This layered chocolate truffle cake is super decadent chocolate. It is filled with chocolate frosting and swirled in melted Lindt truffles.
This chocolate truffle cake is perfect for the serious chocolate lovers in your life! The chocolate frosting and melted truffles make this cake a decadent dessert you won't forget! The only thing better for a special occasion than giving chocolates is showing your baking skills by making them into a beautiful cake. It's the perfect cake for valentine's day or a birthday if you want that wow factor.
Why This Chocolate Truffle Cake Recipe Works
- Soft layered cake- This cake has three cake layers that are super soft and moist!
- Chocolate truffles- Since this cake is filled with your favorite chocolate truffles it is guaranteed to be amazing.
- Chocolate frosting- This chocolate frosting is good enough to eat by itself and bring the cake to a new level.
Ingredient Notes for Decadent Chocolate Truffle Cake
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- I strongly recommend dutch process cocoa powder for a more rich chocolate flavor. This is the one I used.
- Oil- Use canola oil, vegetable oil, or olive oil.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Buttermilk- Use full fat or reduced fat buttermilk. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Hot water- The water needs to be steaming. The hot water helps to bloom the chocolate. You can also use hot coffee instead.
- Unsalted butter- Pull this out 2 hours before using to reach room temperature.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure to sift the powdered sugar to avoid a gritty frosting.
- Chocolate bar- Make sure you use semi-sweet. I recommend a bar over chocolate chips as they will not melt as smoothly.
- Chocolate truffles- I love Lindt chocolates, but you can substitute your favorite chocolate truffles as well.
- Dairy free- You can use your favorite dairy free options for this recipe!
- Gluten free- I haven't tested this gluten free. Let me know if you do.
- Truffles- You can also use Ghirardelli or Dove chocolates.
- Buttermilk- You can also do 1 cup of milk with 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes before using.
Step By Step Instructions- Chocolate Cake Batter and Chocolate Buttercream
Here is how to make and bake this chocolate truffle cake
For the cake layers, you don't need an electric mixer, it can be made by hand. For the frosting, use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer.
STEP 1: Melt the chocolate bars. Melt your chocolate in in a small bowl in 20 second intervals. Then, let it cool before using it.
STEP 2: Mix the dry ingredients. First, sift the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Then, add the white sugar.
STEP 3: Mix the wet ingredients. In a large bowl, mix the oil, vanilla extract, eggs, buttermilk, and melted chocolate using a whisk. Heat the water in a small saucepan until steaming.
Then, slowly whisk in the hot water in.
STEP 4: Pour. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Be careful not to overmix otherwise the cake can become tough.
Then pour ⅓ of the cake batter evenly into each prepared pan with parchment paper and baking nonstick spray.
STEP 5: Bake cake. Bake the cakes for 23-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
Cool the cakes on a wire rack completely before decorating.
STEP 6: Start the frosting. In a large mixing bowl, sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Set that aside and use your mixer to beat the butter on high speed for 3 minutes.
STEP 7: Beat frosting. Add in just half of the sugar chocolate mixture and mix on low speed until it starts to incorporate. Then add the rest of the sugar chocolate mix. Follow with the vanilla and salt. Beat it on high speed until the frosting is fluffy.
Assembling the Chocolate Truffle Cake Tips
- Items that will be helpful in cake decoration: turntable, icing offset spatula, straight icing spatula, cake scraper, cake leveler (or a bread knife), and a cake carrier.
- Cut the cake domes off of the chocolate cake layers by using a serrated knife. It needs to be as flat as possible.
- Melt the 10 Lindt truffles in 20 second intervals. Make sure to be ready to use them before they cool and thicken.
- Place the first chocolate cake layer down. Frost it with ¾ cup of frosting.
- Drizzle half of the melted truffles on top and swirl them in with a butter knife.
- Place your second layer on top. Frost with another ¾ cup of frosting and swirl in the remaining melted truffles.
- Place the last cake layer with the bottom facing up make the top of the cake as flat as possible.
- Frost the cake, including the sides of the cake, in a light layer of frosting and freeze for 15 minutes. This will set the frosting a provide a crumb coat to give a cleaner finish.
- Frost the cake the rest of the way and top the frosted cake with your extra truffles.
- Enjoy your decadent chocolate truffle cake!
Yes it can! Half the recipe to make 12 cupcakes. Bake in a muffin tin for 18-20 minutes.
You can also use two 9-inch cake pans, four 6-inch cake pans, or a 9X13-inch cake pan (half the frosting recipe for that one). Half the recipe to make three 6-inch cake pans, 8X8-inch square pan or 9X9-inch square pan.
Yes it can! Once the cake layers are done cooling, wrap tightly in cling wrap. Then, freeze up to 30 days. Pull it out 1 hour before decorating.
- White chocolate- You can use white chocolate truffles!
- Chocolate cream cheese frosting- If you want to use a chocolate cream cheese frosting check out this recipe!
- Cake pans: I use Wilton 8-inch cake pans.
- Parchment paper circles: I used 8-inch parchment paper circles for the bottom of the pan. I love to use the premade circles, so I don't have to cut it out of regular parchment paper.
- Baking spray: I use the nonstick spray that has flour in it.
- Offset spatula: I use this to easily spread the frosting or fillings.
- Cake turntable: I use this nice Ateco cast iron turntable because it is high quality and it spins seamlessly. Some other turntables are a little jerky when they turn.
- Cake scraper: I use a metal scraper to get smooth cakes.
- Piping bags: I like these 18- inch piping bags since they hold more.
- Piping tip: I love this Wilton 1M to pipe frosting.
Storing and Freezing
Store this chocolate truffle cake in an airtight container like a cake carrier. Store in the fridge up to 5 days.
You can freeze the chocolate truffle cake in individual cake slices. Place in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days.
Other Layered Cake Recipes To Try
Try these Chocolate Cake Recipes!
Chocolate Truffle Cake
- 2 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¾ cup Oil canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 4 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup Buttermilk room temperature
- 4 oz Semi-sweet chocolate bar melted. I used Lindt 70% chocolate
- 1 cup Hot water steaming
- 2 ½ cups Unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 ½ cups Powdered sugar sifted
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 10 Lindt truffles melted
- Lindt truffles for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray three 8-inch cake pans with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottoms with three 8-inch parchment paper circles and spray again.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave safe bowl. Melt in 20 second intervals. Then, let it cool before using.4 oz Semi-sweet chocolate bar
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Then, add in the sugar.2 ½ cups All-purpose flour, 1 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 ¾ cup White granulated sugar, 2 ½ teaspoon Baking powder, 1 ½ teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Salt
- In a large bowl, mix the oil, vanilla, eggs, buttermilk, and melted chocolate. Slowly mix in the hot water. Pour in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.¾ cup Oil, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 4 Large eggs, 1 cup Buttermilk, 1 cup Hot water
- Pour the cake batter into the 3 cake pans. Bake for 23-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cakes sit in the hot pans for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Cool the cake layers completely before using.
- In a large bowl, sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together. Then, set aside. Using a mixer, beat the butter on high speed for 3 minutes.3 ½ cups Powdered sugar, ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 ½ cups Unsalted butter
- Add in half of the powdered sugar and mix on low speed. Then, add the rest of the powdered sugar. Add in the vanilla and salt. Beat on high until fluffy.1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Melt the 10 Lindt truffles in the microwave in 20 second intervals. Do this right before you need it.10 Lindt truffles
- Use a serrated knife to cut the domes off the top of the cakes.
- Place the 1st cake layer down. Spread ¾ cup of frosting over the cake. Drizzle half of the melted truffle on top. Use a butter knife to swirl it in. Repeat with the second layer.
- Place the last layer of cake with the bottom of the cake facing up. Frost the cake in a light layer of frosting and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Frost the rest of the cake and top with truffles.Lindt truffles