This blueberry coffee cake is a super soft and moist cake. It is filled with wild blueberries with a cinnamon crumble topping and a lemon glaze. This coffee cake balances soft coffee cake with crunchy top and sweet blueberry bread with tart lemon glaze. It is a a step up from blueberry muffins!
This blueberry coffee cake recipe is a carefully balanced combination of juicy blueberries, lemon, and cinnamon. It is the best way to start your day with your cup of coffee whether for a special occasion or just to treat yourself. This lemon blueberry coffee cake recipe is an upgrade from the classic coffee cake recipe and you won't want to go back!
Why This Recipe Works
- Perfect texture- This coffee cake is wonderfully soft and moist.
- Cinnamon Crumble- The crunchy streusel topping gives a crunch on top of the soft cake that is very satisfying.
- Lemon glaze- The simple glaze on top gives this coffee cake an extra kick of flavor!
- Balanced flavors- I put a lot of work into making sure that all of the flavors come through well so this tastes like blueberry, but still has strong cinnamon and lemon flavors.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- The butter needs to be melted and cooled. If it is too warm, it affects the texture of both the topping and the cake.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs outs 2 hours before using.
- Sour cream- You can also use plain greek yogurt. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Frozen blueberries- The frozen wild blueberries are best as wild blueberries because they are smaller than regular blueberries which allows them to spread more evenly and decreases the chances of them sinking in the batter. You can substitute fresh blueberries.
- Powdered sugar- This needs to be sifted to avoid a grainy glaze.
- Milk- Use any milk you would like.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake this blueberry coffee cake. you will need an electric mixer. A stand mixer with paddle attachment or hand mixer will work.
STEP 1: Prep. Heat oven to 350°F and spray an 8x8 square pan with baking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper that rises out of 2 sides and spray again.
STEP 2: Mix topping. In a medium bowl, mix brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, cinnamon, and flour.
Add the melted butter and mix with a fork. Place the topping in the fridge.
STEP 3: Dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Use a small bowl to mix the blueberries and flour. Set it aside.
STEP 4: Wet ingredients. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the sugar and butter on high speed for 2 minutes. Then, add the eggs, vanilla extract, sour cream, and milk and mix on medium speed until fully combined.
STEP 5: Combine. Add the flour mixture to the wet and mix on low speed until just combined. Then, add the blueberries and use a rubber spatula to gently fold them in.
STEP 6: Bake. Pour batter in an even layer in the prepared pan and place the crumble made earlier on top of the batter.
Bake for 55-60 minutes cook time until a cake tester (or toothpick) that is inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
STEP 7: Cool. Let the cake sit in the hot pan for 10 minutes as the cooking completes before transferring to a wire rack.
STEP 8: Glaze. Make sure the cake is completely cool before adding the glaze.
Mix the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and milk in a small mixing bowl. Then, drizzle it over the cake.
Expert Baking Tips
- Properly measure the flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour. Compacted flour can cause the cake to be dry.
- To easily remove the cake from the pan. Make sure to first spray the pan with baking nonstick spray. Then, line the bottom with parchment paper, so when it is time to remove the cake, it can be easily lifted out of the pan.
- For high altitude baking add 2 tablespoon of flour to the coffee cake batter.
- Don't add your lemon glaze until the coffee cake is fully cooled to prevent it melting into the cake too much.
You can use a 9x9 pan for a thinner coffee cake. You can also double the recipe for a 9x13 pan.
A coffee cake is a single layer cake with a cinnamon flavor with a streusel on top. This recipe adds blueberries, too!
Yes you can! This will make 24 muffins. Bake for 16-20 minutes.
Storing and Freezing
Store the blueberry coffee cake in an airtight container at room temperature up to 5 days.
Wrap the individual slices in plastic wrap or use an airtight container. Freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw on the counter for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Breakfast Recipes To Try
Blueberry Coffee Cake
Cinnamon Crumb Topping
- ¼ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoon Unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 2 tablespoon Milk
- 1 cup Heaping cup of wild blueberries frozen. You can also use fresh blueberries.
- 1 tablespoon All-purpose flour to coat the blueberries
- 1 cup Powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Milk
Cinnamon Crumb Topping
- Preheat the oven 350°F. Spray an 8X8-inch square pan with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides with parchment paper and spray again.
- In a medium bowl, mix the brown sugar, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and flour. Add in the melted butter and use a fork to mix until combined. Place in the fridge while you make the batter.¼ cup Brown sugar, ¼ cup White granulated sugar, ¼ teaspoon Salt, ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon, ¾ cup All-purpose flour, 5 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, combine blueberries and flour. Set aside.2 cups All-purpose flour, 2 teaspoon Baking powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking soda, ¼ teaspoon Salt, 1 cup Heaping cup of wild blueberries, 1 tablespoon All-purpose flour
- Using a mixer, beat the sugar and butter on high speed for 2 minutes. Then, add in the eggs, vanilla, sour cream, and milk. Mix on medium speed until completely combined.½ cup Unsalted butter, 1 ¼ cup White granulated sugar, 2 Large eggs, 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ½ cup Sour cream, 2 tablespoon Milk
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined. Take off the mixer. Add in the blueberries and use a rubber spatula to gently mixed it in.
- Spread the batter into the pan. Take the crumble out of the fridge and sprinkle it on top.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake sit in the hot pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Let it cool completely before adding the glaze.
- In a small bowl, mix the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and milk. Then, drizzle the lemon glaze on top of the coffee cake.1 cup Powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon Lemon juice, 1 tablespoon Milk