way up the sides of the pan. Next, use the back of a measuring cup to compact the bottom of the crust.
STEP 4: Bake crust. Bake the crust for 11 minutes.
Step By Step Instructions - Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake
Here is how to make and bake this lemon blueberry cheesecake. This recipe uses an electric mixer. A stand mixer with paddle attachment or a hand mixer will work.
STEP 1: Beat cream cheese and sugar. Use a large bowl and a mixer to beat the cream cheese and sugar together for 2 minutes on high speed. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
STEP 2: Mix ingredients. Add the vanilla extract, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sour cream to the cream cheese mixture. Mix it until smooth. Then, add in the eggs and mix them in on low speed until just combined.
STEP 3: Add blueberries. Add the blueberries to the cheesecake batter. Fold them in with a rubber spatula. Be sure to be gentle so you get a swirl of blue not a solid blue cheesecake.
STEP 4: Prep for bake. Add the cheesecake batter to the crust in an even layer. Then, start a water bath using one of the methods listed in the water bath section below.
STEP 5: Bake cheesecake. Bake the cheesecake for 80-90 minutes. This is longer than most cheesecake due to the lemon juice and blueberries. The cheesecake is done baking when the edges are set and the middle has a slight jiggle.
STEP 6: Cool. Once the cheesecake is done baking, turn the oven off and crack the door open.. Let the cheesecake cool with the oven for 30 minutes before transferring the cheesecake to a cooling rack.
STEP 7: Chill. Once the cheesecake has cooled completely wrap it in foil and place it in the fridge. It needs to chill for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Step By Step Instructions - Lemon Whipped Cream
Here is how to make the lemon whipped cream and decorate the cheesecake.
STEP 1: Prep. Place a metal bowl and whisk attachment for a mixer in the freezer for 10 minutes.
STEP 2: Beat whipped cream. Using a mix with the cold bowl and whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream, lemon zest, and powdered sugar on high speed until stiff peaks form.
STEP 3: Top cheesecake. Take the cheesecake out of the pan and remove the parchment paper. Pipe the lemon whipped cream on top of the cheesecake. Place extra lemon slices and blueberries on top as well.
Water Bath Tips
The water bath provides a moist environment for the cheesecake. This is because of the steam. When it is too dry, it will create cracks in the cheesecake.
Here are two techniques to try. They both use a roasting pan with hot steaming water.
- Place the springform pan inside a 10 inch cake pan. Place the cake pan in the roasting pan. Fill the pan with the hot water (about halfway up the cake pan)
- Wrap the springform pan with foil twice very tightly. Place the springform pan inside the roasting pan. Fill the pan halfway up with hot water.
My favorite method is the first one. This won't let any water at all get into the crust. It makes baking cheesecake so easy!
The second option gives the chance to get water inside and create a soggy crust.
Preventing Cheesecake Cracks
Beat the wet ingredients minus the eggs on high speed. Everything need to be super creamy and smooth. Chunks of cream cheese can cause cracks.
Add eggs on low speed. The goal is to have as little air as possible when mixing the eggs. Too much air can cause big bubbles in the cheesecake batter. It will make the cheesecake rise and fall too quickly when baking. Which causes cracks.
Use a water bath. This is essential! See below for cheesecake tips.
Cool the cheesecake. Once the cheesecake is done baking, it needs to sit in the hot oven for 30 minutes. This lets it cool slowly.
If you were to put the cheesecake on the counter right after done baking, it will be too quick of a temperature change, which cause cracks.
How To Easily Remove The Cheesecake From The Pan
First, spray the springform pan with baking non stick spray. Next, line the bottom of the pan with 9 inch parchment paper circle. Make sure to spray the pan again.
Then, after the cheesecake has chilled overnight. The springform pan should pop right off. If it doesn't very gently use a knife around the edge of the cheesecake to pop it off.
Then, you should be able to lay the cheesecake on it's side to take off the bottom of pan and the parchment circle.
Divide this recipe into thirds to make 12 mini cheesecake. Bake in a muffin pan for 18-20 minutes. Follow this Mini Oreo Cheesecakes for detailed instructions for mini cheesecakes.
You can halve the recipe to make these into lemon blueberry cheesecake bars using 8X8 or 9X9 inch baking pan (use 16 oz of cream cheese). You can also use a 8 inch springform pan. If you want to use a 6 inch springform pan, half the recipe, but use 16 oz of cream cheese. Adjust the baking time as it bakes faster in a larger pan since it is thinner.
First, make sure the cheesecake is very cold. Then, use a sharp knife to cut the slices. Clean the knife after every slice.
Storing and Freezing
Store this lemon blueberry cheesecake in the fridge in an airtight container like a cake carrier. Chill up to 5 days.
You can freeze the lemon blueberry cheesecake in individual slices. Store in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
You can also freeze the cheesecake before decorating. Wrap the cooled cheesecake (it needs to chill in the fridge overnight first), in plastic wrap and freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1-2 hours before decorating.
Other Cheesecake Recipes To Try
Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake
Graham Cracker Crust
- 2 ½ cups Graham cracker crumbs fine crumb. Two sleeves of crackers.
- ¼ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- 10 tablespoon Unsalted butter melted
Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake
- 24 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large lemon zested
- ¼ cup Lemon juice
- ½ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 4 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ cups Frozen wild blueberries
Lemon Whipped Cream
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1 Small lemon zested
- 2 tablespoon Powdered sugar
Graham Cracker Crust
- Preheat the oven to 325℉. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with baking spray. Line the bottom with a parchment paper circle. Spray again.
- Using a food processor, blend the graham crackers into a fine crumb. In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and melted butter with a fork.2 ½ cups Graham cracker crumbs, ¼ cup Brown sugar, 10 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- Pour the crumbs into the pan. Use your hands to press the crust halfway up the sides of the pan. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to compact the bottom of the crust down.
- Bake for 11 minutes.
Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake
- Using a mixer in a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar on high speed for 2 minutes. Scrape the bowl.24 oz Cream cheese, ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- Add in the vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sour cream. Mix until smooth. Add in the eggs. Mix on low speed until just combined.1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 2 Large lemon zested, ¼ cup Lemon juice, ½ cup Sour cream, 4 Large eggs
- Add in the blueberries. Use a rubber spatula to fold the blueberries in. They will cause a swirl look, so go gentle!1 ½ cups Frozen wild blueberries
- Add the cheesecake batter to the crust. Start the water bath.Water bath. Use one of these methods for a water bath. Both methods use a large roasting pan and hot steaming water.1. Place the springform pan in a 10 inch cake pan. Place the cake pan in the roasting pan and fill with hot water halfway up the cake pan. This method prevent water getting into the crust.2. Wrap the springform pan tightly twice in aluminum foil. Place the springform pan inside the roasting pan. Fill with hot water halfway up the springform pan. This method works great, but can sometimes leak water into the crust.
- Bake the cheesecake for 80-90 minutes. This has a longer bake time because of the lemon juice and blueberries. The cheesecake is done baking when the edges are set and the middle has a very slight jiggle.
- Once it is done baking, turn off the oven, crack open the door, and let the cheesecake sit for 30 minutes. Then, transfer the springform pan to a cooling rack.
- Cool the cheesecake completely. Then, wrap in foil and place in the fridge. Chill for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Lemon Whipped Cream
- Place a metal bowl and a whisk attachment into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Using a mixer and the cold bowl, beat the heavy cream, lemon zest, and powdered sugar on high speed. Beat until stiff peaks form.1 cup Heavy cream, 1 Small lemon zested, 2 tablespoon Powdered sugar
- Take the cheesecake out of the pan and remove the parchment paper. Pipe the lemon whipped cream on top. Top with extra lemon slices and blueberries.