This honey butter cornbread makes the perfect side for your dinner. It is a fluffy and tall cornbread that is very buttery and full of honey. It is topped with a homemade honey butter. The best news is the cornbread can be made in one bowl.
I have been making a version of this cornbread for forever to go with holiday dinners or with chili. This cornbread is different because I added honey to the batter to give it extra flavor!
Why You Will Love This
- One bowl recipe. This recipe is made in one bowl. Although, the honey butter gets made in a separate bowl.
- Easy to make. The cornbread is made using simple ingredients.
- Honey butter. To really up this cornbread, it has a homemade honey butter.
- Yellow cornmeal- I used Quaker's version.
- Butter- The butter needs to be cooled slightly before using. Otherwise, it will cook the eggs.
- Honey- Using real honey is key!
- Oil- You can use canola or vegetable oil.
- Milk- I used 2% milk. You can use any milk.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake this cornbread.
STEP 1: Mix wet ingredients. Mix butter, honey, oil, milk, and eggs.
STEP 2: Add in dry ingredients. Next, mix in flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined. There will be slight lumps, but mostly it will be a smooth batter.
STEP 3: Pour batter. Pour the batter into a 9X13 pan.
STEP 4: Bake the cornbread. Bake the cornbread for 30-40 minutes. It will be lightly golden brown on top.
STEP 5: Cool the bread. Cool the cornbread for 15 minutes before cutting into it. When cutting it warm, it will be slightly messy.
STEP 6: Make the honey butter. Beat the butter, honey, and salt on high for 3 minutes.
Video Step By Step
The cornbread is best when you pull out the milk and eggs 2 hours before baking. Room temperature ingredients gives the cornbread a better rise.
In order to make soft honey butter, it is crucial to have room temperature butter. Pull this out 2 hours before baking too.
Yes you can. You can put the honey butter on top of the cornbread and heat it up in the microwave. However, the honey butter is best at room temperature.
Yes you can! Just half the recipe.
Yes you can. Place foil over the pan and bake for 5 minutes until warm.
Storing and Freezing
Store these honey butter cornbread at room temperature in an airtight container. Store up to 5 days. Then, store the honey butter up to 2 days at room temperature and then store in the fridge.
Store this cornbread in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days. Let it thaw for 1 hour before eating. It is best a little warm.
Other Easy Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Honey Butter Cornbread
- 2 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup White granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoon Honey
- ½ cup Oil canola or vegetable
- 1 ¼ cup Milk room temperature
- 3 Large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 tablespoon Honey
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9X13 pan with baking non stick spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides with parchment paper and spray again. Melt the butter in the microwave and let it cool for 5 minutes.½ cup Unsalted butter
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter, honey, oil, milk, and eggs. Add in flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined.2 ½ cups All-purpose flour, 1 cup Yellow cornmeal, 1 cup White granulated sugar, 1 ½ tablespoon Baking powder, 1 teaspoon Salt, ½ cup Unsalted butter, 2 tablespoon Honey, ½ cup Oil, 1 ¼ cup Milk, 3 Large eggs
- Pour batter into pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes. It will be lightly golden brown on top.
- Let the cornbread cool in the pan for 15 minutes before cutting into it.
- Using a mixer with a whisk attachment, beat butter, honey, and salt. The butter HAS to be room temperature in order to mix well.½ cup Unsalted butter, 3 tablespoon Honey, ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- Beat for 3 minutes. It will be light and fluffy. Spread on top of cornbread.