These black forest cookies have all the flavors of black forest in chewy cookies! These are soft chocolate cookies with crisp edges that have fresh cherries, white chocolate chips, and chocolate chips. They are the best cookie to make when you have fresh cherries.
These black forest cookies are incredible. They have pockets of fresh cherries mixed in with white chocolate chips in the chocolate cookies. They are perfect to make when it is cherry season!
I wanted to make cookies that are like the black forest dessert. They have both white chocolate chip and regular chocolate chips. They are like rich triple chocolate cookies with cherries!
Why This Recipe Works
- Chocolate cookies- These are a chewy chocolate cookie full of cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
- Chewy cookie- These have chewy centers with crisp edges. The cherries in the center make them taste like a fudgy cookie.
- Cherries- The star of the show is the cherries. This recipe uses fresh cherries to give it a strong cherry flavor.
- White chocolate- In black forest there is usually whipped cream. Since there is no whipped cream in the cookies, I used white chocolate chips.
Here are some notes on the ingredients for these chocolate cherry cookies. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- For best results, use dutch process cocoa powder. This give you a more rich cookie. This is the cocoa powder I use.
- Unsalted butter- The butter needs to be melted and cooled before using. It needs to be room temperature.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Cherries- You can use fresh, frozen cherries, or maraschino cherries. If you are using frozen, let them thaw first before using. For Maraschino cherries, make sure they are dried. Cut the cherries into small pieces. Don't use cherry pie filling. I haven't tested if dried cherries will work.
- White chocolate chips- Use high quality white chocolate chips. I like Ghirardelli white chocolate chips.
- Chocolate chips- I used semisweet chocolate chips. You can also use dark chocolate chips. I don't recommend milk chocolate chips because it will be too sweet.
What Is Black Forest?
Black forest cake is originally from Germany. It consists of chocolate, whipped cream, cherries, and Kirsch. Kirsch is an alcohol mixed in with the cherries.
These cookies don't have alcohol, but they have cherries, chocolate, and white chocolate!
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these chewy chocolate cookies. This recipe is made using two bowls with a rubber spatula. You don't need an electric mixer to make these cookies.
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
STEP 2: Cut the cherries. Make sure to pit the cherries and cut them into small pieces.
STEP 3: Mix the wet ingredients. First, melt butter in the microwave and let it come to room temperature. In a large bowl, mix the melted butter, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs. Use a rubber spatula to mix it together.
STEP 4: Add flour mixture. Mix in the flour mixture until combined. Then, add in the chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and cherries. Fold these in until combined.
STEP 5: Scoop the dough. Use a large cookie scoop to scoop the cookie dough. Use a 3oz cookie scoop. Place 6 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet. Place parchment paper on the cookie sheets.
STEP 6: Bake. Bake the cookies one sheet at a time. Bake for 13-15 minutes until the edges are set.
TIP: When the cookies are warm, add extra chocolate chips and white chocolate chips to the top of the cookies.
Cool the cookies on a cooling rack or wire rack.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour. Compacted flour can cause the cookies to not spread.
- If the cookies are spreading, make sure you are using parchment paper on the cookie sheet and the butter needs to be room temperature and not warm. If the cookies are still spreading too much, add an extra 2 Tablespoons of flour. This will help with the spread.
- If the cookies look too fudgy on top, this is because of the juice of the cherries. Cook it for an extra 2-3 minutes.
Yes you can, they will be less chewy though. Use a 1oz cookie scoop and place 12 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet. Bake for 8-11 minutes.
Yes they can! Store the cookie dough balls in an airtight container or use plastic wrap. Store in the freezer for 30 days. Let the cookie dough balls thaw completely before baking.
Yes you can. However, I recommend making them into cookie dough balls first before chilling overnight. Then, let it come to room temperature before baking.
Storing and Freezing
Store these black forest cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. Store up to 5 days.
The black forest cookies can be frozen. Store in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Cookie Recipes To Try
Black Forest Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder for best results use dutch process cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter melted and cooled
- ¾ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup White chocolate chips Plus more to top the cookies
- ½ cup Semisweet chocolate chips Plus more to top the cookies
- 1 cup Fresh cherries Washed, pitted, and cut into quarters
- Melt the butter in the microwave and let it chill for 10-15 minutes until it is room temperature. Prepare the cherries and cut them into small quarters.1 cup Unsalted butter, 1 cup Fresh cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.2 ¼ cups All-purpose flour, ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, ½ teaspoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Salt
- In a large bowl, add melted butter, brown sugar, sugar, vanilla, and eggs. Use a rubber spatula to mix until smooth.1 cup Unsalted butter, ¾ cup Brown sugar, ¾ cup White granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 2 Large eggs
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until combined. It will be a soft dough. Add the white chocolate chips, chocolate chips, and fresh cherries.1 cup White chocolate chips, ½ cup Semisweet chocolate chips, 1 cup Fresh cherries
- Use a large cookie scoop (3oz cookie scoop) to scoop the dough. Place 6 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time. Bake for 13-15 minutes. While warm, top with extra chocolate chips and white chocolate chips.
- Let the cookie sit on hot pan for 10 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack to cool.