This Toblerone cheesecake has a graham cracker crust, cheesecake that is filled with chopped Toblerone pieces. It is topped with chocolate ganache and more Toblerone pieces.
This Toblerone cheesecake is the best decadent dessert for any Toblerone fan. It is a delicious cheesecake for a special occasion that celebrates the swiss milk chocolate of Toblerones. A delicious baked cheesecake and toblerone chocolate combines two of my favorite things.
Why This Recipe Works
- Toblerone- The star of this dessert is the Toblerone chocolate, of course. It is one of my favorite candy bars and pairs perfectly with cheesecake. The almond nougat is also amazing.
- Creamy cheesecake- This is a creamy cheesecake with a perfect texture you can't stop eating.
- Chocolate ganache- The chocolate ganache makes this cheesecake look so good while adding another layer of creamy chocolate!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Toblerone- I used a 12.6 oz large bar for this recipe. I used about half inside of the cheesecake and kept the other 5 peaks for decoration.
- Unsalted butter- The butter is melted for the graham cracker crust. You can melt this in the microwave.
- Heavy Cream- Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Sour Cream- Use full fat sour cream or greek yogurt. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream cheese. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking so they are room temperature. I use whole egg, not egg white for the fatty yolk.
- Chocolate chips- For best results, use semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. I don't recommend milk chocolate chips because it will be too sweet.
Step By Step Instructions
STEP 1: Make the crust. Using a food processor, blend the graham crackers into fine crumbs. Mix them together with the melted butter using a fork.
STEP 2: Bake the crust. Pour the mixture into the bottom of 9-inch springform tin and use your hands to press the crust halfway up the sides of the pan. Then, use the back of a measuring cup to really compact the crust down.
Bake the crust for 10 minutes at 325 degree F.
STEP 3: Beat the cream cheese and sugar. Beat the full fat cream cheese and sugar in your mixer on high speed for 2 minutes.
STEP 4: Add wet ingredients. Add the sour cream, heavy cream, and vanilla extract to the cream cheese mixture. Mix on high speed until combined.
Add in the eggs one at a time while mixing on low speed.
STEP 5: Fold in Toblerone. Take the large bowl off of the mixer and fold in the little bits of Toblerone using a spatula.
STEP 6: Bake the cheesecake. Pour the cheesecake batter into the pan. Place the pan in your water bath using one of the hot water bath methods listed below.
Bake cheesecake for 60-75 minutes
STEP 7: Cool cheesecake. Turn off the oven and prop the oven door. Let the cheesecake slightly cool for 30 minutes.
Then finish cooling on a cooling rack until room temperature. Cover and chill in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight.
STEP 8: Make the chocolate ganache. Pour hot cream over the chocolate chips in a small microwaveable bowl. Let it sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds and mix until smooth and shiny.
If chocolate chunks remain microwave in 10 seconds intervals and stir until they are melted.
DECORATING THE CHEESECAKE
First thing, remove the cheesecake from the pan. Tilt it on it's side to remove the parchment paper.
Next, pour the chocolate ganache over the cheesecake. For drips down the side, use an offset spatula to push the chocolate over the edge of the cheesecake.
Top the cheesecake with chopped Toblerone pieces to finish the look.
Good news, it is all done!
Water Bath Tips
The water bath provides a moist environment for the cheesecake. This is because of the steam. When it is too dry, it will create cracks in the cheesecake.
Here are two techniques to try. They both use a roasting pan with hot steaming water.
- Place the springform pan inside a 10 inch cake pan. Place the cake pan in the roasting pan. Fill the pan with the hot water (about halfway up the cake pan)
- Wrap the springform pan with foil twice very tightly. Place the springform pan inside the roasting pan. Fill the pan halfway up with hot water.
My favorite method is the first one. This won't let any water at all get into the crust. It makes baking cheesecake so easy!
The second option gives the chance to get water inside and create a soggy crust.
Preventing Cheesecake Cracks
Beat the wet ingredients minus the eggs on high speed. Everything need to be super creamy and smooth. Chunks of cream cheese can cause cracks.
Add eggs on low speed. The goal is to have as little air as possible when mixing the eggs. Too much air can cause big bubbles in the cheesecake batter. It will make the cheesecake rise and fall too quickly when baking. Which causes cracks.
Use a water bath. This is essential! See below for cheesecake tips.
Cool the cheesecake. Once the cheesecake is done baking, it needs to sit in the hot oven for 30 minutes. This lets it cool slowly.
If you were to put the cheesecake on the counter right after it is done baking, it will be too quick of a temperature change, which cause cracks. Using a wire rack is a good idea even after cooling in the oven.
How To Easily Remove The Cheesecake From The Pan
First, spray the springform pan with baking non stick spray. Next, line the bottom of the pan with 9 inch parchment paper circle. Make sure to spray the pan again.
Then, after the cheesecake has chilled overnight. The springform pan should pop right off. If it doesn't, very gently run knife around the edge of the cheesecake to pop it off.
Then, you should be able to lay the cheesecake on it's side to take off the bottom of pan and the parchment circle.
Divide this recipe into thirds to make 12 mini cheesecake. Bake in a muffin pan for 18-20 minutes. Follow this Mini Oreo Cheesecakes for instructions for mini cheesecakes.
You can halve the recipe to make these into cheesecake bars using 8X8 or 9X9 inch baking pan (use 16 oz of cream cheese). You can also use a 8 inch springform pan. If you want to use a 6 inch springform pan, half the recipe, but use 16 oz of cream cheese.
First, make sure the cheesecake is very cold. Then, use a sharp knife to cut the slices. Clean the knife after every slice.
Storing and Freezing
Store this Toblerone cheesecake in the fridge in an airtight container like a cake carrier. Chill up to 5 days.
You can freeze the Toblerone cheesecake in individual slices. Store in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
You can also freeze the cheesecake before decorating. Wrap the cooled cheesecake (it needs to chill in the fridge overnight first), in plastic wrap and freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1-2 hours before decorating.
Other Cheesecake Recipes To Try
Graham Cracker Crust
- 2 ½ cups Graham cracker crumbs Use 2 sleeves of graham crackers and blend to a fine crumb.
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- 10 tablespoon Unsalted butter melted
- 24 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup White granulated sugar
- ½ cup Sour cream room temperature
- ¼ cup Heavy cream room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 4 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ cups Chopped Toblerone pieces
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Heavy cream
Graham Cracker Crust
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Spray a 9 or 8 inch springform pan with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and spray again.
- Using a blender, blend the graham crackers into a fine crumb. Then, mix in the sugar and melted butter.2 ½ cups Graham cracker crumbs, ¼ cup White granulated sugar, 10 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- Pour the crumbs into the springform pan. Press the crust halfway up the sides of the pan. Compact the crust by using the bottom of a measuring cup.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Chop the Toblerone into small pieces. Set aside.1 ½ cups Chopped Toblerone pieces
- Using a mixer, beat the cream cheese and sugar on high speed for 2 minutes. Add the sour cream, heavy cream, and vanilla. Mix on high speed until combined.24 oz Cream cheese, 1 cup White granulated sugar, ½ cup Sour cream, ¼ cup Heavy cream, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Scrape the bowl using a rubber spatula, add the eggs one at a time and mix in until low speed. Take off the mixer and fold in the chopped Toblerone pieces.4 Large eggs
- Pour the batter on top of the graham cracker crust and prepare the water bath.
- Water bath. Use one of these methods for a water bath. Both methods use a large roasting pan and hot steaming water.1. Place the springform pan in a 10 inch cake pan. Place the cake pan in the roasting pan and fill with hot water halfway up the cake pan. This method prevent water getting into the crust.2. Wrap the springform pan tightly twice in aluminum foil. Place the springform pan inside the roasting pan. Fill with hot water halfway up the springform pan. This method works great, but can sometimes leak water into the crust.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes until the edges are set and the middle has a slight jiggle.
- Turn off the oven, crack open the door, and let the cheesecake sit for 30 minutes to slowly cool.
- Place the pan on a cooling rack and cool completely. Wrap in foil or plastic wrap. Chill overnight or at least 6 hours.
- In a small bowl, add the chocolate chips. Heat the heavy cream in a small pan over medium-low heat. Heat until hot and steaming.1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips, ½ cup Heavy cream
- Add the hot cream over the chocolate chips. Let it sit for 2 minutes before mixing with a rubber spatula. If any chocolate chunks remain, heat for 10 second intervals until melted.
- Take the springform pan and the parchment paper off of the cheesecake. Pour the chocolate ganache over the top of the cheesecake.
- Chill for 10 minutes before adding Toblerone and mini chocolate chips as decoration.