These ham and cheese scones are super soft savory scones. These cheese scones are full of cheddar cheese, ham, and 4 types of spices! They are perfect for easter, mothers day, or a tea party. They are the first thing to be eaten at every party.
These ham and cheese scones are a fun and classy way to feed your guests. They fit in at any brunch or luncheon! These triangle scones are large enough to leave each guest satisfied and taste great with the classic ham and cheese and herb flavors. My husband and son also love to keep the leftovers for a snack.
Why This Recipe Works
- Ham and cheese- Ham and cheese is a classic for a reason. They fit in at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The savory ham and cheddar cheese go perfectly together.
- Fulfilling- Each of these homemade scones is large and satisfying enough that your guests will only be reaching for another because they taste so good. You can cut them into smaller pieces if you just want an appetizer!
- Soft texture- These tender scones are satisfying to eat. Nothing is worse than a dry or hard scone, and you have nothing to worry about with these scones.
- Party food- This savory scone recipe will make a flavorful meal with a bold flavor that will satisfy everyone.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Egg- Pull the large egg out of the refrigerator 2 hours before using to get to room temperature. Also, make sure to light beat the egg first.
- Unsalted butter- Make sure the cold butter doesn't warm up before using.
- Milk- Use any milk you wish.
- Ham- I used very thin slices of deli ham. Make sure you do not have large chunks of ham. You only need a little so it is perfect for leftover ham.
- Cheese- I prefer medium cheddar cheese, but sharp cheddar cheese or your favorite cheese of similar flavor will work as will if you prefer the flavor.
- Flour- Sift the flour before you combine flour with the other ingredients to avoid flour lumps.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these ham and cheese scones.
STEP 1: Prep ingredients. Cut the butter into small pieces. Then, place them in the freezer. Also, shred the cheese and dice the ham.
STEP 2: Knead butter in. Mix all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, chives, and parsley in a large bowl. Add the frozen butter and knead it in until the butter lumps are the size of a pea.
STEP 3: Combine. Mix in the cheddar cheese and ham. Then, in a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk and egg together. Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in the egg mixture.
STEP 4: Form dough. Use a rubber spatula to mix it until it starts to form a dough ball. Gently knead the rest of the flour into the dough. The goal is to handle the dough as little as possible.
STEP 5: Chill dough. Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Then, place the dough on the prepared baking sheet and form it into an 8-inch disc. The dough should be very sticky. Place the dough in the freezer for 15 minutes.
STEP 6: Form triangles. Place parchment paper on another large baking sheet. Cut the large circle into 8 wedges. Place the pieces on the lined baking sheet 2 inches apart.
STEP 7: Egg wash. Mix the egg with a splash of milk in a small bowl. Use a pastry brush to egg wash the top of the scones.
STEP 8: Bake. Heat oven to 400°F. Keep the dough in the freezer until it is ready. Then, bake the cookie sheet of scones for 18-22 minutes on the second rack up. The baked scones are done when the tops are lightly golden brown.
Expert Baking Tips
- If you don't have a pastry cutter, you can use 2 forks or use your hands. The goal is to shred the butter until it is pea sized.
- When making these scones, it is SO important to not over mix the dough.
- When you are kneading by hand the dough will still be dry. There will be dry ingredients bit on the bottom of the bowl. This is how it should look!
- If you are kneading and it is completely smooth, that means you over mixed it. Over mixed scone dough will be dry and tough. You want to work dough as little as possible for this.
- Don't skip the freezer step. The butter in the dough needs to be cold before going in the oven.
This means you probably over mixed the dough! It should be soft and moist inside the scones.
When you bake the scones close together (about 2 inches apart) they will rise together. This gives them a more even rise.
If you do not have buttermilk you can use put ⅔ cup milk in a bowl and mix in 2 teaspoons of lemon juice or white vinegar. Let it sit for 5 minutes to thicken and curdle a bit. This makes a buttermilk substitute.
Storing and Freezing
These ham and cheese scones should be stored in the fridge in an airtight container. Store up to 5 days. They are best a little warm.
Wrap the scones in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 2 hours before glazing.
Other Bread Recipes To Try
Ham and Cheese Scones
- ½ cup Unsalted butter cold chopped into small pieces.
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon White granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 tablespoon Dried chives
- 2 tablespoon Dried parsley
- ¾ cups Shredded medium cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup Deli sliced ham chopped into small pieces. I used 3 slices.
- ⅔ cup Buttermilk room temperature
- 1 Large egg room temperature
- Milk for the egg wash
- Egg for the egg wash
- Shredded parmesan cheese on top of the scones.
- First, cut the butter into small pieces. Then, place in the freezer to firm up while you mix the dry ingredients. Make sure to shred the cheddar cheese and chop the ham before taking the butter out of the freezer.½ cup Unsalted butter, ¾ cups Shredded medium cheddar cheese, ¾ cup Deli sliced ham
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, chives, and parsley. Add in the frozen butter. Use a pastry kneader (or your hands) to knead the butter into the dry ingredients. Do this until the butter is the size of a pea.2 cups All-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon White granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon Garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon Black pepper, 2 tablespoon Dried chives, 2 tablespoon Dried parsley
- Add in the cheddar cheese and the ham. In a small bowl, mix the buttermilk and egg together. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add in the wet ingredients.⅔ cup Buttermilk, 1 Large egg
- Use a rubber spatula to mix until it starts to form a ball. Then, use your hands to very lightly knead the rest of the flour into the dough. The goal is to handle the dough as little as possible.
- Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Place the dough on the cookie sheet. Form into an 8 inch circle. The dough will be very sticky.
- Place the dough in the freezer for 15 minutes to firm up. Prepare another cookie sheet with parchment paper. Cut the circle into 8 triangles. Place the triangles on the other cookie sheet. Place them 2 inches apart.
- In a small bowl mix the egg with a splash of milk together. Use a pastry brush to brush the egg wash on top of the scones. Then, top with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.Milk, Egg, Shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the scones back in the freezer while the oven preheats to prevent spreading.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes. Place a cookie sheet on the second rack in the oven, this prevents the bottoms from over browning. Bake until the tops are lightly golden.